WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yesterday I switched modules between GMW-B5000 and GW-B5600. The alarms and beeps sound exactly as before I switched them. So GW-B5600 is much louder than GMW-B5000, even with modules switched.
The speakers are in the modules, correct? The steel case really seems to be the "issue".

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Yesterday I switched modules between GMW-B5000 and GW-B5600. The alarms and beeps sound exactly as before I switched them. So GW-B5600 is much louder than GMW-B5000, even with modules switched.
The speakers are in the modules, correct? The steel case really seems to be the "issue".
You could always test them with the modules out of the case too.

·
Registered
505 Posts
True, I didn't even thought of that because I try to keep them out of the case for as little time as possible. And I keep them covered with a glass upside down so no dust gets in it or on the display.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I could be wrong but I believe speaker is attached to the caseback (small flat circle) where it recieve electricity power via alarm spring. That's why when testing buttons without closing the caseback you can hear nothing.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I could be wrong but I believe speaker is attached to the caseback (small flat circle) where it recieve electricity power via alarm spring. That's why when testing buttons without closing the caseback you can hear nothing.
These new modules don't have an alarm spring on the back like some of the old ones. At least not one I know about, and I've taken them pretty far apart!

Here's the backside of the module:

Some other views:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Here is the result of my testing:

DW-5035D 80dB
DW-5600 90dB
GW-6900 90dB
GWF-D1000 70dB
GMW-B5000TB 70dB
Methodology: Background noise level: 38dB. Used a phone app to measure decibels and rested the bottom of the phone on the face of the watch angled back slightly while the watch was on the wrist.

Note 1: The watches had similar spikes on the Hz scale. They all spiked highest at 8K Hz with some like the DW-5035D also spiking less on 4K Hz and a little more on 10K Hz. Others like the DW-5600 and GW-6900 also spiked a bit more at 4K Hz. The GWF-D1000 and GMW-B5000TB had similar spikes as the others but at a lower dB so they just look like they spike more at 8K Hz.

Note 2: The watches have different chime sounds. The DW-5035D, DW-5600, and GMW-B5000TB have 4 consecutive repeating beeps with the last beep at a different pitch "beebeebeeBEEP". The GW-6900 and GWF-D1000 have one repeating beep with the former having longer beeps "beeep-beeep" and the latter having shorter beeps with a longer pause "BEEP - BEEP".

Note 3: Decibel measurements are averages and the app makes it difficult to measure exact decibels. The GW-6900 sounds a bit louder than the DW-5600 and the GWF-D1000 sounds a bit louder than the GMW-B5000TB. It might be due to a difference in tone.

My take:

I think it's a valid complain to say none of these watches are loud enough for use as a wake up alarm, with the GWF-D1000 and GMW-B5000TB being the least suitable. I am a "good" sleeper. I can wake up with a reasonable alarm but don't get woken up by quiet sounds and my sleep is disrupted by most sounds. I have used all my watches as alarms and they all have woken me up. They are not always reliable however because the sound of a watch on your wrist is not a reliable way to wake up. If you toss and turn like most people do when they sleep your watch can end up under you or face down in which case you will not hear it. I often end up with my hands near my ears so it usually works out but that is not always the case. I have also ended up with the watch right on my ear with the DW-5600 and GW-6900 and they are too loud and shock me awake. I used my watches as a sole method to waking up but not being 100% accurate I started using my phone as a back-up. I like using my watches as a soft alarm. They wake me up but they are not too loud and don't shock me awake unless the watch is right on my ear. Right now I'm just using my phone alarm because I got tired of turning the alarm on and off when I rotate watches and I sometimes forgot to set the watch alarm.

I do not think it's a valid complaint to say the alarm is not loud enough when you are awake. If you can only hear the watch when it's right next to your ear that means that you can't hear anything lower than 70db. That means you can't have a normal conversation and can barely hear street traffic. That is not normal. That is dangerous and for your health you should consult an audiologist. It's a natural process of aging and will happen to most of us.

Conclusion:

From my collection the loudest are the DW-5600 and GW-6900. Both these watches have a plastic case and a thin 4 screw caseback. I don't think it has anything to do with solar. I think it has to do with the material of the watch case and the module.

My recommendation is to get a watch with a vibration alarm. I have never owned one but if you have hearing loss it should be more useful to have something vibrate on your wrist. My other recommendation will not wake you up but there is a feature called Flash Alert on models like the DW-5600 and G-9000 that will flash the backlight when the alarm goes off. It's very useful and neat for when you can't hear your watch but you have to be able to see the backlight of the watch so it's not perfect. It's also not found in most modern models. My final recommendation is the original DW-5000 model. I don't have one but I heard people say it's really loud because the sound is connected to the front glass.

I don't think Casio is going to make louder watches because at 85dB(A) is when hearing damage starts. I know that when I was a child I enjoyed putting my F91W right next to my ear and playing the alarm.
Wow this is an awesome post A.G.!

Yeah this backs up what I've noticed in that my metals are not as loud as any of my resin case watches.

Thanks,

-Paul

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
FWIW, just tried the alarm on my GMW-B5000 and it was clear and audible. Maybe a tad less audible than my resin Shocks, but I could definitely hear it without putting my ear right up to it. And, my hearing sucks generally... what?.... so maybe Casio addressed this. Checking the serial number, my square was produced in 2015? Can that be right? I thought the metal squares came out in 2018 or something like that. Anyway, you all are welcome for my contribution to this thread. What?

UPDATE: Tired an alarm on my GMW-B5000GD-1 and could hear that one just fine too.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I know this is an older thread but perhaps my two little eurocents experience could interested someone about those alarms...
I have switched from a B5000G (Steel) to a B5000TB (Titanium) and, for me, the sounds is louder on the Titanium.
Actually being almost piercing high pitch and much sharper than my steel one, I'm using it !!
So YMMV like they say. :)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts