WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow watch fanatics.

I am heading to Tokyo in 2 months and I'm thinking of buying yet another watch ("Wow, surprise." says my wife...)--

I don't want to spend much since I've been buying too many watches lately, but I'm thinking of spending about $500 or so.

I'm guessing that at that price I should be looking for a vintage watch. I don't think I want to buy something that you can find at any local Macy's or mall watch shop here back in the states....

Something in a diver model perhaps. Does anyone have any favorites I should look into while heading over there? Also, anyone here have a good source in Tokyo for vintage watches? Any advice is appreciated!:-!

·
Registered
37,143 Posts
Oh and I know of one place that sells a good range of vintage pieces. It's in Ueno, close to Marui Dept Store, which is right in front of JR Ueno Station. Actually there are quite a number of watch shops in the Ueno area, particularly in and around the Ameyoko market. You should spend a good day there, I reckon you'll find some goodies.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Kiwidj-- I've been to Tokyo many times and have seen many touristy stuff. I am mostly looking for advice on where to find a good selection of vintage watches (and then, also, what watches folks here on WUS like)--

I will definitely look up the store near the Ueno station-- that's great knowledge, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not totally decided-- I say Seikos because I'm not sure what else there is to look at... I was kinda hoping people would hop on this topic and post pics of cool vintage japanese watches and then I could keep my eye open for them at the vintage shops... Or some "special" watches that might be hard to find here but easily found in Tokyo.. If i don't see any watch recommendations I'll just have to show up and browse (which usually gets me in more trouble!--haha--)-- I'd love to have a few models that I like, and then actually go search for them at the shops--

·
Banned
149 Posts
If you are looking for a nice automatic diver you should just pickup a pre-owned Longines Hydro Conquest and just take it with you. Great watch for the money as I have owned a couple of them in the past.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a Credor today!

-T

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you are looking for a nice automatic diver you should just pickup a pre-owned Longines Hydro Conquest and just take it with you. Great watch for the money as I have owned a couple of them in the past.
Yeah, that is a nice watch indeed- But part of my love of watches is the search, especially if I'm out of country and can take a look around the shops-- I want to one day tell my kids, as I pass a watch down to them, "I bought this one in Tokyo while on a business trip", even if it's something i could've bought here at home--

So that's why I'm looking at Japanese brands only for this purchase-- Great watch though!

Thanks--

Gordon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts