WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking with a coworker yesterday and I couldn't help but notice his beautiful Tag Carrera twin time. Considering most of us are not pilots or frequent flyers, is a GMT watch really useful for a "normal" person, or is it just for looks, since they usually have nice dials and cool bezels. Is it enough for you to justify the extra cost over a watch with a traditional movement?

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Last time I checked, the requirement to track two or more timezones was not the exclusive domain of pilots or the jet set....

Like all complications, if you need it it is quite useful, if you don't really need it, it is just for looks.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I travel quite a bit for work and can see how a GMT or dual time would be useful. But if you don't travel, I guess you could make a case that it is solely for looks and not sure it would justify the add'l cost. Of course, if it looks good, you like it and in budget, why not?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I used to interact with Europeans and Japanese a lot, so I had three clocks on my desk. It's easy enough to figure Japanese time from my own, so if I had a watch with a second time zone I'd have set it to Germany time and have found it useful. More useful if all my watches had a second time zone, though. Not sure I'd have bothered setting just one of them.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I think "Dual Time Zone" is a more appropriate title for the GMT function in a real world sense. Regarding a GMT complication, I would think that not many people (in the developed world) now have all their business and personal contacts in a single time zone.

I live in Asia but have family and friends on four continents...Europe, Asia, Australasia and America. Outside of those contacts I watch live global sports from Europe and America as well as Asian sporting events in differing time zones (such as the Japanese Grand Prix for example)...so having a GMT function is extremely useful to double check 'scheduling'.

However, I personally find even a GMT function is not useful enough and now I own two watches that feature world time sub-bezels which I find invaluable for 'at a glance' feedback!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
As a long-time expat I can say that I enjoy the world time function on any of my digital or ana-digi watches on a regular basis and would strongly consider a GMT in the future if I ever found one I liked. Like many people though I wouldn't track actual Greenwich Mean Time but have the GMT hand set for US Eastern time while the watch tracked Japan Standard Time or whatever we're calling it.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
I think they're useful. That said, the only other country I lived in was Vietnam, which happens to share the exact same time (except day is night) to the central US time zone. Thus, I could not make use of the GMT design. I actually just left my watch the way it was the entire time.

So I guess what I'm saying is, if you don't own GMT watches but want to travel, and also live in the central US time zone, you should move to Vietnam for convenience.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I'm a 'normal' person and also a Ham Radio operator. GMT watches are very helpful to me.
I'm right there with you Mr Rick. Plus, when my kid was deployed, I could turn the bezel to the plus three position and tell what time it was in Baghdad. I think any feature could be, and is, considered too much by some, and too little by others. A GMT with jump twelve hour hand and rotating 24 hour bezel is the right combination of features for me.

Mark

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
beyond it being useful for tracking a 2nd time zone, I like the quick visual reference as the GMT tracks the rise and fall of the sun, 6 a.m.-6 p.m. (12 hr. on top).

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
It's an absolute must for intercontinental Flight Simulator sessions. ;-)

·
Registered
8,410 Posts
I bought myself an Omega GMT 2234.50 for a travel watch. This is why it's so good:

• The GMT hand is fixed to Greenwich Mean Time, but when traveling, all you need to do is rotate the bezel to the hour of your alternate time. Omega brilliantly made the bezel into day and night segments, so when you are overseas across the date line, you know exactly what time it is back home.

• The hands and markers are huge and clear. The black dial is uncluttered and clean and pops the hands and markers even more. You easily know what time it is in both time zones. The lume in the dark is as bright as you'll ever need.

Can I say more?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I thought they were a little "over the top", then I flew from Brisbane, to New Zealand to LA, to Chicago to Toronto....I arrived in LA several hours befor I left Brisbane....when flying into Chicago someone asked me for the time....I said "WHERE ?....it's 3 am in Brisbane."

Here are some GMT and Time Zone watches I own and love...

Cheers,
Rob

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm from Seattle, USA, but live in Beijing. A GMT feature is, aside from telling the time, the most used feature I use on a watch. My family back home is especially glad I know what time it is there because I no longer call at 4 in the morning asking, "what time is it there?"

·
Registered
98 Posts
I study abroad, so GMT feature on paper will be useful. But I never use it despite some of my quartz have multi-timezone feature since I always simply add or subtract local time to know the current time at home. It is faster anyway.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts