WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My TB is still as perfect as the day I unboxed it but this thread plus a recent 25% off email from Pacparts has prompted me to check out parts availability and cost today and now I somehow wished I didn't...

Over $900 for a new bezel and bracelet! I have a feeling that thought will now haunt me everytime I wear it :)

Are there aftermarket Ti cases and bracelets available for these that are not DLC coated?

·
Registered
317 Posts
My TB is still as perfect as the day I unboxed it but this thread plus a recent 25% off email from Pacparts has prompted me to check out parts availability and cost today and now I somehow wished I didn't...

Over $900 for a new bezel and bracelet! I have a feeling that thought will now haunt me everytime I wear it :)

Are there aftermarket Ti cases and bracelets available for these that are not DLC coated?
try to contact your authorized service centre. I did, and the price was better than pacparts (even after the 25% off)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi All,

Firstly let me be utterly clear ... this post is not a complaint.

I absolutely love the G-Shock square. In fact I own over 20. Apart from the dream of tracking down an original DW-5000 in decent condition, I think this may be my perfect G-Shock. Black ... square ... titanium. It doesn't get much better.

Also I am a great believer in allowing my watches ( no matter what the purchase price ) to acquire their own character through the knocks, bumps and scratches they suffer in daily use.

All that said, I was surprised to turn it over recently and see how this scratch revealed an almost white surface under the DLC coating.

I love it all the more, and hope you love yours too.

:-D
Neily San

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes this is 100% paint or something transferred onto the surface. I'm sure it buffed out. I've seen the same with transfer off an aluminum doorway. In that case I kinda ground the watch against the door frame by accident because it was a weird small gap between the door handle and frame. I thought it was a scratch through the DLC also but it rubbed off after a couple weeks just from wiping it dry after showering, etc.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Mines mostly perfect, worn daily for about a year now, a few scratches where I've caught my marble kitchen counter (definite scratches on the edge of the bezel) and some of the links rub against each other on the edge which has caused the dlc to come off, but nothing particularly major. Frankly would rather no dlc at all just plain titanium and let it pick up scratches freely without chipping away at the dlc!

I think the polished bits are less hard wearing than normal parts of the dlc as that seems to be the only bits being damaged...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I’m waiting for a dark grey or bare version of the Ti. Black DLC and scratches are something I don’t think I can stand.

I think I’d rather scratch up the regular SS model (without IP finish), or even the gold model. Anything else shows scratches too distinctively, with black finishes being the worst.

·
Registered
393 Posts
OK, I've finally got some pictures of the TB wear points.

As I was taking these I was trying to get the wear points in focus, rather than have the entire piece attractively focused. It's also very difficult to separate glare from bare titanium on many of these. Around the outer and inner corners of the bezel, for example, there's no bare titanium, but many small nicks and dings where it's caught on something.

I've also scratched the anti-reflective coating on the crystal and managed to get some pictures of that. It's very difficult to see the scratching in person and almost impossible to get a picture of it. I'm virtually certain those came from the crystal rubbing against brick. You can see a primary scratch and also some some corresponding lighter scratches from other points on the same surface.

So far I've worn this watch more or less daily since I got received it Feb 20, 2020. I wear the TB for just about everything except for specific tasks. So working on the car or with hardware in the field at work or whatever. Pretty much anything but painting or where I'm worried about it scratching something. I think being generous I've worn other watches or not worn a watch for perhaps 1/5th of the time since then. Given all that I think a conservative count is about 10,000+ hours on this watch. That's not a large number in the scheme of things but just a figure for considering the current state of wear.

Some of these are better and some are worse or maybe show some extra detail so I'll just include all the pictures I took. Others are really to show the absence of wear. I've been really impressed with how the clasp has resisted almost any external sign of wear at all except some tiny dings on the outer edge corner near the "k" in G-Shock.

Attachments

·
Registered
All Square all the time. (Almost)
816 Posts
I wonder at least about the dlc on steel. I took mine on a trip to Hawaii and while walking in an outdoor shopping center I swung my arm into a cement pillar. I cause damage I'll show in a sec but I think it was because of the hard impact. If it was a sliding scrape for example it would have been fine.

I will buy a replacement soon but only because I plan to have this guy for life and need to grab one while I can.

·
Registered
816 Posts
OK, I've finally got some pictures of the TB wear points.

As I was taking these I was trying to get the wear points in focus, rather than have the entire piece attractively focused. It's also very difficult to separate glare from bare titanium on many of these. Around the outer and inner corners of the bezel, for example, there's no bare titanium, but many small nicks and dings where it's caught on something.

I've also scratched the anti-reflective coating on the crystal and managed to get some pictures of that. It's very difficult to see the scratching in person and almost impossible to get a picture of it. I'm virtually certain those came from the crystal rubbing against brick. You can see a primary scratch and also some some corresponding lighter scratches from other points on the same surface.

