WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

When on holiday, how many watches do you bring with you?

• Just one "apocolypse" watch

Votes: 48 47.5%
  • 2-5 to cover most situations

Votes: 48 47.5%
  • >5 because no way I could choose!

Votes: 5 5.0%
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I usually bring 3 or 4 watches, but it has little to do with needing them for different situations. It's more about the variety. We often vacation on the ocean, beaches up and down the US East Coast, and it's fun to rotate a couple of different dive watches. Most of our family vacations, a dressier watch, leather straps, just make no sense. if we do more of a city vacation - San Francisco, Austin TX have been some destinations - i brought one dive watch and one pilot on a leather strap.

If I'm hiking, i normally bring just one, an inexpensive deep blue dive-style, polycarbonate case, tritium tubes, fabric/zulu strap. Light, durable, easy to read on a pitch-black night in a tent or hammock.

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
When you go on holiday / vacation, how many watches do you bring with you?

I realize a lot will depend on what you're doing (beach, mountains, camping, dinner parties, etc.), for how long you're away, and where you're going.

I'm about to head off on a longer trip where I'm basically living a second life (my not-too-distant retirement), it's not really a "holiday" so much, so I'll bring probably 10 watches to cover the road trip, outdoors activities, casual lunches, dinner parties, light construction/renovation, and just kicking around.

But even for a weekend I'd bring at least two, but probably three, watches with me.

GWM5610, Orient Mako III (white dial), and Protrek PRW2500R-1 are my "top 3" right now; I'd throw in the 9400 Rangeman and GG-1000 Mudmaster for a "top 5".

Funnily, if it had to be only one, it'd have to be the Rangeman. If I can bring three, the Rangeman is just not as pretty, so gets bumped down.

What do you tend to do? Just one watch (a GWG-1000 would probably cover every possible use-case quite well)? Or do you bring a selection from which to choose?

And post up pics of your "top 3"!
ALL OF THEM sounds good to me! ? ?

But for some, that would be nearly impossible. Not to mention, impractical. ;)

For me it would depend on the type of trip, etc. Assuming I'd be comfortable leaving one in the hotel room safe, I could get by with 2 in most cases. One G for outdoor activities, and a more dressy/classy watch (could still be a G or Casio) for dinners, or whatever.

If the trip is a vacation focused mainly/only on outdoor activities, I could even get by with one watch. Maybe a 9400, but probably a GWG-1000 Mudmaster. (or maybe, a GMW-B5000 square) As you can see, there's no indecision here! ? But seriously, I'd probably opt for the GWG, since I would like to have the ABC functions for outdoors, and the GWG looks good enough to wear just about anywhere.

·
Registered
Seiko 8M25-7110
303 Posts
Depends on the length of stay, but generally 2.
Beater dive watch for traveling and the beach (air travel is detrimental to watches in my experience) and a second for the evening / nice dinner / cocktail parties.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I haven’t really traveled since getting into watches again in the last couple years, but I’ve noticed for overnights/weekends away I’ve been bringing my G-Shock GWM5610 and wearing my Halios Fairwind on the bracelet. I don’t see myself bothering with more than two or bringing tools to swap straps or anything like that.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I haven't really traveled since getting into watches again in the last couple years, but I've noticed for overnights/weekends away I've been bringing my G-Shock GWM5610 and wearing my Halios Fairwind on the bracelet. I don't see myself bothering with more than two or bringing tools to swap straps or anything like that.
You are fortunate to have one. It's a great addition to any collection.

From Halios today:
ORDERING TEMPORARILY ON HOLD TO CATCH UP ON ASSEMBLY. IF YOU'VE ALREADY SENT AN EMAIL, YOU'LL RECEIVE A FOLLOW-UP AS SOON AS WE'VE WORKED THROUGH THE EXISTING ORDERS. THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE WITH THIS ADDITIONAL STEP - THE FAIRWIND IS BEING ASSEMBLED TO ORDER SO THIS ENSURES THAT WE CAN DELIVER WITHIN 2 WEEKS OF YOUR PURCHASE.

·
Registered
177 Posts
You are fortunate to have one. It's a great addition to any collection.

From Halios today:
ORDERING TEMPORARILY ON HOLD TO CATCH UP ON ASSEMBLY. IF YOU'VE ALREADY SENT AN EMAIL, YOU'LL RECEIVE A FOLLOW-UP AS SOON AS WE'VE WORKED THROUGH THE EXISTING ORDERS. THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE WITH THIS ADDITIONAL STEP - THE FAIRWIND IS BEING ASSEMBLED TO ORDER SO THIS ENSURES THAT WE CAN DELIVER WITHIN 2 WEEKS OF YOUR PURCHASE.
Yeah I've checked in on the Fairwind thread on here and seen a lot of folks anxiously awaiting theirs :) I was fortunate to be part of the first run.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I love this discussion, as I often spend more time picking out 2-3 vacation watches than I do picking out all of my other necessities, haha. Typically I always pack at least one G, a "dinner diver" for going out, and a wildcard for fun (different G style, or something non-diver). While theft or loss would be a complete bummer, I don't have anything (yet haha) that is too worrisome in that regard.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Usually two.

One rugged quartz chrono which can be set to a new time zone on the fly (pun intended, ha) and which I would wear for workouts or on the beach. Preferably on a NATO or MN strap.

And one automatic GADA watch for everything else, preferably on a (mesh) bracelet so I don't have to worry about matching anything.

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
18,411 Posts
It depends on where I am going, length of trip, and plans/possibilities when there. I take 1-3 depending on the situation

The one is always a world timer G

·
Registered
710 Posts
i'm off for a 5 day break soon, travelling light, i've no idea what i'll get upto while i'm away, so I think my GST B300 will suit anything and everything, if I do a 2 week trip I would want the same kind of options available as every day life, only narrowed down slightly,so a beater, something special, and something cool in between, as opposed to at home where i've a few of each category to choose from

as for taking too many and risk being mugged or damaging one, one could argue that stuff can happen going about your regular day all year round...

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Haven't taken a vacation in a while that requires air travel but if I were going to it would be only two...one G and one auto: my GW9400 and my Seiko Turtle (or Glycine Combat Sub).
On a side note: I actually take two watches to work every day. I wear a GD-350 on my wrist to get through the metal detector, without having to remove my watch, and an auto (depends on the rotation) in my backpack which goes through the x-ray machine. The G-Shock is on my wrist for trips into the power plant and the auto is on my wrist for the rest of the day when I'm at my desk or meetings.

·
Registered
100 Posts
One, my Sub...

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
One for the beach...

One for the restaurant...

21 - 40 of 80 Posts