WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WUS.jpg

Glycine Heritage Facebook Fan Page: https://www.facebook.com/GlycineHeritage

It was 20th May 1914, when Eugène Meylan created the Glycine Watch Company. On the occasion of the new year, where it will be celebrating its centennial, all Glycine owners, enthusiasts and followers are welcome to join this event.

The company lead by Mr. Stephan Lack and his team are the lucky ones who will be remembered for this once in a lifetime event. For them, who were following the posts in this forum would remember the interview I've done with him. He, from the very beginning was aware of the brand's heritage and was committed to develop the products by keeping its DNA.

My enthusiasm for Glycine timepieces and curiosity lead me to create the largest Glycine vintage watches collection and documented archives. This has not gone unrecognized by the company and as of last week we've started a volunteer cooperation.

The Bienne made Glycine will resurrect and support its 100 year heritage and made a first step by supporting my Facebook fan page of Glycine vintage watches. Glycine Watch SA assigned me also a corporate email address which I will be sharing with the team for vintage concerns. We will be trying to address enthusiasts' and owner's related vintage questions through this email contact:
[email protected]

I encourage you all friends and members, to have a look at our Glycine Heritage Facebook Page, ' like ' and share your thoughts and watches with us, and of course your feedback.I've learned everything on WUS therefore am very thankful to Ernie and the team who created and manages this organization.I believe that the knowledge level here can create a pleasant sharing atmosphere at any platform.

The company has created a new logo/banner for the 100th year. Given the strong ties with aviation, especially in the 60s and 70s within AOPA, USAF personnel, airman in large scale and still one of the preferred multiple time-zone watches, the logo has aviation influence.

forWUS.png

Please feel free to use it in your signatures here or as avatars.It's created for Glycine aficionados to feel proud of their timepieces.

Of course once you are into watches, nobody limits him/herself to time. So don't hesitate to share also your new-er timepieces in the fan page. Will be glad to see you also in that platform.

Thank you for reading and supporting the Glycine Heritage Team, best wishes,

Emre

·
3,631 Posts
Congrats on the partnership, Emre! I already "liked" the FB page. The logo looks good...I'd say that's a Spitfire!

Reactions: Emre

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Dennis,you have been always supportive and I've learned a lot from you guys.Yes it's Spitfire, simplifying the diversified aircraft boom in the 60s and 70s with a 40s jet.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I have been very interested in the Glycine history. And to see it span over a 100 years is simply a great feeling for not only the brand and its pedigree but also of the hundreds/thousands/tens of thousands of Glycine owners all over the world.

I am a new owner. Didn't know much about this brand till last year !!! The quality of my timepiece is something i never had anticipated. I hope to keep maintain and enjoy this piece for the longest possible time. I dont think i will ever part with it.

Thanks Glycine Thanks emre for reminding me why i bought this watch.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Congratulations Emre. It's been fun to watch your interest in Glycine history progress from the start; this should be an exciting year for the Swiss manufacturer.

I'm not sure about using a Spitfire though! ;-)

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Dear Emre
Congratulations, your perseverance has correctly paid off. You have a rare and important Horological Glycine piece on permanent display at the National Watch and Clock Museum, in Columbia, Pennsylvania.

I am glad Glycine now recognize your efforts, and when it comes to writing the book 'The First 100 Yrs' let me know, and I will always help

Sincerely
adam

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Adam, thank you. I am happy that during your assignment at NAWCC we have included the Glycine early automatic in display.As for a book, I have no information yet, let's see. Your phrasing ' First 100 years ' is fantastic !!

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Heritage Post:Sharing general information and a page view from the production serial numbers book, year 1954. Next pages show also some lower volume production models so as 20 pieces.Production volume was 30,000 watches in that year. This book will help us a lot in matching case-back numbers and possible manufacture era questions from enthusiasts. As Stephan Lack, the CEO mentioned, we will put the puzzle together.

