WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this video on the internet - a kid set an appointment to try the gold Apple Watch. Pretty interesting to see his impressions. Thought of sharing this with you guys.

My favorite part of the video is seeing the Apple guy explaining that the box of the Watch Edition is a "design achievement".

What say you, gentlemen?

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I think the gold Apple Watch on the black leather strap is really beautiful. In general, it's a lovely smartwatch. Looks-wise, I think Apple's nailed it, and I think their straps are brilliant, and something the watch industry should be paying attention to.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I think the gold Apple Watch on the black leather strap is really beautiful. In general, it's a lovely smartwatch. Looks-wise, I think Apple's nailed it, and I think their straps are brilliant, and something the watch industry should be paying attention to.
Actually I tried on the 42mm stainless steel one (for a cool $1200 cnd). It's nice I suppose.

The problem with the apple gold watch is that it's a 5 figure item that will be worth it's weight in scrap metals in 8 years time. They should have tried to make it modular somehow, at least the high end models.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
The problem with the apple gold watch is that it's a 5 figure item that will be worth it's weight in scrap metals in 8 years time. They should have tried to make it modular somehow, at least the high end models.
Well, yeah. You'll notice I said nothing about the tech. The outside, however, is beautifully designed and very nicely finished.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Undoubtedly these watches look great.

Their functionality is dubious to me, but I'll leave that to individual opinion.

This gold version strikes me as conspicious consumption of the worst kind though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nothing against apple, and I own quite a few different apple devices, but for some reason I just really dislike this product, and its price.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
This gold version strikes me as conspicious consumption of the worst kind though.
Which is why it will totally sell. "Look, I can afford a $17,000 watch that I'll put in a drawer and forget about in a year when I buy another."

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Well, yeah. You'll notice I said nothing about the tech. The outside, however, is beautifully designed and very nicely finished.
True. Sorry to go a little off topic.

Yes I agree, there is nothing wrong with the aesthetics of the apple watch. In this competitive market place I'm sure if they could market the entry level model for less they would. That said if the entry level model was $140ish I would buy one just because I'm a big apple nerd goober, and because watches are rad and the apple watch is undeniably nice. It would hard to get bored of it just on the basis of being able to change dials on a whim.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The watch is more than even his car. I'm sure in a few years time when the gold edition can only fetch a price of $1000, guys or gals will be sporting the thing as they get out of their Ford Fiesta.

I've seen many $5000 cars with $10,000 in wheels. It's all about the shoes!

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
They should have tried to make it modular somehow, at least the high end models.
We don't know that it isn't already modular.

(probably not anyway, but Apple hasn't said, and nobody else has opened one up yet; expect a teardown in a day or two. Its battery can be replaced, however)

I may yet go see one just to handle it, just like the time I got to check out a platinum Day-Date.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Actually I tried on the 42mm stainless steel one (for a cool $1200 cnd). It's nice I suppose.

Great post. It is not like an old gold Rolex or Cartier that will always work. Eventually the current Apple Watch will become obsolete and will in fact be "scrap" gold.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts