WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I recently purchased a Steinhart from Gnomon and I was wondering what are everyone's experience with them.

Has anyone been hit with additional fees? If so, how much?:think:

I used DHL Express because it was the only free option.

TIA

·
Premium Member
7,004 Posts
On my 3rd purchase from Gnomon:
- Steinhart Nav B TI 47mm Type A.....DHL fees $22......took 2 days
- Laco Freidrichshafen Tye B.......DHL fees $28..... Took 3 days
- Steihart Nav B 47mm Type A........ordered last night..

They generally list the watch as a "timing instrument" on the customs dec, with a value between $80 and $100....... You can track via the DHL website, and then use their "my payment" option once you get the automated call saying you have a package.....

i have also purchased from Creation in Singapore, and they use DHL as well, with similar results....

now I am in Vancouver, and that may help, but I am nothing but impressed with Gnomon and DHL.

certainly quicker than ordering direct from Steinhart, which is just about 2 weeks and counting!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts

They generally list the watch as a "timing instrument" on the customs dec, with a value between $80 and $100....... You can track via the DHL website, and then use their "my payment" option once you get the automated call saying you have a package.....

i have also purchased from Creation in Singapore, and they use DHL as well, with similar results....

now I am in Vancouver, and that may help, but I am nothing but impressed with Gnomon and DHL.

certainly quicker than ordering direct from Steinhart, which is just about 2 weeks and counting!
I ordered once through Gnomon and used DHL for shipping. The package was handed off to Canada Post and they never charged me duties, etc. I have also purchased watches using FedEx for shipping and they always charge duties, taxes, etc. Google "online canada duties calculator" to see how much you should be charged, but DHL seems like the best bet based on my experience. If they do charge you though, you must pay of course :)

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I got a squale from them about 6 months ago to the USA and paid less than $25 for duty.
Lucky :). Yes the customs laws in the U.S. generally allow up to $800 before charging substantial duties, etc., whereas here in Canada the threshold it is set much lower to something like $60 if I recall correctly. Having said that, we recently signed a free trade deal with the EU that should remove most tariffs once if the deal is ultimately ratified.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks for sharing, how much did you end up paying?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ordered once through Gnomon and used DHL for shipping. The package was handed off to Canada Post and they never charged me duties, etc. I have also purchased watches using FedEx for shipping and they always charge duties, taxes, etc. Google "online canada duties calculator" to see how much you should be charged, but DHL seems like the best bet based on my experience. If they do charge you though, you must pay of course :)
I actually ordered with DHL Express and they did use private DHL not the one from Germany that turns into Canada Post.

I got notifications about it requiring extra funds in order for it to go through.

Wound up paying $30CAD extra for $600 watch

·
Registered
60 Posts
Is it fair to state that it would be cheaper to get it from gnomon vs steinhart directly for same model for Canadian customer?

::

·
Registered
205 Posts
FWIW, I've now ordered 2 Steinharts directly from Steinhart and both times arrived without duties/HST. Both times it was DHL that was handed off to Canada Post.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts