WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be going on our honeymoon soon, and I plan to bring my Steinhart and STOWA :-! Starting in Munich, and then making our way Northwest towards Baden Baden in the Northern part of the Black Forest. We will then head Southeast towards Mittenwald and the Bavarian Alps.

We have a fairly packed schedule. However if there is time, I would love to check out a factory or two. Steinhart will be within striking distance in Augsburg, and so will STOWA in Engelsbrand. The GO factory will have to wait - different region - so unfortunately not in the cards. (Plus, my fiancee is not going to Germany just to see watch factories :oops:)

Would love to hear some suggestions about which factories you would visit and why.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Are you sure there is an actual Steinhart factory in Germany? I thought it was primarily Swiss produced with minor finishing in Germany and envisioned only smallish nondescript space in Augsburg. I could be wrong.

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,634 Posts
I do not know of a Steinhart factory in Augsburg, you might consider to visit Damasko in Regensburg, UTS in Munich, Schauer/Stowa in Engelsbrand, Benzinger in Pforzheim.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Congratulations on the wedding, but are you sure you should be visiting watch factories on your honeymoon? :think:

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^ Thanks. Yep, I'm sure. In addition to a watch factory, I'll be dragging her to a Bayern Munich soccer game, the BMW factory and multiple breweries!

·
Registered
647 Posts
^ Thanks. Yep, I'm sure. In addition to a watch factory, I'll be dragging her to a Bayern Munich soccer game, the BMW factory and multiple breweries!
Well, aside from UTS, you could try Erwin Sattler but they make more clocks than watches. There is another independent near the Viktualienmarkt I think but I can't remember the name for the life of me.
OT:
If you like a pint, try the Augustinerbraeu hell beer and yes, Hofbraeuhaus if you must. The Paulanerkeller is a bit more genteel (even my other half didn't mind that when we lived in Munich).
However, to show your missus how much you appreciate her patience, you could always try talking her for tea in the Four Seasons following a stroll down Maximillianstrasse! ;o) Have fun and good hunting!

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, aside from UTS, you could try Erwin Sattler but they make more clocks than watches. There is another independent near the Viktualienmarkt I think but I can't remember the name for the life of me.
OT:
If you like a pint, try the Augustinerbraeu hell beer and yes, Hofbraeuhaus if you must. The Paulanerkeller is a bit more genteel (even my other half didn't mind that when we lived in Munich).
However, to show your missus how much you appreciate her patience, you could always try talking her for tea in the Four Seasons following a stroll down Maximillianstrasse! ;o) Have fun and good hunting!
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Tea is a good idea too! Yes, we both enjoy trying new beers, so I think we'll be in the right place :-! I was just kidding about dragging her to all those places. :-d I'm sure we will check out the Maximillianstrasse, Viktualienmarkt, Hofbrauhaus, Deutsches Museum, City Center, English Garden and maybe time for a soccer game.

If anyone else has experience with visiting Bavaria, please feel free to chime in!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
And she's ok with all that? You caught a keeper, that's for sure. Thank of us when you're enjoying a Spaten! :-!

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I was just in Munich in May. Coincidentally, it was also for my honeymoon.

I didn't have a lot of luck finding shops in the city that specialized in German watch brands, but I also didn't have a ton of time to look either.

As far as some of the highlights for me...I REALLY enjoyed the BMW Museum, the Paulaner Brauhaus (which was suggested by my cousin-in-law--who's also a local), and the Kloster Andechs brewery and monastery (about an hour outside the city).

Have fun!

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,634 Posts
Some german brands can be found here:

Uhren Hieber GmbH
Donnersbergerstr. 36
80634 München-Neuhausen

Vintage

Uhren Eder
Prannerstr.4
D-80333 München