WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with this watch...I've had it for a bit but just set an alarm yesterday for the first time. I didn't hear the alarm. So I set a test alarm to check it and the only way I could hear the alarm is if I put my ear right next tot he watch. It did go off but very high pitched and super low. Is this normal for this watch? If so, what a waste of time to put alarm functions on this watch. Can anyone confirm this low volume alarm is normal?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
It's typical for any solar G to have a very quiet alarm. If you want a functional, proper, loud alarm, you got to get a battery operated one. Very common complaint against the solars.

Anyone with this watch...I've had it for a bit but just set an alarm yesterday for the first time. I didn't hear the alarm. So I set a test alarm to check it and the only way I could hear the alarm is if I put my ear right next tot he watch. It did go off but very high pitched and super low. Is this normal for this watch? If so, what a waste of time to put alarm functions on this watch. Can anyone confirm this low volume alarm is normal?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Metal + solar is the worst combo if loud alarm is required. Plastic solar is noticeably better. Alarm on metal square won´t wake me up, but it is not so bad that I only hear it when the watch is literally next to my ear. I do not know about the titanium ones.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree. I'm and old folk (50's) and it's totally unusable. I thought it wasn't working at first until I stuck my ear right next to the watch. Casio really should be ashamed to charge so much for this watch (or other metal 5000's) and have a useless alarm in it. I like the watch but this is a function I wanted to use and it's pretty much worthless.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I think such kind of thread should be closed by a mod before a flame war starts

lolz

·
Registered
316 Posts
is it really that bad on this watch that you can't hear it unless you put it right up to your ear? The only G-shock I've currently got is my MTG-B1000D, As you know it's solar and whilst I wouldn't say the alarm is eardrum splitting it's certainly loud enough to be heard when it goes off.

·
Registered
597 Posts
is it really that bad on this watch that you can't hear it unless you put it right up to your ear? The only G-shock I've currently got is my MTG-B1000D, As you know it's solar and whilst I wouldn't say the alarm is eardrum splitting it's certainly loud enough to be heard when it goes off.
I can hear it no problem in the same room. But it is not loud; it is unlikely to wake me.

It is not merely an issue of loudness, the pitch is much higher than (for example) DW5600E. It is high enough that I suspect some owners cannot hear a portion of it. Most people older than 18 years cannot hear above 18Khz. Most people older than 40 cannot hear above 15KHz .... and so forth.

At $500 I suspect many buyers are older guys who grew up with G-Shocks. Probably not so many teenage owners compared to the cheaper models. (I am sure there are some)

We probably have some sound experts on the forum, it would be interesting to see a frequency analysis of the B5000 alarm compared to the resin squares.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just tried the same thing in an all metal stainless model. Exactly the same. I hear nothing unless I put my ear to the watch. Definitely not hear it in the same room. I'm going to find a teenager and see if they can hear it. Either way, not trying to start a flame war because it is what it is, but the alarm in a metal g is basically useless if you can't hear it.

·
Premium Member
7,514 Posts
So, conducted a very scientific test, using what I own, and this is the square order of “alarm noise”, from worst to best:

Worst - any of the metal squares....b5000gd-1cr or 9cr....black, gold, etc
Not as bad - 5k
Not great - camo and ti black square
Getting there - dw-5600, g5600e and gw-m5610
Best - gw-b5600 of any kind
Bestest of all - ti backed Kobe gw-b5600

Pretty much any screw back case is going to be quiet....

I can hear them all in a room, but only the gw-b5600s will wake me.......but I use a Garmin for an alarm anyways

Reactions: GrouchoM

·
Registered
290 Posts
My old DW-5000-1JF is significantly louder than both my GMW-B5000 and my GW-M5610.

I don't think its just the screwback case that does it, I suspect that the problem is just that the modules in the GMW-B5000 (and its Ti counterpart) and the GW-M5610 have weak alarm speakers.

Fairly odd when you think about it, as with solar you don't really need to worry about a high volume alarm sucking up battery life like a flashing alarm alert featured in the basic DW-5600E module.

·
Registered
9,311 Posts
So, conducted a very scientific test, using what I own, and this is the square order of "alarm noise", from worst to best:

Worst - any of the metal squares....b5000gd-1cr or 9cr....black, gold, etc
Not as bad - 5k
Not great - camo and ti black square
Getting there - dw-5600, g5600e and gw-m5610
Best - gw-b5600 of any kind
Bestest of all - ti backed Kobe gw-b5600

Pretty much any screw back case is going to be quiet....

I can hear them all in a room, but only the gw-b5600s will wake me.......but I use a Garmin for an alarm anyways
Surprised to see the Ti ones better than the 5k, interesting.

·
Premium Member
7,514 Posts
I think he meant gw-5000 is better than b5000 but still not very good.

Edit: oh I see you mean Ti (Kobe) :p
yup, the resin cased orange Kobe City Fire square has a Titanium back plate.......and is the loudest of all my squares

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
It's indeed strange that the B5600 are so much louder than the B5000, a major drawback expecially when they cost X3-14 times as much.
It defintiely isn't just a screwback thing because as pointed out, the anniversary 50XX and 57XX are as loud as it gets.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Here is the result of my testing:

DW-5035D 80dB
DW-5600 90dB
GW-6900 90dB
GWF-D1000 70dB
GMW-B5000TB 70dB
Methodology: Background noise level: 38dB. Used a phone app to measure decibels and rested the bottom of the phone on the face of the watch angled back slightly while the watch was on the wrist.

Note 1: The watches had similar spikes on the Hz scale. They all spiked highest at 8K Hz with some like the DW-5035D also spiking less on 4K Hz and a little more on 10K Hz. Others like the DW-5600 and GW-6900 also spiked a bit more at 4K Hz. The GWF-D1000 and GMW-B5000TB had similar spikes as the others but at a lower dB so they just look like they spike more at 8K Hz.

Note 2: The watches have different chime sounds. The DW-5035D, DW-5600, and GMW-B5000TB have 4 consecutive repeating beeps with the last beep at a different pitch "beebeebeeBEEP". The GW-6900 and GWF-D1000 have one repeating beep with the former having longer beeps "beeep-beeep" and the latter having shorter beeps with a longer pause "BEEP - BEEP".

Note 3: Decibel measurements are averages and the app makes it difficult to measure exact decibels. The GW-6900 sounds a bit louder than the DW-5600 and the GWF-D1000 sounds a bit louder than the GMW-B5000TB. It might be due to a difference in tone.

My take:

I think it's a valid complain to say none of these watches are loud enough for use as a wake up alarm, with the GWF-D1000 and GMW-B5000TB being the least suitable. I am a "good" sleeper. I can wake up with a reasonable alarm but don't get woken up by quiet sounds and my sleep is disrupted by most sounds. I have used all my watches as alarms and they all have woken me up. They are not always reliable however because the sound of a watch on your wrist is not a reliable way to wake up. If you toss and turn like most people do when they sleep your watch can end up under you or face down in which case you will not hear it. I often end up with my hands near my ears so it usually works out but that is not always the case. I have also ended up with the watch right on my ear with the DW-5600 and GW-6900 and they are too loud and shock me awake. I used my watches as a sole method to waking up but not being 100% accurate I started using my phone as a back-up. I like using my watches as a soft alarm. They wake me up but they are not too loud and don't shock me awake unless the watch is right on my ear. Right now I'm just using my phone alarm because I got tired of turning the alarm on and off when I rotate watches and I sometimes forgot to set the watch alarm.

I do not think it's a valid complaint to say the alarm is not loud enough when you are awake. If you can only hear the watch when it's right next to your ear that means that you can't hear anything lower than 70db. That means you can't have a normal conversation and can barely hear street traffic. That is not normal. That is dangerous and for your health you should consult an audiologist. It's a natural process of aging and will happen to most of us.

Conclusion:

From my collection the loudest are the DW-5600 and GW-6900. Both these watches have a plastic case and a thin 4 screw caseback. I don't think it has anything to do with solar. I think it has to do with the material of the watch case and the module.

My recommendation is to get a watch with a vibration alarm. I have never owned one but if you have hearing loss it should be more useful to have something vibrate on your wrist. My other recommendation will not wake you up but there is a feature called Flash Alert on models like the DW-5600 and G-9000 that will flash the backlight when the alarm goes off. It's very useful and neat for when you can't hear your watch but you have to be able to see the backlight of the watch so it's not perfect. It's also not found in most modern models. My final recommendation is the original DW-5000 model. I don't have one but I heard people say it's really loud because the sound is connected to the front glass.

I don't think Casio is going to make louder watches because at 85dB(A) is when hearing damage starts. I know that when I was a child I enjoyed putting my F91W right next to my ear and playing the alarm.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts