WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
12,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went today to the mall to put some more money on my frog on layaway. We stopped in Sears to see what was going on as this one is, slated for closure. I was expecting deals and mark downs all over.... Nada. Prices were like any holiday sale. I was, looking at their not so great selection of Casio's and G's. There was one I wanted to look at so the clerk comes over and I'm looking and we start chatting. She was, new to the dept and was interested in Casio's and we talked and I kinda looked at the price of the watch and said it was nice. Then I mentioned that I really needed the stand it was on. She says I can sell you some. I casually ask how much, and my ears rang as, my eyes almost popped out of my head (according to Mrs Wit) when se said "A dollar each". I ask how many did they have. Out comes a box and we assembled 31 and a few parts.

I then look at the price of the watch figuring I should buy it. Now remember I just kinda glanced at the price. I say out loud that I thought I saw $99.99, but in fact it's 199.99. The clerk leans, in, and says, I can do $99, it going on close out in 2 week or so, and I already found another job. I immediately say ring it up. Mrs Wit says I did the right thing buying the watch, but can't understand how I get so lucky. I retort, started the day met you babe. - - safe for what is coming next.

OK, enough rambling... Pics

Sent from Capt Kirk's Communicator

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Went today to the mall to put some more money on my frog on layaway. We stopped in Sears to see what was going on as this one is, slated for closure. I was expecting deals and mark downs all over.... Nada. Prices were like any holiday sale. I was, looking at their not so great selection of Casio's and G's. There was one I wanted to look at so the clerk comes over and I'm looking and we start chatting. She was, new to the dept and was interested in Casio's and we talked and I kinda looked at the price of the watch and said it was nice. Then I mentioned that I really needed the stand it was on. She says I can sell you some. I casually ask how much, and my ears rang as, my eyes almost popped out of my head (according to Mrs Wit) when se said "A dollar each". I ask how many did they have. Out comes a box and we assembled 31 and a few parts.

I then look at the price of the watch figuring I should buy it. Now remember I just kinda glanced at the price. I say out loud that I thought I saw $99.99, but in fact it's 199.99. The clerk leans, in, and says, I can do $99, it going on close out in 2 week or so, and I already found another job. I immediately say ring it up. Mrs Wit says I did the right thing buying the watch, but can't understand how I get so lucky. I retort, started the day met you babe. - - safe for what is coming next.

OK, enough rambling... Pics

Wow was one mate congratulations. You my friend are one lucky person a few times I've known you to be in the right place at the right time

Yay Graduated to G-Shock Padawan

·
Registered
12,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mrs Wit said, as we were talking about it to my son, that she saw my reaction, it was quick and then I was back to casual shopper. She can read me and said it was something she picked up on but to quick for the clerk to notice. Saw those stands for sale recently on fleabay for $7 each. So yeah, I am a lucky SOB.

I guess talking to people professionally and setting them at ease to get information from them helps too. First rule, get them talking, you listen. That way they feel important and in control, but you simply steer the conversation. Second rule, be friendly. At that time, nothing else matters. Don't look at your phone, or other distractions.

Works the same way if you are in sales. Simple psychology 101.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Don't know if you have this expression stateside, but, you are one jammy bast**d! LOL

·
Registered
12,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
...The clerk leans, in, and says, I can do $99, it going on close out in 2 week or so, and I already found another job...

Me thinks that you were unwittingly complicit is a bit of "inventory shrinkage". The comment about "I already found another job" indicates to me that you got an unauthorized discount.

While you may not have asked for a discount, it certainly seems like you got an unauthorized discount and that clerk deserves to be terminated immediately - and - depending on the state, should be criminally charged.

I spent 15 years working in the JAG office for the PX in Europe (most people don't know that the PX is a military command) and cashiers giving friends (or strangers) unauthorized discounts is not that unusual - and in the PX, each got fired, charged by the local authorities if local employees, sent to court martial if military or sent back to the US with their sponsor if a dependent.

Nice watch though.

·
Registered
12,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I could have gone for the Armitron's, marked 90% off.

It could have been, or they were told to close the deal, here is how far you can go and she was using psychology on me. Perhaps I could have gotten 60 off. Judging by the amount of people in there, I think they would sell anything for what ever they could get. It was a ghost town.

They are giving 100% sears bucks on all purchases as, well. Plus 50% points for online purchases with in-store purchase code on receipts. It smells of desperation in there.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Well, I could have gone for the Armitron's, marked 90% off.

It could have been, or they were told to close the deal, here is how far you can go and she was using psychology on me. Perhaps I could have gotten 60 off. Judging by the amount of people in there, I think they would sell anything for what ever they could get. It was a ghost town.

They are giving 100% sears bucks on all purchases as, well. Plus 50% points for online purchases with in-store purchase code on receipts. It smells of desperation in there.

·
Registered
11,587 Posts
Me thinks that you were unwittingly complicit is a bit of "inventory shrinkage". The comment about "I already found another job" indicates to me that you got an unauthorized discount.

While you may not have asked for a discount, it certainly seems like you got an unauthorized discount and that clerk deserves to be terminated immediately - and - depending on the state, should be criminally charged.

I spent 15 years working in the JAG office for the PX in Europe (most people don't know that the PX is a military command) and cashiers giving friends (or strangers) unauthorized discounts is not that unusual - and in the PX, each got fired, charged by the local authorities if local employees, sent to court martial if military or sent back to the US with their sponsor if a dependent.

Nice watch though.
Wow.

Somebody needs to spike your punch.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Wow.

Somebody needs to spike your punch.
Why. Disgruntled employees don't care and will be happy to give illegal discounts.

In general, cashiers don't have the authority to give additional unadvertised discounts. If they have the authority, then they'll have a log book or something similar where they will record the discount before the sale. At times, the register will record the discount - as in $199, 50% discount, $99.

If the cashier merely rang up $99 for the watch (which is what it sounds like), then that Sears store is short $100 and the cashier is guilty of employee theft.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
To be clear. Sears it closing because of the Executive level mismanagement! Not because a sales clerk gave a discount in the final days before the dirt gets thrown on the casket.

Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,871 Posts

·
Registered
27,047 Posts

Nice watch though.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts