WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, fellow watch-idolisers,

next summer I´m off for university.
Though I have quite some watches in my collection now, I´m afraid there´s no one for the job.

That means I´ll have to get me a new one. The difficulty in buying this watch is that it´ll have to be my only watch for several years since I´m leaving the collection at my parents´ house.
It´ll have to be a watch for all occasions. It should be sporty but also fit with a shirt. And most of all: It needs to be a watch that I can live with for the better part of five years without buying a new one.

The criteria are:

- doesn´t need to be brand new, yet not an old crock

- A sports watch

- Water resistant

- Automatic movement, yet not necessarily

- metal bracelet is a must, rubber strap also okay, but definetely no leather

- should have a dark dial

- functions: dial shouldn´t be too busy, rotating bezel is all right, ana/digi only if it´s elegant too, chronograph depending on the model...

- shouldn´t cost more than 500 Euros

- should be from a reputable brand like Omega, Tag etc.

I have already found two models that would meet nearly all the criteria:

The first one is the Tag Heuer S/EL. It looks rugged, but is it?

The second one is the Omega Constellation. I´d have nearly bought one of these recently but decided otherwise. Is this one a watch you can wear every day?

I´d like you to give me some more examples with a good explaination why they are recommendable.

And I have forgotten to list the most important one: It shouldn´t be too brash: It mustn´t be bicolor. I love bicolor but thieves like it too and I won´t have the money to just buy another watch. It should on the other hand be no underdog like an Orient or a LumiNox.

Thanks for your help in advance and happy holidays!

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Theres no problem taking your collection with you. What does this consist of? Unless you dont mind something similar to before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
Considering your user name is 'Omegaman600' and you own an Omega and want another 3, I don't think you'll be able to go for 5 years if you don't have an Omega on! ;-)
500 Euro isn't a lot to buy you an Omega, but find the nicest one you can. You can spend Uni getting in touch with your vintage side.
Good luck!

PS: That TAG is fugly IMO.

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
Where can you get an Omega constellation for 500euros? Or an automatic chronograph from a reputable maker? The TAG is quartz and the bracelet is very flashy, which you wish to avoid.

I think you need to clarify a few points as currently it's a bit vague.

·
Registered
289 Posts
It's better not to bring any collections to school... And also lock or good even at your parents house.

For EUR500 um... I would suggest like others for an Omega or a Sinn, or a temption

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Theres no problem taking your collection with you. What does this consist of? Unless you dont mind something similar to before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oops was on tapatalk didnt see your signature. Well im currently at uni. And i take all of mine except for maybe the rolex. Whats the point of having a hobby i enjoy and love if i cant admire it? The TAG is pretty much my everyday go to. I dont think i can survive with just one for the whole time.
However with the budget you provided you cant really get much.. Even going secondhand/vintage youll need to factor in service and maintenance. If youre set on swiss then look at hamiltons not much else fits your criteria and price point.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where can you get an Omega constellation for 500euros? Or an automatic chronograph from a reputable maker? The TAG is quartz and the bracelet is very flashy, which you wish to avoid.

I think you need to clarify a few points as currently it's a bit vague.
I thought about the nineties Constellation with the brackets. Maybe I´ll widen the budget and get the ´95 with the domed bezel.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Considering your user name is 'Omegaman600' and you own an Omega and want another 3, I don't think you'll be able to go for 5 years if you don't have an Omega on! ;-)
500 Euro isn't a lot to buy you an Omega, but find the nicest one you can. You can spend Uni getting in touch with your vintage side.
Good luck!

PS: That TAG is fugly IMO.
I´m also in doubt one watch will be enough for these years.

Maybe there´ll be some sort of flee market with nice vintage ones on. But to start with I´d like to have an Omega. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Reactions: omegaman600

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I´m also in doubt one watch will be enough for these years.

Maybe there´ll be some sort of flee market with nice vintage ones on. But to start with I´d like to have an Omega. Any suggestions?
Vintage bumper with a gold filled case. Your budget should have the funds for the watch, a new band and a restore assumung the watch is in good cosmetic shape initially.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I don't have either of those two, but the quality of the Monster is fantastic for the price. The bracelets are really very, very high quality, the bezel is good and the lume is outstanding. The newer versions have the hand wind/hacking movement, but I quite like the 7S26.

It should cover all the points you mentioned, be cheap to service and it is a bit of a right of passage. These watches do punch above their price point. I wrote a review of my Orange Monster. Will see if I can find it.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Reactions: omegaman600

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Vintage bumper with a gold filled case. Your budget should have the funds for the watch, a new band and a restore assumung the watch is in good cosmetic shape initially.
Great idea! Been looking at these as well. A vintage chrono would also be nice. Something like a Baume et Mercier or a Lemania.

But Omega is my absolute favourite

·
Registered
63 Posts
One of the good Seiko's is probably best. If you take a Tag or Omega it better never leave your wrist. Or you could go micro and grab a nice watch from a brand your. Average classmate won't recognize as valuable.

Omega is to commonly known for it to be left sitting around campus housing.

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
17,649 Posts
For some reason a Hamilton Khaki just feels like an outstanding all-around watch for a university student

·
Registered
105 Posts
I did nearly buy an new Omega Seamaster once, I got an Ebel 1911 instead, because the Omega was a quartz and the Ebel an automatic. Actually though, given the same choice now, I may well go for an Omega of some description. I have a quartz now, not an expensive make at all. My collection is sold or given away. I did also once own a Tag quartz once.

I don't know the prices of these watches you mention second hand now, but I do know that one just has to be prepared to wait and look around until you find what you're looking for in terms of price, appearence etc. This activity is its own reward and brings other benefits too, as I'm sure you are aware. It is surprising what you can find.

Also what about using one of the watches you already own? It will save you money and I suppose that you do like those watches, them having been already chosen by you.

Best wishes in your watch search and also for your time at university.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For some reason a Hamilton Khaki just feels like an outstanding all-around watch for a university student
I do have a Hamilton Viewmatic. What sort of Khaki specifically? There are chronos, divers, pilots.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts