WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a MTG in the mail but am second guessing getting it VS the steel square (GMW-B5000D-1ER). I love the size and heritage of the square but like the finishing on the MTG. It should also be said that my wife loves the MTG.

How does the square compare? Should I just keep the MTG since I got a great deal it (640€)?

I can't see having both.

·
Registered
Unabashed Casio G-Shock fanboy
8,356 Posts
The metal square might be easier to wear given its size. That said, it's a heavy watch despite its conservative size and case dimensions. I think they are two very different watches, so you'll have to go with your gut: which one speaks to you the most? Do you like the MT-G mostly because you got it for a good price or does the square speak to you more due to its classic G-Shock styling? I tried on the latest MT-G, and it nearly floored me with how comfortable it felt and well-finished it seemed.

I will say that the metal square is one of the best watches I've purchased in a long time. It looks amazing and is finished quite well for a 500 dollar watch (it feels like it's more expensive that its price tag suggests).

Silversquare.jpg

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Tough to compare because they are so different. Do you prefer analog or digital? Because the level of fit and finish is equally superb on both.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tough to compare because they are so different. Do you prefer analog or digital? Because the level of fit and finish is equally superb on both.
I normally prefer analog. This G-Shock is replacing my first watch, a GS-8100. The rest of my collection are mechanical pieces. Something about the square seems to call to me but I haven't seen it in the metal yet where-as I have tried on the incredibly comfortable MTG.

I guess given the Square isn't a LE I could always pick one up sometime next year.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Two VERY different watches, both hitting different sweet spots. I'd sworn off digitals until I caught the 5000 bug, and they now comprise about 50% of my very small collection. The MTG is beautiful though, and my favorite analog G, and at a great price point to boot. Both should be available at a discount, so go with your gut!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
370 Posts
I normally prefer analog. This G-Shock is replacing my first watch, a GS-8100. The rest of my collection are mechanical pieces. Something about the square seems to call to me but I haven't seen it in the metal yet where-as I have tried on the incredibly comfortable MTG.

I guess given the Square isn't a LE I could always pick one up sometime next year.
I think you answered your own question :). I will say though, I wasn't on the metal square hype train from the get go, BUT after being able to snag one later on and seeing it in person, I absolutely love it.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Does anyone know if the square also has sallaz polishing? I was really blown away with the finishing on the MTG.
No it does not. Keep in mind that the MT-G is made on the Premium Production Line in Casio's Yamagata factory, which is reserved for their top tier products (MR-G, MT-G, Pro Trek Manaslu, Oceanus). That's where fancy things like sallaz polishing and titanium carbide coating come in.

That being said, the metal squares are very high quality and a must for any collector of this brand.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think you answered your own question :). I will say though, I wasn't on the metal square hype train from the get go, BUT after being able to snag one later on and seeing it in person, I absolutely love it.

Have to agree that pictures don't really do them justice. Was a bit iffy when I got mine, considering I could have gotten something like 8 or 9 entry level squares for the same price, but was sold as soon as I felt it in hand.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30,746 Posts
Ok I'm neutral coz I'm not a fan of square G Shocks and also don't like metal (steel) G's. I have seen both in person .... GMW-5000 get's my vote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
182 Posts
I’ve got the metal G in silver, gold and black and the black and red MTG. I like them all. I originally wasn’t going to keep them all but I got them discounted so I think I can recoup most of my money if I decide to sell them later? I often asked myself if it’s necessary to own both types and as to whether the MTG was worth the upgrade vs the metal G.

I’ve concluded that they are different and awesome enough to own both types and that the MTG is worth the extra money.

The advantage the MTG has IMO is it’s easier to read, especially at extreme angles. Is more comfortable and lighter. Buttons are easier to use. Fit and finish is noticeably better but the metal G is no slouch.

Bottom line is they’re both great watches, the MTG is more practical(I prefer analog watches) but the metal G is sleek and damm cool especially if you’re a fan of the squares. I say start with the MTG and maybe get the Metal G later.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Two very different guys indeed, that I love for very different reasons. The MTG is sheer beauty, PPL all the way and has extraordinary details/finishing. Plus it actually doesn't wear that big. However, the square is classic with some cherry on top. Wears great with dress shirts and is sleek as I don't know what. But it seems like you're leaning MTG, so I'd say go with your gut!
IMG_4557.JPG
63B80A51-F790-419B-8556-66F877FDC704.jpeg

·
Premium Member
71,508 Posts
Guess that the MTG and I got off to a slightly bad start due to low battery power but it's a fantastic watch and after swearing off analogue G's last week I find myself developing an itch for a MR-G.
The metal square is also a very nice watch and although you should keep the MT-G put the square on your shopping list ASAP.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, my MTG arrived in the mail. The finishing on it is really quite extraordinary. Unfortunately, I am struggling with the size a bit. I normally wear watches closer to 40mm or smaller. The biggest watch I occasionally wear is my Seiko Turtle but even that rarely gets wristtime due to its size. I dislike that the MTG digs into my hand when articulating and that the enclosure bites into the underside of my wrist some. I know often, one just needs to wear a watch of uncommon size (big or small) for a week or two before it looks "normal". What do you guys think, should I send it back while I still have the option or give it a try and hope for the best.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Well, my MTG arrived in the mail. The finishing on it is really quite extraordinary. Unfortunately, I am struggling with the size a bit. I normally wear watches closer to 40mm or smaller. The biggest watch I occasionally wear is my Seiko Turtle but even that rarely gets wristtime due to its size. I dislike that the MTG digs into my hand when articulating and that the enclosure bites into the underside of my wrist some. I know often, one just needs to wear a watch of uncommon size (big or small) for a week or two before it looks "normal". What do you guys think, should I send it back while I still have the option or give it a try and hope for the best.
If you own the G1000, you must take time to love this B1000, i think with less personality, minimal, too rounded, the dial is less legible, smaller, buttons are common in chronograph, globally I do not find important reasons to prefer this last Mtg, and I confirm Casio is running to the global market losing the personality...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts