WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
An interesting old brand, interesting model with the manual ETA 6498-1 for $1.7k. BTW who came with the name Half-hunter? Hey, guys, look at my new watch with hinges, it's the half-hunter! Half-what?
Anyway, it's a big 47 mm watch, with an interesting design flaw, IMHO - the hinged cover keeps the lumed indices and numbers in the dark! Since you can hardly run around in the woods (remember, hunter ;) with the open cover, like it's some kind of magical device, pointing to the stars or what, it effectively keeps the lume covered even during the day. So finally in the dark you see ... nothing! :)) But let's not get distracted.

Pics from Amazon:
gl-fb.jpg

gl-f.jpg

gl-b.jpg

And here are details. Summary - clean nice work without any real annoyances.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Thanks for another great set of pics :D.

I believe the name half-hunter is from that hinged cover. A regular hunter case would be one with a solid cover and half-hunters have display windows.

·
Registered
12,792 Posts
Great pics. as always showing something strange. Makes me wonder what 'new' actually means, are they chromed gears, peeling. knocks, dirt, etc.
And why would someone want an half hunter watch, pocket watch fine, makes sence as protecting but a watch.
The dial looks ok, nice even (for $200'ish ?). Overall not my cup of tea but can see it being liked if not for that 'port hole' look.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yes, another set of pictures! Thanks, Martin!

As I have a soft spot for Glycine, I'm a little bit disappointed with these pictures. For some reason I thought they were going to be the best yet but...nope! If I hadn't seen the name, I would have thought this was not a Swiss watch. However, I believe Glycine have a factory/assembly shop elsewhere...I wonder what part - if any - they had in making this watch.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for another great set of pics :D.

I believe the name half-hunter is from that hinged cover. A regular hunter case would be one with a solid cover and half-hunters have display windows.
Yes, let it serve as a proof of my ignorance! Actually, I just wanted to be funny, posted this and went shopping. Then I suddenly recalled that, indeed, hunter watches had dials covered this way, so it is a historical reference

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes, another set of pictures! Thanks, Martin!

As I have a soft spot for Glycine, I'm a little bit disappointed with these pictures. For some reason I thought they were going to be the best yet but...nope! If I hadn't seen the name, I would have thought this was not a Swiss watch. However, I believe Glycine have a factory/assembly shop elsewhere...I wonder what part - if any - they had in making this watch.
IMHO hands seem to be a weak point in most of watches I saw

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
You're on a role, Martin! Thank you again. I have always liked the history of Glycine, but by this point I think they are just another brand with a past. Still, I confess the Glycine Airman is one of the few watches that I still sorta kinda lust after.

Reactions: curiousMan

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Thanks for the pics. This is certainly an unique one to look at.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
When I saw that you did a Glycine, I thought it would look so much better than it does. Quite disappointing actually. That piece is on Amazon for just under $1800. Even at the WOW price of $720, I would have expected much better, even though it is on the microscopic level.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Apart from the unexplained crud around the rectangular jewel in the 26th picture, it looks pretty decent to me, but as other members have said, it is a very overpriced piece. I'd say it would be good value at around $500.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
After seeing this set of pictures I will reconsider posting the ones I take..! ;-)
Thank you for taking the time and effort to post them.
I think that even much pricier watches will show some imperfections under this kind of magnification and detail...
Some of the Combat models are very interesting.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Apart from the unexplained crud around the rectangular jewel in the 26th picture, it looks pretty decent to me, but as other members have said, it is a very overpriced piece. I'd say it would be good value at around $500.
I wondered the same, about the crud on the escapement jewel there.

I'd also be interested to see these pics compared to something with a nicer finished 6497 / 6498, something like a Stowa Marine Original.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, regarding the movement - after seeing how perfect Miyota 8215 is, anything of lesser quality is quite disappointing. Note - 8215's price is less than $50

1 - 13 of 13 Posts