WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
So are they DLC or IP ????? Casio Asia states it IP Coated while Casio USA states its DLC.... I reached out to Casio and waiting on a response

"The surface of the metal is finished with a diamond like carbon (DLC) coating that protects it against scratching and other damage."

"The case and band are blue ion-plating (IP) finished and then imprinted with a three-size dot pattern that brings out the gradations of the camouflage motif. "
The TCF is IP not DLC. Casio USA is either incompetent or purposefully engaging in false marketing. Some people actually believe it's DLC. DLC is not blue. Only recently did Casio release a DLC with a hint of green on the MRG-B2000BS. It looks black under most lighting conditions and the green tint only comes out in specific lighting, usually sunlight.

I personally go by the original Japanese site because that is the most accurate and that says IP.
I believe the TB is DLC and the TCM and TCF are DLC with a second ion plating process and then the camouflage pattern is (laser?) etched.

This section of the G-Shock US site may be worded wrong and should say "IP"?

"After a DLC(IP?) coating is applied to the case and band, the gradations of the camouflage pattern are created by using dot patterns of three different sizes: small, medium, and large."

It seems like the TCM and TCF variants hold up better than the full metal versions that are for sure just IP on stainless steel.

This guy has a GMW-B5000GD-1 (the black IP only model, which he's unfortunately displeased with) and I'm sure we would have heard if anyone had similar wear patches on their TCM or TCF. I know my TB has many hundreds of hours of desk wear and the keeper and band look incredibly good, considering. Really, the surfaces that directly contact a desk or table surface look practical untouched. You would think the guys with lots of wear on a TCM would have spots where the IP wore through to the DLC?

I also think the camo pattern is pretty forgiving about showing wear and scratches.
The TB and TCM are both DLC. They don't put IP over DLC. It would defeat the purpose of the DLC.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I actually wrote to Casio to inquire about the blue one:

Thank you for choosing Casio America. Blue IP is applied on the titanium material, and then it is partially peeled off with a laser. We express shades with the size of a circle.
(DLC is not applied).

Please also refer to the following product site.
GMW-B5000TCF-2 | Full Metal | G-SHOCK | Timepieces | CASIO

The sides and bottom of the bracelet of the TB and TCM appear to look identical so I'd imagine TCM are DLC.

View attachment 16095038

View attachment 16095040
Ahhh OK so the pattern on the TCM is applied to the DLC and the pattern on the TCF is applied to the IP by laser etching them away.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Mines mostly perfect, worn daily for about a year now, a few scratches where I've caught my marble kitchen counter (definite scratches on the edge of the bezel) and some of the links rub against each other on the edge which has caused the dlc to come off, but nothing particularly major. Frankly would rather no dlc at all just plain titanium and let it pick up scratches freely without chipping away at the dlc!

I think the polished bits are less hard wearing than normal parts of the dlc as that seems to be the only bits being damaged...

Today I have been to a street "jeweler" just for a link move South to North to balance the bracelet on my fresh TB.

Seeing her hammering my poor bracelet like a butcher tendering meat was not helping even after she has lost a pin and a collar...

You know what ? There is barely no marks on the side of those hammered links . So the glossy DLC part is not that fragile after been 'orcish' worked on.

Oh gosh i got some spare links anyway in the box ...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Today I have been to a street "jeweler" just for a link move South to North to balance the bracelet on my fresh TB.

Seeing her hammering my poor bracelet like a butcher tendering meat was not helping even after she has lost a pin and a collar...

You know what ? There is barely no marks on the side of those hammered links . So the glossy DLC part is not that fragile after been 'orcish' worked on.

Ooft!

That’s why I do mine myself. Bought a cheap watchmakers tool kit from Amazon and it works a treat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
393 Posts
I've got a mini dead-blow I use. Overkill for sure but it's certainly not marking anything and the jeweler hammer I have is a little smaller than I'd like.

Also some pliers with masked over teeth perfect for pulling the pin the rest of the way in a very controlled manner. Otherwise be sure to have it on a dark, soft, surface that doesn't promote those collars rolling around.
Hand tool Pliers Snips Tool Metalworking hand tool

·
Registered
6,137 Posts

LOL you are a brave man, Nemo!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
LOL you are a brave man, Nemo!
In fact I usually got a great service from that shop but I just felt like being suddenly hostage of hammering rookie.
Here is a picture of my bracelets crime.
The two pins are 'silver'.
No marks on the DLC.

BTW, you confirm those pins and collars are all steel not titanium ?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Been at real jeweler (Louis Pion à la Défense, pour les Parisiens)

The jeweler has inspected meticulously all the links pins and has replaced the three wounded by the reserve.
Taking the time.
And especially made it for free!
Great service from this people.

Franky for the Parisians in F17 I have never been disappointed with Louis Pion's workshops. (Their workshop at Auber and on les Champs Elysees are also great and accurate in their expertise. )
They take big pride in their knacks and often do that for peanuts.

Envoyé de mon SM-G985F en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
In fact I usually got a great service from that shop but I just felt like being suddenly hostage of hammering rookie.
Here is a picture of my bracelets crime.
The two pins are 'silver'.
No marks on the DLC.

BTW, you confirm those pins and collars are all steel not titanium ?

