WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

When on holiday, how many watches do you bring with you?

• Just one "apocolypse" watch

Votes: 48 47.5%
  • 2-5 to cover most situations

Votes: 48 47.5%
  • >5 because no way I could choose!

Votes: 5 5.0%
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

Registered
as for taking too many and risk being mugged or damaging one, one could argue that stuff can happen going about your regular day all year round...
i was wondering the same thing. how many muggings, thefts or losses have they had or what cities/parts of the city are they frequenting to come that conclusion. do they travel with a camera or laptop? both easily worth more than most Gs.

Registered
depends on destination, duration and activity. if its local and mostly city/shopping/social based then the models will be based more on styling and coordination. overseas trips with a variety of stuff on the cards, recently its been a protrek (which has always been a holiday staple), gwg muddie and a ranger.
for my next trip (japan as soon as the borders open and the prices come down!) im thinking the gbdh and a frog to accompany the protrek. any more and its just eating into my luggage space for bringing more home 馃槈

Premium Member
Garmin for the hiking we inevitably do, then something quasi dressy, but still 鈥渞ugged鈥 - SMP for example鈥.

Premium Member
Interesting thread! I have a question: what are your thoughts on flying with watches in your checked luggage?
My thoughts on that is that it's crazy to do that, and I definitely wouldn't do that.

Reactions: cjokini and Celt001

Registered
Interesting thread! I have a question: what are your thoughts on flying with watches in your checked luggage?
well when youre bringing back 5-15+ watches you dont have a choice, esp. when youre carry on is already full of camera gear 馃槄 tho ive also checked $1000's worth of camera gear 馃し鈥嶁檪锔
also i found the immigration guys that do the checked luggage to be far more casual and friendly than the ones at the xray machines

Registered
Great idea for a thread. I always put some though into this... which is probalby sad because right now I have only 4 watches :D

This year for my solo vacation, a motorcycle trip through Austria, then the Italian Dolomites to the lake Garda, I took no Gs (gasp). A Garmin Instinct Solar Tactical for route tracking. Strapping this bad boy to the handlebars, I had GPS speedometer, GPS altimeter, compass, thermometer, barometer, the works. The solar-assisted battery life is so great that 10-12-hours' GPS-tracked rides took less than half off it. Plus it saves the route, so I can access or share it anytime online. On the photos if you look closely you can make out the moss-green watch.
I also took a Seiko Samurai Great White Shark SE, because that is my dedicated vacation watch with some fond memories and no lakeside chill is complete without a dive watch.

Later, on the domestic family vacation, I brought the Seiko and my Omega Planet Ocean.

For last year's motorcycle trip (Austrian Alps) I took the GW-5000, because it fits nicely under gloves and the only ABC watch I had at that time was on combi bracelet.

For 2018 and 2019 tours (Slovakia, Transylvania) I took a PRW-6600 exclusively, on handlebar duty. It was great, although in retrospect not as useful as the Garmin Instinct.

Registered
When I travel, I bring one watch with me. I don't like having to worry about traveling with lots of watches.

I usually bring a watch that is world time capable if traveling overseas. If camping or in a rugged area, I wear a G-Shock or a Protrek (Protreks can take a beating)

Now if I go to a Sherlock Holmes meeting type vacation, I will also take a pocket watch (a late 1800's or early 1900's Longines)

41 - 60 of 79 Posts