WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

GMW-B5000TB DLC Coating Durability Report

40K views 154 replies 52 participants last post by  Wardogz 
#1 ·
I love this Ti square. Now, while I don't plan on taking it on any rough-and-tumble shenanigans or changing the way I treat it, that is to say with utmost care, it'd be nice to have some peace of mind, or perhaps an idea of baseline durability. There's been comments of considerable wear on the DLC coating reported by some. Would love to hear/see how it has held up for other owners over the past couple months, and an idea of how 'adventurous' you are with yours.

Mine is an introvert baby, spends its days mostly by the plush pillowy watchbox, i.e. no wear yet.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't have the ti model, but I have the DLC steel bezel on my steel square for over a year and it's 99% perfect. If you get the light to hit it just right you can see a spec or two of silver on some of the corners/edges, but that's it. I hasn't seen anything crazy, but when I'm doing yardwork or home projects or out fishing or whatever it's the way I wear. A few weekends ago it scraped against a rusty dumpster while I was throwing out some trash, didn't scratch it.

#9 ·
I just started looking up Ti shocks! But i got 2 watches over the last 2 months and I really need to hold my purchases.. but these metal shocks are getting me intrigued, i need to go see them for myself!

DLC is very interesting! How does it look? Is it shiny? Is it glossy or matt looking??

#13 · (Edited)
Very impressed with all the reports thus far! Personally this is all very reassuring, will probably start relieving the DW5600E of some work shifts in the lab.

If you have the opportunity definitely check them out in person. Pictures don't portray how nice the finish work is on the polished surfaces, particularly the top and bottom bevels of each bracelet link. I catch myself doing countless wrist rolls throughout the day just to catch the reflections dancing across the bracelet. To answer your question, it's matte is most places, and brilliantly shiny in all the right places.

I banged mines pretty hard against a dumbbell rack, knicked it a bit, shows 2 pin size silver dots now but can't only be seen from certain angles. I am a little impressed.

Mines only a week old.

My problem is I wear my watch on my dominant hand (right) so it's always active. I've banged up $10-20k watches so It's a little expected.
I'm impressed you use it as a workout watch! Might I add, your collection is most inspirational. May one day I find the courage to consolidate mine into a similar arrangement.

#10 ·
If the DLC on that square is anything like the DLC on the MR-Gs, it should hold up very well! My MR-G went thru daily desk diving for a couple months, and since then has had the occasional 'bang' into a hard surface - like a seat belt buckle. No damage, not a single scratch. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but so far, it hasn't.

#11 ·
I have the GMW B5000 TB Ti Black DLC also. It get worn on a weekly basis with no regard for the watch. If I'm shoveling dirt or painting or cleaning the pool filter, changing a car battery, what ever is on my wrist. I am notoriously hard on watches.

Only my clasp has a few desk diving marks. Bezel and bracelet are perfect.

#12 ·
I banged mines pretty hard against a dumbbell rack, knicked it a bit, shows 2 pin size silver dots now but can’t only be seen from certain angles. I am a little impressed.

Mines only a week old.

My problem is I wear my watch on my dominant hand (right) so it’s always active. I’ve banged up $10-20k watches so It’s a little expected.

#15 ·
my experience has been the same as t4pn, regular desk diving with my full dlc coated mrgg, no marks on the clasp. have accidentally wacked it on some coarse metal shelving which put a mark on it 😱....that i simply rubbed off with my finger 😃

have a look for the video where a mrgg is scrubbed with a wire brush, that should help put your mind at ease ;)

#20 · (Edited)

Here is my totally beat up watch after almost a year of weekly use. The purple scratches happened the second time I wore it. My best guess is that it came from someone's diamond earrings. The orange bump likely happened when I smashed it into a metal gate. You can't see the yellow part but it's like a linear smudge which I think happened when I accidental and violently dropped my watch and it slid across the floor. Never take your watch off kids. I have never seen the green bump before and I can't see it with the naked eye using my amazing close up vision. It must be one of those bumps where I think "that left a mark" and then can't find a mark.

Other than what this user mentioned and some smudges where the clasp hits the desk it all happens in the shiny part of the bezel. Naturally the bumper is designed to hit everything first. This is where all the action happens.

My conclusion: DLC is scratch resistant but not scratch proof obviously. It is still the most scratch resistant thing Casio makes other than, I assume, the titanium processing on the MRGs. I'm very satisfied with the DLC used to balance the softness of titanium.

Anyone concerned about damaging their DLC can either: be very very careful, not wear it, buy replacement parts, or learn to stop worrying and love the watch.

I'm looking forward to what the next year brings in scratches and dings.

#22 ·
I’m personally impressed with the DLC resistance to scratches that I am reading here! Im no stranger to scratches since I have a speedmaster with hesalite and i’ve dinged, donged and scratched up that glass like no tomorrow and love it just as much as the first day I got it with no heartbreak about that glass, but I’d always welcome something that stays pristine longer!

#24 ·
I'm personally impressed with the DLC resistance to scratches that I am reading here! Im no stranger to scratches since I have a speedmaster with hesalite and i've dinged, donged and scratched up that glass like no tomorrow and love it just as much as the first day I got it with no heartbreak about that glass, but I'd always welcome something that stays pristine longer!
Get some Polywatch.

#26 ·
Alright, here's my over year old DLC steel bezel. Just a bit of silver showing on some edges.

To be very clear - I'm totally okay with this haha, not complaining. I'm very impressed with the durability. You probably have to zoom in to see these tiny marks.

Face of the bezel, below the 'K' in the photo.

Bottom right corner of the "lug."

And a few light scratch on the face of the bezel I hadn't noticed until taking these pics. Super light - bottom of the "K" going to the right.

#34 ·
Both my DLC Casios (MRG-G1000B and GMW-B5000TCM) were extremely durable, not a single mark. This must have been one of the reasons their resale value was great.

But now I'm without a DLC watch. Hmmmm...

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
are you feeling acute withdrawal? any particular reason for letting go of the 5000? it remains an obsession to me, despite my best efforts to move on.

#38 · (Edited)
I tried the Ti in person when it came out and was quite excited to do so after reading about the watch. I wore my DW-5035D to the store. After putting on the Ti and then putting my 5035 back on, there was no way I could justify the Ti.

While DLC talks up a big game, I find that it overpromises and underdelivers in the wild. If it aspires to "diamond" hardness, it shouldn't scratch, ding and rub off with real use like I've seen on models which have been worn and not babied or case queened.

If you find persistent dings and scratches irritating, stick with the original, resin G's. You can still get the 5035D for about $300.

I like the fact that the 5035 is battery operated because that enables a much more audible alarm & chime tone and I don't have to worry about overcharging in direct sunlight or having it drain out if left in the case away from sufficient light source.

I was able to dial the trimmer into about +0.05 sec/day accuracy. As for battery change (which I haven't had to do yet), I like the idea of opening the case from time to time to lubricate the gaskets with silicone grease which gives me extra confidence when swimming with the watch. I don't like watches with Bluetooth dependency which I found to be buggy and a hassle (I got rid of my GMW-B5000 for that reason). If you want solar & MB6 the GW-5000 is the same price as the 5035D basically yet still full premium resin.

#39 ·
I must agree with you - the DW-5035 is a fantastic watch. The loud alarm, relative autonomy of battery power & resin bezel/strap make an extremely rugged and useable 'beater'.
However, my GMW-B5000TCM-1JR is holding up really well and has some features which are a definite improvement - bigger buttons, sapphire glass, multiple alarms and time zones, STN display, all metal & light construction...
I wear a DW-5030 at work everyday - as an electrical engineer the resin (CF for me lol) bezel and strap are most important to me.
When I'm not at work I wear the camo ti - the DLC coating is holding up better than I expected.
I really like both watches, regarding the camo ti although the DLC isn't a negative for me I do dislike the poor alarm & lug articulation.
Casio - please make a ti cased DW-5000 with sapphire & STN ;)

#40 ·
Has anyone worn the plating(?) of the gold buttons from pressing with your fingernails?

And the value proposition debate is a tough one. But it was too late by the time I laid my fingers on the exquisitely finished bracelet that shines under scrutiny. The psychological jump to SS from resin was an easy one, as I find, and as @gojira54 mentioned, the metal, STN display, the optional BT features, and the larger buttons to be value-additives. I wear my DW5600E quite a bit and do enjoy the CR2032 and louder alarm, but Tough Solar and auto-time sync are equally enjoyable. It was a tougher proposition going from SS to Ti, but the justification was near primitive for me. I derive some value on Ti as a material, the sapphire crystal, and it being a limited run that will likely hold value better, not that I ever plan to part with this one. Then it was just luck of the draw that I already had it whilst consolidating the collection. If I'm going to have just one 'treasure' square, the DW5600E notwithstanding, it's absolutely worth it to me. The G-D5000-9JR, however, well to that I'll echo the sentiment!

#45 ·
How long before the discontinue the bezel for ordering separate? I'm thinking of getting one now for backup before it's too late
If you know it's a keeper and you'd like to have a spare then I'd order sooner rather than later. From what I've heard the TB's production has already commenced, so supply level is probably waning. I thought about it myself. Maybe also consider spares for other parts as well, e.g. bracelet pins.

#44 · (Edited)
I got my Ti second hand and have had it for a week. Part of me thinks the shininess of the top bezel is meant to scratch or rough up over time as a way to contrast with the pristine matte black of the rest of the case and bracelet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.