Nemo, my assumption is that the pins and collars on the TB are steel, not titanium, but I'm not 100% sure. In any case, I'm glad you found a shop that made things right.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I believe the pins are titanium and the collars are steel based on the collars being magnetic and the pins having heat transmission too low to be steal.

I've been able to hold one of the pins in my bare fingers and heat the other end with a mini butane torch. The same heat for the same amount of time (virtually any time at all) on a stainless steel pin will be extremely hot on your fingers.

The good news is you can pick one of the collars out of a carpet with a strong magnet.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Been at real jeweler (Louis Pion à la Défense, pour les Parisiens)
Glad to hear it was fixed. They even countersunk them nicely.

Yeah what I assume is that the first ogre tech wasn't able to get the pin aligned with the far side link pivot (I guess is what I'd call it) and they tried just hammering it through.

At that point, if the pin isn't driving, giving the two links being joined a 90 degree angle to each other is helpful. But at any rate it's fixed now.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
After one month of 24/7 wear not a single trace or scratches on the DLC of my TB.
As a comparaison, I have pictured my TB bracelet versus my Titanium Garmin bracelet after a month of daily wear.

In fact, after one month period of 24/7 wear, I do usually erase the marks on the Garmin bracelet using an ultra fine jeweler pad.
But since I got the TB, one month ago, I have switched the Fenix 6 on a Nick Mankey's Hook Strap to wear it on the inside of my right wrist when I need it.
So both bracelet has been used in the same condition.
The Garmin is Grade 2 titanium.
The TB is Grade 5 with DLC.
A huge difference.

Very impressed by the DLC coating so far.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The difference is indeed impressive.

Having so many scratches (Garmin) after only one month of use is a deal breaker for me: give me some quality metal please (or a different conception for the clasp, like the small pads Casio added to the MT-G clasp in order to prevent desk dive scratches) :oops:

Reactions: Nemo_Sandman

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
The difference is indeed impressive.

Having so many scratches (Garmin) after only one month of use is a deal breaker for me: give me some quality metal please (or a different conception for the clasp, like the small pads Casio added to the MT-G clasp in order to prevent desk dive scratches) :oops:
Yes but with just a Jeweller Pad all scratches and marks are erased in a matter of seconds.
(Il suffit de frotter dans le sens de la finition et le bracelet dans son entier est comme neuf en moins d'une minute. ;-)
Et ça c'est génial.... Ca ne sera pas possible avec le DLC... sauf si je souhaite une "patine"... )

Excuse my french... I just said how easy I erase all scrtaches just by following the lines/direction of the satin finish.
This is really quickly done which made us all waiting for a non coated titanium Square.
Also raw titanium (non coated) got a special way to heal.

Anyway that DLC on the TB is really high quality. It's not the first time I have noticed excellent coating on Casio watches.
I still got an old Casio black coated VDB100 a touch watch from the early 90's.
And I have not been able to scratch it yet despite being used very hard 30 years ago....

Picture for illustration not mine (she is in a box without battery) but you can notice how worn it is (like mine actually) and how the coating has held well as noticed on those pictures.
The bezel are scratched but the steel bracelet is black and well coated with no marks.

Watch Rectangle Portable communications device Communication Device Gadget
Watch Gadget Tire Clock Grey
Watch Clock Wood Watch accessory Gadget

Watch Portable communications device Clock Rectangle Communication Device

Watch Font Rectangle Watch accessory Wood

Watch Rectangle Clock Gadget Watch accessory
Watch Rectangle Clock Watch accessory Font

·
Premium Member
8,712 Posts
After one month of 24/7 wear not a single trace or scratches on the DLC of my TB.
As a comparaison, I have pictured my TB bracelet versus my Titanium Garmin bracelet after a month of daily wear.

In fact, after one month period of 24/7 wear, I do usually erase the marks on the Garmin bracelet using an ultra fine jeweler pad.
But since I got the TB, one month ago, I have switched the Fenix 6 on a Nick Mankey's Hook Strap to wear it on the inside of my right wrist when I need it.
So both bracelet has been used in the same condition.
The Garmin is Grade 2 titanium.
The TB is Grade 5 with DLC.
A huge difference.

Very impressed by the DLC coating so far.
Oh, is it grade 5? I just assumed grade 2 since even MRGs are grade 2 other than the bezel I think on a few.

Anyway, mine still doesn't have a scratch even after being banged up on a few hikes. The only area that has any marks is on the link where the clasp attaches where there is metal on metal contact. Still, it is more like a faded blemish than a scratch.

In comparison to my MRG, it has some swirly, desk diving micro scratches on some links, but you cannot even see them unless you hold the watch into the light at an angle. Pretty damn good in my opinion.

I also owned a non-dlc Oceanus that other that acquired some scratches on the bezel and bracelet clasp, but stood up just as well as any ss watch I've owned if not better actually.

One thing I've never understood is why Casio doesn't market this aspect of toughness more? Casio has their own proprietary means that they use, yet they rarely mention it. I would assume because it was just industry standard, but even if that is the case no hrand is above marketting buzz words and bs, so it has always made me curious. Citizen won't stop talking about it and has pretty much made a lot of their WIS cred via this, but I dislike Citizen and I know I'll receive some hate for this, but I find them vastly inferior overall (I love the Chronomasters, the Ti field watches, bullheads and more, but I don't trust eco-drive solar, so it kind of ruins everything for me).

Reactions: Nemo_Sandman
81 - 100 of 101 Posts