WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
I bought a Combat Sub a few weeks ago that has the new "winged" logo, and I think it looks fine. I prefer the old crown logo slightly, but not enough to gripe about. I'm very happy with my first Glycine. I'm still in the honeymoon phase and wear it nearly every day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
yup the new logo predates the invicta takeover.

Still don't like it however. In fact, i would prefer no logo at all (crown or winged), but just the name, like how it was done some time back.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
As far as the combat 6 and combat sub lines go, the new logo is a fast indicator of whether or not the case has drilled lugs. Old logo = drilled lugs, new logo = no holes.

I've been meaning to buy more dial color versions of combat 6s but I've noticed all the good deal are for the newer no holes case. Shame too because drilled lugs are always the best lugs. Hopefully, there's one final batch of old logos glycine still left to clearance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've got an older glycine and I love it. I really like the combat sub and from what I have seen and heard there's been no invicta impact on their watches. Also I would love one of those square face watches posted above. Those look awesome

·
Premium Member
3,888 Posts
The bigger loss IMO is the absence of drilled lugs, which is clearly a cost-cutting measure. I love my Combat Sub - have had it for a couple of months now - but bought it on the expectation of drilled lugs, which was part of my decision since I change straps quite often. Not a huge deal since I switched over to quick release spring bars but I feel at least mildly ripped off.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The bigger loss IMO is the absence of drilled lugs, which is clearly a cost-cutting measure. I love my Combat Sub - have had it for a couple of months now - but bought it on the expectation of drilled lugs, which was part of my decision since I change straps quite often. Not a huge deal since I switched over to quick release spring bars but I feel at least mildly ripped off.
I prefer drilled lugs myself. But it’s hard for me to imagine that not drilling the holes would result in substantial savings in manufacturing costs. I haven’t handled any of the new models, but the case quality looks good in the pictures I’ve seen.

·
Premium Member
3,888 Posts
When manufacturing a product for mass consumption, there's often pressure to cut unit costs, no matter how small the savings. Can you point to another potential reason why they might have stopped offering drilled lugs on Combat Sub models?

·
Premium Member
3,888 Posts
Yeah, I'm not buying that answer.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The bigger loss IMO is the absence of drilled lugs, which is clearly a cost-cutting measure.
But is it? It seems like it would be easier to drill all the way through each lug from the outside than to blind drill from the inside. If nothing else I can't see it taking any longer.

·
Registered
6,261 Posts
The Airman 17 SPHAIR I just received today has the old logo on the dial and the new one on the inside of the strap.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Aesthetics
Pretty sure Rolex and lots of others didn't quit drilling lugs to save 2 cents or whatever. Maybe Glycine is trying to move upmarket slightly.

Edit: Sorry, this was in response to the post saying that Glycine couldn't have quit drilling lugs for aesthetic reasons. Just pointing out that lots of companies have done it exactly for that reason.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It doesn't matter whether the lineup and design changes took place before or after the sale of the brand, I don't really like any of the airman models being offered right now, but that is just me.

·
Registered
374 Posts
It doesn't matter whether the lineup and design changes took place before or after the sale of the brand, I don't really like any of the airman models being offered right now, but that is just me.
Base 22, SST 12, Airman 18, Airman 17, DC-4, and occasionally a minty No. 1 are all still available if you look around a bit.

I have a couple Base 22, a blue SST 12, Silver No.1, and a DC-4 and they are lovely in the hand. Also, I haven’t had any of the trouble some members have with quality, they all run between 0/+5 seconds per day. And the 2893-2 ETA is smooth as silk.

If you want one of the very old vintage Glycine’s there are some members here who have the expertise to help you with finding one, and we also have a member who is a watchmaker and services vintage Airman.

Best of luck finding something that you love, there are some great examples still to be had.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Base 22, SST 12, Airman 18, Airman 17, DC-4, and occasionally a minty No. 1 are all still available if you look around a bit.

I have a couple Base 22, a blue SST 12, Silver No.1, and a DC-4 and they are lovely in the hand. Also, I haven’t had any of the trouble some members have with quality, they all run between 0/+5 seconds per day. And the 2893-2 ETA is smooth as silk.

If you want one of the very old vintage Glycine’s there are some members here who have the expertise to help you with finding one, and we also have a member who is a watchmaker and services vintage Airman.

Best of luck finding something that you love, there are some great examples still to be had.
Thank you Cigarbob, yeah I just got a white dial No 1 GMT coming from a forum member, really looking forward to it. I wanted to start with a No 1 purist, but have not seen any available for sale for a while, and this one showed up so I jumped on it. I really like the DC-4 also, but my wrist is small, 42 mm watch that might wear on the larger side is likely not going to work for me, probably will have to see one in person before I decide.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts