Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Vendor
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I want to introduce you the project I'm currently working on. It's called Gnomon. Me and my friends found a lot of inspiration in ancient time tellers, like sun dials, nocturnals and other different interesting tools and decided to try to turn it into a wristwatch. So here it is. We've chosen a single hand format since it looks the most authentic way to keep up with the concept. The single hand refers to the gnomon of ancient Roman sun dials as well as overall design as well as to a shadow it casts. The dial has two layers - outer with hour Roman markings referring to the sun dial's surface and the inner which is made of an artificially worn out steel with a unique texture. It's protected by the domed crystal from the front and by the tranparent back lid from the back. The backlid also has the zodiac engraving with signs corresponding to the Roman indexes on the dial. We're also going to complete the watch with Italian hand made leather straps.

Plese, share your thoughts on my projects. Do you like it? Do you think we're doing a good job and should proceed with it? Below are the photos of the actual prototypes so you can judge the product, not the concept.

photo_1_????? ??????.jpg
photo_3_????? ??????.jpg
photo_black_5_????? ??????.jpg
photo_black_8_????? ??????.jpg
photo_black_11_????? ??????.jpg
photo_gold_2_????? ??????.jpg
photo_silver_4_????? ??????.jpg

·
Registered
566 Posts
I like one-handers, so a great project. But I'm not sure if the clean minimalist outer circle combines well with worn metal inner circle
another issue is that the hand sits a bit tall above the dial

·
Vendor
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, my name is James and my project isn't affiliated with the watch store. Gnomon is the name of the model and is called after a part of a sundial.

dspt, thanks for the feedback! Yes, I realize the issue with the hand's height. It will be fixed in the next revision!

·
Registered
513 Posts
The case back is gorgeous! 44mm would be perfect IMO - looking forward to updates.

·
Vendor
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Amazing news, guys!

We've hit the pre-order stage with the help of Kickstarter! If you're interested in getting some cool watches, search for Gnomon watch on Kickstarter or send me a PM and I'll tell you more :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I agree with an earlier post- not sure the outer dial ring meshes well with the inner dial. Black model looks great, maybe think about a different color for the outer ring on the gold?

·
Vendor
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dear friends and watch enthusiasts, hi again!

My name is John. Some time ago I and launched my own first limited wristwatch collection called Gnomon - the sundial-inspired one-handers. For the present moment the whole collection is fully sold out, so this moderate success inspired me to continue on my path of watchmaking. Now I’m working on the new series, created the first prototypes for the new watch and once again would like to hear your opinion.

The second watch is called UMBRA (means “shadow” in Latin), and in it I develop the basic features of the concept further. The watch has a single hand that refers to sundial’s gnomon (hand that casts shadow). Now it stands still, leaving a disc with Roman numerals to rotate for indicating the time. The overall design reveals the disc only partly, referring to the light cycle depiction of actual Roman sundials. The color ways are a nod to the famous sundial structures of the Past and common building and smithing materials from the ancient times.

The exhibition case back is decorated with a signature zodiac engraving. I’ll be sticking with the automatic Miyota movement again, but decided to replace old straps with cool Horween leather-made. Here are some photos:

01.png

02.png

HOnE4wa.jpg

gq4KzKr.jpg

2vaZUZ3.jpg

SegWVpa.jpg

lSo4iIX.jpg

QSrwfXg.jpg

Looking forward to hear your thoughts, guys!

·
Vendor
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi again guys!

I’m glad to say that we went to crowdfunding today! So if you like our timepieces, it may be the good opportunity to get one or a couple with a good price. We plan to get them manufactured closer to the end of the Fall. So it’s not a long period of waiting by crowdfunding standards and we already manufactured our own watches before, so the deal is solid – it’s up to you if you’re into our watches or not.

You can check the project here if you liked it (and wanna save some big buck, too!)

www.kickstarter.com/projects/solar-lab/umbra-0

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.