WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Fortis vs Glycine: which is better?

• Fortis seems better to me

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Glycine seems better to me

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • They appear equal to me: no idea why Fortis is more expensive...

Votes: 9 32.1%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, awesome fellow members!

For a while now, I have been lost and searching, where do go for next... One of the "duos" which is boggling my mind is Fortis vs Glycine. Amazingly enough, I pinned those two together because I find their logos terribly similar:

Both have crown on top of name, both read "SWISS" below it.

Moving forward, both have a lot of aviation/space heritage, avid followers who dig fliger watches, etc.

In their majority both brands use ETA, from jewel count and pictures online, one could assume in comparable grades [I may be wrong here].

I would like to know if some of you had chance to own both brands and is willing to measure them against each other.

There is an average retail/MSRP price premium in favor of Fortis (more expensive of the two brands), so I wonder if this is due to good story telling or true qualities of finish, etc.

Thank you for sharing your experience :-!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I've owned 3-4 Glycines and 1 Fortis. Very comparable watches, although imho the fit and finish on the Glycines is slightly better.

Glycine definitely has the price advantage, especially if you are shopping on the bay.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I love the Glycine styling. Fortis never did much for me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
They appear equal to me: no idea why Fortis is more expensive...

This price comparison topic is getting old IMHO. A watch is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I own both, like them both, and each have unique styling.

I think anyone that is a WIS knows almost no watch is worth the asking price.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is not a price comparison, as much as it is value perception in owner's eyes.

If you have something to add to the discussion - go ahead; if not, feel free to pass it by. ;)

I am trying to compare craftsmanship/finish on seemingly similar niche brands. Thank you for chiming in :-!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I can't speak about Fortis specifically as I've never owned one (or really wanted one) but I will say that Glycine offers great value. Their watches are reasonably priced and they have a wide range of different models and different price points. They've also been around for 100 years or so and produce some iconic watches (Airman line comes to mind)

I've owned watches that cost less that were a great value, but without naming names, I've also owned watches that cost much more than my Glycines that were obviously inferior, craftsmanship wise. I've never owned a Glycine that I felt was poorly constructed in any way, and some models have nice details such as cases that are partly polished and partly brushed.

And yeah, I do like Glycine watches. More than half of my modest collection of watches are Glycines...

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
This is not a price comparison, as much as it is value perception in owner's eyes.

If you have something to add to the discussion - go ahead; if not, feel free to pass it by. ;)
But you introduced price into the equation in your OP yourself:

There is an average retail/MSRP price premium in favor of Fortis (more expensive of the two brands), so I wonder if this is due to good story telling or true qualities of finish, etc.
Besides, how does one have a real "value perception" of watches without price being a factor of some weight?

I think Penguins absolutely adds to this discussion by pointing out that a watch is indeed worth what someone is willing to pay for it; that could arguably be used as a definition of the "value perception in owner's eyes" you wish to discuss :-!

Cheers,
HBL

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm not trying to start an argument here. I am adding that comparing prices is irrelevant. Additionally, the way you word the question implies that anyone that owns a Fortis overpaid.

I think Glycine is great bang for the buck. Forits makes numerous unique watches which I love.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
... the way you word the question implies that anyone that owns a Fortis overpaid.
Apologies if my wording is implying that - I really did not have this in mind. I really am not in the position to word such statement, as I never owned either brand ;-) Rather, I was wondering if that may be attributed to good/loud marketing or true qualities of the brand/watches.

Anyhow, I find myself in the same situation - loving some of the designs of both brands. I love the B-42 Cosmonaut GMT 3, I also like the Lagunare and Airman.

Pity the wording did not come through right - I was really hoping to compare the level of finish, attention to detail and craftsmanship, if you will. Is it in the same league as Longines? Maybe same as Revue Thommen? Higher/lower? :think:

·
Banned
388 Posts
Ive always found glycine to be overpriced hence not offering value to me. Taking price aside I love the simple layout of the fortis. Black dial, easy to read especially with the orange accents.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Apologies if my wording is implying that - I really did not have this in mind. I really am not in the position to word such statement, as I never owned either brand ;-) Rather, I was wondering if that may be attributed to good/loud marketing or true qualities of the brand/watches.

Anyhow, I find myself in the same situation - loving some of the designs of both brands. I love the B-42 Cosmonaut GMT 3, I also like the Lagunare and Airman.

Pity the wording did not come through right - I was really hoping to compare the level of finish, attention to detail and craftsmanship, if you will. Is it in the same league as Longines? Maybe same as Revue Thommen? Higher/lower? :think:
No worries. I'm glad that wasn't the intent. If it get another Fortis I love the GMT 3 too. For Glycine I really want the Airman 18 or MLV.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
I have owned 13 Glycine watches at one time but have been selling some of them off. I've had problems with the quality of too many of them, little things, but I can generally say two things about them. First, that the watch bands and straps aren't as good as I'd like to see.

They have almost a generic thick black leather strap with white stitching that is of mediocre quality and has an average-looking buckle, it is used on too many of their watches.

Also, I've had trouble with the crowns or stems on more than one watch, which leads me to believe there's an overall problem. For example, I bought a brand new KMU 48 and had to immediately return it to the factory for repair when the crown came off when I pulled it out to set it.

I really like the Glycine styling in general, but the quality hasn't been there for me. The 13 Glycines I owned (I now have 11) are of all different types, so I think I have as much or more experience with the brand as anyone.

I have no experience with Fortis so can't comment on a comparison.

·
Banned
388 Posts
I should have mentioned I had the Fortis B-42 GMT and currently have the b-42 off. chrono. Fortis is a thick and heavy watch, too heavy for me due to my small wrist. Functionally it is brilliant with black face and orange accents. Fortis really makesa a great watch. I cant speak for glycine because I have never owned one.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Guys, thank you for coming through with your comments, despite my initial fault :oops:

Super valuable input from Sodiac (thank you), which does have some weight - I never owned 13 watches, let alone all of them from a single brand :-!

If we could only spot your doppleganger from the Fortis camp, I think this thread would have served its purpose |>

·
Registered
982 Posts
Interesting question.
I have a Fortis B-42 Marine Diver with a white face and skeleton hands which I love. I wear it on an after market black rubber strap as my evening/weekend watch. Great clean look and the raised numbers are a subtle but nice touch.

I also own 2 Glycines, an Incursore with the "short" second hand and a newly acquired Airman 2000 Sales Forum in late August).
I like them both quite a bit also. The Incursore is "sneaky" nice. Meaning that it looks, feels and wears much better than you'd think by just looking at it in the box. Also has a much thinner profile than the Fortis if you prefer not to wear a real chunky watch. I also wear the Incursore at night and on weekends on an after market rubber strap. (2nd the earlier comment on the Glycine black leather strap, but I happen to love picking out new straps so it doesn't bother me so much).
No quality problems as of yet. (2 years in)

If I had to choose, I'd keep the Fortis. It's just a little nicer and more interesting, and having a big hand I don't mind a thicker watch.

But, why choose? I like them both for different reasons.
Dave
PS. I haven't been able to wear the Airman yet as I've been awaiting extra links for the bracelet, but they are arriving via Fedex tomorrow!

·
Registered
50 Posts
One of my first watches was a Fortis Flieger. One of my latest watches is a Glycine Airman MLV. I love the Flieger, especially the 'bezel-less' design. IMO, the Glycine has better construction overall. Some of the lume is deteriorating on the Fortis and it does not have a sapphire crystal. The only problem I have had with the Glycine is the crown sometimes hangs when unscrewing. I haven't really timed it, but when I wear it for extended periods, it is never off enough for me to notice. So, in my eyes, you can't go wrong with either. |>

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.