Untitled.jpg

Before joining this team, was working on the serial numbers and found that appr. 60,000 watches per year were being produced in the years from 1967-70 which might be the very peak of its production volume.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
That a fair amount of pieces per year.
How many they produce to-day?

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
During my interview last year with Mr. Stephan Lack, he has mentioned 6,000 mechanical watches for 2013.
1953 is the year when Airman was launched, so 1954 is including the flagship line, that might be a good reason for that volume.In the 60s, Airman was very popular,the preferred watch for airman within AOPA, USAF apart from public. Distribution was very well organized and made the watches available in Europe,Americas, Asia& Pacific Military Exchange bases, easy to access within military personnel.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
6,000 makes sense to me.
Honest.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I don't have yet that information,Uwe. We are trying to make an e-book out of it, so it will be easy to search and work on it. The page is not complete in the photo, at the right side are the ebauches, jewel counts. As mentioned it's a beginning and I am happy that this book exists, it will shed light on case-back serial markings for the 50s and 60s timepieces ( which are similar to 40s ).70s model numbers were different marked and I have them, 80s are a bit tricky, 90s and onwards are recorded.What is left is 1914-1942 serial numbers decoding. For this time range I consider below information as reference to divide the unknown era in shorter periods to make an educated guess for different scenarios:

- Nov 1923 French government demanded ' Fab. Suisse ' marks on dial for to France imported Swiss watches. 1936 the 'Fab Suisse' mark moved from 6o'clock position up to the brand mark on dial.
- 1924, first appearance of Glycine Watches in the USA, imported by H.A. Mueller, New York ( ref.: Kathleen Pritchard). So American cased very early Glycines are after this time.Mainly pendant and ladies watches.
- 1934, Swiss regulations have changed the gold casemaker's mark ' poinçon de maître ' from 'hammer with handle ' to ' hammer without handle ' ( ref: David Boettcher ). I have both examples in my collection. The one ' hammer with handle ' is easy to date because its engraved on the bezel 1926.
- 1934, Americans have implied the US import code regulation on watch movements( until mid60s,1962-67 reg. changes ). BXP was used until Glycine switched to LOE in early 50's, before 1954.

If anybody has different reference ideas,except movement - bridge configurations, which might help dating 20s, 30s watches I would highly appreciate.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
It is a GREAT question
I now wonder too?

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
from the same page:
I would say the word written in the same red pencil as was used to create those red lines is very telling. Given the headers are in French, the word looks like it could be "annulée", which means the order/production was cancelled.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So 500 watches which were casing F690 Bidynator, 25 rubies with incabloc shock protection have been cancelled.

Wondering what kind of 100th year anniversary timepiece will be introduced...

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
So 500 watches which were casing F690 Bidynator, 25 rubies with incabloc shock protection have been cancelled.

Wondering what kind of 100th year anniversary timepiece will be introduced...
You tell us?
Its possible orders of that size got cancelled?

If I get to Switzerland this year and I am hopeful, I will visit Glycine and show my one early piece!

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well,who knows what the reason might have been. I am not an official of the company except volunteering and suggest if asked,so don't really know the business plan and production plans insight, but when I have information will update happily.
There are plenty of things I would like to see personally but I guess my taste vs buyers taste vs revenue is a sensitive balance,a cushion cased hand-winding jump hour watch with sub seconds and center minute hands would be a great dress piece with vintage flavor IMO.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Well,who knows what the reason might have been. I am not an official of the company except volunteering and suggest if asked,so don't really know the business plan and production plans insight, but when I have information will update happily.
There are plenty of things I would like to see personally but I guess my taste vs buyers taste vs revenue is a sensitive balance,a cushion cased hand-winding jump hour watch with sub seconds and center minute hands would be a great dress piece with vintage flavor IMO.
Emre
You MUST ask and ASK and ASK
You are there spokesman on forums
Ask, push, esquire, visit
NEVER give up

1 - 20 of 22 Posts