So far I've worn this watch more or less daily since I got received it Feb 20, 2020. I wear the TB for just about everything except for specific tasks. So working on the car or with hardware in the field at work or whatever. Pretty much anything but painting or where I'm worried about it scratching something. I think being generous I've worn other watches or not worn a watch for perhaps 1/5th of the time since then. Given all that I think a conservative count is about 10,000+ hours on this watch. That's not a large number in the scheme of things but just a figure for considering the current state of wear.

Some of these are better and some are worse or maybe show some extra detail so I'll just include all the pictures I took. Others are really to show the absence of wear. I've been really impressed with how the clasp has resisted almost any external sign of wear at all except some tiny dings on the outer edge corner near the "k" in G-Shock.

View attachment 16044918 View attachment 16044919
View attachment 16044933 View attachment 16044934 View attachment 16044935 View attachment 16044936 View attachment 16044939 View attachment 16044940 View attachment 16044942 View attachment 16044948 View attachment 16044949 View attachment 16044950 View attachment 16044951 View attachment 16044954 View attachment 16044956 View attachment 16044958 View attachment 16044959 View attachment 16044961 View attachment 16044962 View attachment 16044964 View attachment 16044965 View attachment 16044968 View attachment 16044970 View attachment 16044973 View attachment 16044974 View attachment 16044977 View attachment 16044979 View attachment 16044980 View attachment 16044982 View attachment 16044984
One good thing about matte coatings is as the wear happens it looks better. Part of the reason I actually wear my b5000v more often.

·
Registered
Proud Casio G-SHOCK fanboy
8,864 Posts
I wonder at least about the dlc on steel. I took mine on a trip to Hawaii and while walking in an outdoor shopping center I swung my arm into a cement pillar. I cause damage I'll show in a sec but I think it was because of the hard impact. If it was a sliding scrape for example it would have been fine.
View attachment 16045026
View attachment 16045027
I will buy a replacement soon but only because I plan to have this guy for life and need to grab one while I can.
I think without the dlc it would look pretty scraped. Mine is a safe queen (I keep it as a collectible). Kudos to you for wearing it as a daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
816 Posts
I think without the dlc it would look pretty scraped. Mine is a safe queen (I keep it as a collectible). Kudos to you for wearing it as a daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am a cross between daily wear and "omg is that a scratch?" I wish it was just daily wear tho. Would save me 85$ for a new bezel I have to now pay. It does annoy me when people that are on a G-SHOCK enthusiast forum talk about how gshocks should only be daily wear tool watches. Doesn't make any sense to me. You want to buy a 1600$ Ti b5k and show no regard?,.. ok buuut kind of seems like a bad decision. Want to just buy the sun $100 resin squares or a f-91w for the cost of a Starbucks venti and not have to worry about worrying? No problem. But to not understand why a person would want to keep a collection of pristine examples? I mean people collect knifes that are designed to be scrapped against stuff. :)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
So are they DLC or IP ????? Casio Asia states it IP Coated while Casio USA states its DLC.... I reached out to Casio and waiting on a response

"The surface of the metal is finished with a diamond like carbon (DLC) coating that protects it against scratching and other damage."

"The case and band are blue ion-plating (IP) finished and then imprinted with a three-size dot pattern that brings out the gradations of the camouflage motif. "

·
Registered
393 Posts
I believe the TB is DLC and the TCM and TCF are DLC with a second ion plating process and then the camouflage pattern is (laser?) etched.

This section of the G-Shock US site may be worded wrong and should say "IP"?

"After a DLC(IP?) coating is applied to the case and band, the gradations of the camouflage pattern are created by using dot patterns of three different sizes: small, medium, and large."

It seems like the TCM and TCF variants hold up better than the full metal versions that are for sure just IP on stainless steel.

This guy has a GMW-B5000GD-1 (the black IP only model, which he's unfortunately displeased with) and I'm sure we would have heard if anyone had similar wear patches on their TCM or TCF. I know my TB has many hundreds of hours of desk wear and the keeper and band look incredibly good, considering. Really, the surfaces that directly contact a desk or table surface look practical untouched. You would think the guys with lots of wear on a TCM would have spots where the IP wore through to the DLC?

I also think the camo pattern is pretty forgiving about showing wear and scratches.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I actually wrote to Casio to inquire about the blue one:

Thank you for choosing Casio America. Blue IP is applied on the titanium material, and then it is partially peeled off with a laser. We express shades with the size of a circle.
(DLC is not applied).

Please also refer to the following product site.
GMW-B5000TCF-2 | Full Metal | G-SHOCK | Timepieces | CASIO

The sides and bottom of the bracelet of the TB and TCM appear to look identical so I'd imagine TCM are DLC.

61 - 80 of 101 Posts