WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thoroughly frustrated looking for an affordable (less than $1000) GMT watch
similar to the Rolex and Omegas with quick set hour hands. I cruise frequently and am
looking for an automatic watch with a GMT hand to tell me my home time, and a 12 (or
24) hour hand that I can quickly adjust to ship's time (which changes frequently on
transatlantic/transpacific cruises. It would also be nice to have a moveable bezel to also
track a third time zone. I understand you need a modified 2836-2 movement to get this
feature.

Are there any inexpensive movements other than the modified 2836-2 that have this feature?

Am I doomed to a digital or multiple dial watch such as a Torgoen T8?

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
If you are not stuck on automatic, I really enjoy my Seiko Sportura SUN015 with independent hour hand. It's a quartz but has a nice bracelet , sapphire, ceramic bezel inlay for less than $400. It's a little on the big side, so that might not appeal to you if you are looking at say an Explorer II. I don't have it on so I can't snap a quick photo for you.

·
Registered
993 Posts
How about this Orient GMT (+23 other time zones) watch?
The Orient CFA02004B0 world time / power reserve. (There are many similar models, most of them starting with CFA... CEY...)

It's 10 o'clock in Jakarta, 18:00 in Istanbul/Cairo, 16:00 in London, 11:00 in New York. All shown in the nice dial of a mechanical watch.

The watch's in-house mechanical movement continuously/automatically rotates the 24h inner ring.

(In almost all other world time watches, you have to turn the 24h ring by yourself manually, in order to see the current time at other cities. This watch, keeps all 24 cities up-to-date, and you see the time instantly, for any given city, at all times.)

·
Premium Member
21,825 Posts
I am not aware of an affordable mechanical GMT with the quickset on the main hour hands, as most affordable GMTs use the ETA 2893-2 movement, which has the quickset on the GMT hand instead. The cheapest mechanical watch with that functionality is the Omega Great White GMT, which uses a modified ETA 2893-2. Otherwise, you need to find a quartz GMT watch based on the long discontinued Seiko 8F56 movement, or one of the newer Kinetic GMT watches that Seiko makes, like the SUN015 above.

This is a photo of the Seiko SUN001 which I used to own, it is on the big side, as are all the Kinetic GMTs.

Citizen also has something similar, the BJ5130-58L, which is an Eco-Drive titanium watch.

·
Banned
6,316 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,825 Posts
forgive me, i don't know how the GMT hand works on this guy but it's quartz and way cheaper than 1000

VSA 241649

EDIT: i just found the link for the movement, it does say quick set... not sure though.

RONDA AG
Looking at the Ronda manual, it looks like the quickset is on the 24 hour hand.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Orient Star Seeker GMT Automatic with powerreserve indicator. It also has a rotating innner bezel for a 3rd timezone.
It has a display case back and a sapphire top glass - the movement is slightly decorated. Solid endlinks and an OK bracelet.
It has hacking and Winding. Quickset hourhand - not so much, but GMT hand is easy to set.
Best part is that it looks good, well at least to me - I love this Watch, cant stop wearing it. Got mine for 430 US dollars (retail 1100?)

It also comes with a Black dial, like the off White one the best though.

orientstarseeker_zpsf632baf0.jpg

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
^ I was going to suggest Orient and Citizen too, there are some good eco-drive choices.
The royal marine and BJ9130-05E and pro master as well. I think they all have quick hour set.
The Omega Seamaster GMT is a good choice, though you would need to save for that one, I have seen them starting at 2k.
BJ9130-05E
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400380930.790522.jpg
Here is mine. SBQJ015
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400381772.449768.jpg

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
You know what. As you go regularly I would skip one cruise and use the money to buy a Rolex GMT...

That's just me though..

·
Registered
909 Posts
Interesting query indeed.

I do not know such watches either, mechanical that is, that have quick set hours hand complication, under 1k.. However there are lots of options with 2893, which has a quick set gmt hand, as well as rotating bezel.

So unless you are tempted with quartz, you can have yourself a nice automatic, which is pretty easy to adjust as well, maybe not that easy as with omega or rolex, but little bit extra effort is totally worth it to save yourself $7k

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've got one of the SUN015P1. Pretty good watch. The hour hour can be independently set without stopping the time. What I do like about it is the 6 months power reserve it has. It's kinda a nice compromise between an automatic and a quartz. What I'm not to keen on is the fact the GMT hand is quite large. I sometime I find I confuse it with the hour hand despite it being bright red.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts