WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
Have been wearing Casio A168WA models every day for more than 20 years. At the moment considering switching from Casio A168WA to Casio GMW-B5000D as my everyday watch.
Have never owned any G-Shock model, but I am aware that in general G-Shock tend to be heavier and a bit bulkier. What are the advantages or disadvantages that should be kept in mind before making final decision?
Thank you in advance for any of your thoughts and insights.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I have both. Here are my opinions on the two: The G screen, even with STN, is nowhere near as sharp and crisp as the A168. The G wears huge compared to A168, which I don't like. On the other hand, G has superior water resistance and overall durability for situations that require it. G synchronization is ok, but you have to tend to it and make sure it didn't break/miss. Same with Solar-- it's handy, but you have to make sure watch gets appropriate light...not too little nor too much.

A168 is extremely simple to recalibrate whenever you like. So, if you need the increased water resistance, durability, or chunkiness, get the G. Otherwise, stick with the A168 which is a super fun watch. I personally crack up at the fact that casio bothered to write out "ElectroLuminescence" in its entirety on the dial. Probably a record for the highest number of syllables printed on a dial!

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
The 5000 will feel a lot heavier if you're used to an A168WA. You may want to visit an AD and try one on.

I personally crack up at the fact that casio bothered to write out "ElectroLuminescence" in its entirety on the dial. Probably a record for the highest number of syllables printed on a dial!
"Superlative chronometer" has more syllables (and, ironically, is less accurate ).

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone!
tomchicago, could you please compare and give us your opinion on alarm signal volume between these two models?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Yes I thought of this after my previous post and forgot to amend it. The alarm signals on the GMW5000 are disappointingly faint, as is generally the case with solar G's. My battery G's (5735, 5035) are much louder than my solar GMW. The A168 alarm is much louder and acceptable than the GMW5000 alarm. But, you can get nice, loud alarms on most battery operated G's.

Thanks everyone!
tomchicago, could you please compare and give us your opinion on alarm signal volume between these two models?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts