WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

When on holiday, how many watches do you bring with you?

• Just one "apocolypse" watch

Votes: 48 47.5%
  • 2-5 to cover most situations

Votes: 48 47.5%
  • >5 because no way I could choose!

Votes: 5 5.0%
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
One good one! Vance.

Reactions: Dxnnis

·
Registered
166 Posts
I haven't really traveled since getting into watches again in the last couple years, but I've noticed for overnights/weekends away I've been bringing my G-Shock GWM5610 and wearing my Halios Fairwind on the bracelet. I don't see myself bothering with more than two or bringing tools to swap straps or anything like that.
Well I went on vacation last week and did not do what I said I would. Brought both watches…also brought a rubber strap and changing tool for the Fairwind. And…I wore the Fairwind on the bracelet the whole time and never took anything out of the watch roll…

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just got back from vacation and I took 4 watches with me. Ended up giving one away so I was left with 3. I think that worked out well so next time I would bring 3. I might do 4 again if I plan on giving one away.

·
Registered
10,720 Posts
I would not take anymore than 2 as I can't be bothered with the hassle of taking more stuff away
That's the reason I leave the wife at home...

·
Registered
722 Posts
Likely a controversial answer, and definitely depends on what your idea of "holiday" entails, but I would say bring ZERO watches. IMHO the best thing about being on vacation is divorcing myself, at least temporarily, from temporal obligations. Sure you'll have a phone with you, pretty sure that will tell the time and have alarms/timers on it if you need them, so maybe give your wrist and your watches a vacation too?

In any event, I hope you have (had?) an amazing holiday @ridelikeaturtle!

Reactions: ridelikeaturtle

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have taken many vacations in the past 50 years, some lasting for a few years, but never brought more than one watch - usually the watch I trusted the most at that occasion.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Likely a controversial answer, and definitely depends on what your idea of "holiday" entails, but I would say bring ZERO watches. IMHO the best thing about being on vacation is divorcing myself, at least temporarily, from temporal obligations. Sure you'll have a phone with you, pretty sure that will tell the time and have alarms/timers on it if you need them, so maybe give your wrist and your watches a vacation too?

In any event, I hope you have (had?) an amazing holiday @ridelikeaturtle!
That's a great perspective, and certainly what most people /should/ be taking into consideration for a "holiday", especially something less than 3 weeks.

I'm using the term a bit too loosely, for the purposes of the thread. In my specific case, I'm pretty much living abroad (in a second home) for nearly three months, with the idea that this'll be my life maybe in a few years (or less?). So... I brought them all. In fact, I'm having to remind myself that /I'm not really on holiday/, this is/could be my everyday life.

So.. taking the dog to the beach and swim in the ocean? Mudman. Going for a hike in the mountains? Rangeman or ProTrek. Sunday lunch? Orient Mako III or Seiko 5 Diastar ("Helmet"). Loading the van with junk? GWM5610. Going to IKEA? GWB5600HR. Even my super-inexpensive Casios (e.g, my "Casio Royale") is getting worn.

I really wanted to have them all, "just in case".

Thanks for all the replies, it gives great "food for thought" and is interesting to hear everyone's perspectives!

·
Registered
13 Posts
You only need 2. 1 G-Shock digital (preferably a 5000) and 1 analog of the dressier persuasion.

Or just 1 if you combine both qualities above and also happen to own a GMWB5000.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I'm coming around to the idea of needing only four:

Square (GWM-5610-1ER) : for work
Mudmaster (GG-1000-1A) : for play
ProTrek (PRW2500-1) : for everything inbetween
Casioak : for non-casual (e.g., a shirt).

When I can't bring the whole box... yeah, this is my go-to set.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Two ideally, three if I'm being fancy. A G-Shock for beach, hiking, knocking around whatever. Some kind of GADA like a diver. If I expect to be dressing up to go out to dinner, I might bring a dressier watch too.

Normally bringing more than two would seem a little too precious to me, but with COVID, I don't feel like I have tons of opportunities to wear dressier watches these days, so I'd have to seize the opportunity.

Reactions: ridelikeaturtle

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have one watch, and I wear it all the time almost without taking it off. They were given to me during my vacation in Australia as a souvenir of this trip by a Marine. We rented noosa holiday houses, and Mike rented a similar house nearby. He showed us the most interesting places in Australia and organized an amazing fishing trip by boat. Great guy. And when we were going to return to America, he gave me his watch. Unfortunately, now contacts with him are lost, but for me these hours mean a lot.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Two ideally, three if I'm being fancy. A G-Shock for beach, hiking, knocking around whatever. Some kind of GADA like a diver. If I expect to be dressing up to go out to dinner, I might bring a dressier watch too.

Normally bringing more than two would seem a little too precious to me, but with COVID, I don't feel like I have tons of opportunities to wear dressier watches these days, so I'd have to seize the opportunity.
Actually a good point.

If I had to go with TWO, it'd be:

1: MUDMASTER
2: Casioak

Why? The Casioak would cover any minimalist, business-casual, or "Sunday lunch" situtation, it really is such an extremely versatile form-factor.

The Mudmaster series of analog-digital versions is just better looking than a 9400 Rangeman and would be ideal for so many more casual situations. I'm so sorry, as I love the Rangeman and it's my FIRST CHOICE if going into the wilderness... but it's a bit too specific if narrowing down to TWO for a holiday. You could wear a Mudmaster if you were at the beach, or on a hike, or renovating your holiday home - it's just freaking brilliant.

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
If I was going on a vacation that did not involve a watch convention, I would only take one watch. I don't think you need more then one watch for a trip. I usually take a watch that matches the type of trip I am going on. If it is a camping trip then a Protrek or G-Shock, if it is a trip where i am going to have to go to various black tie event, I will wear a dressy type watch for the entire trip. If I am on a trip that I have both touristy places to visit and also some dress up event, I will wear the watch I brought to wear for the touristy places (in most cases a Seiko diver or a G-Shock). I have never been denied entrance in a expensive restaurant because I was wearing a G-Shock. All they care about is that I have the money to pay for it.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I like to bring one, usually a G with tide function. I find it makes me bond with the watch and attaches memories and sentimental value to the watch if it goes with me everywhere on that vacay.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I only take one watch, almost always my GW-5000. For one thing, I am worried about keeping anything valuable in my holiday accomodation (like additional watches), so I keep my single holiday watch on my wrist 24x7. Also I have a young family, so we typically go to holiday paris. The GW-5000 is very practical for this situation, while still feeling like a special watch (at least for G fans!)

61 - 79 of 79 Posts