WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have this vintage Omega Geneve. Havent worn it in a while and I'm surprised to see this pinkish purplish tarnish

Any idea how I can remove it without polishing? Also bugs me cause isnt the "normal" tarnish usually rusty. The purplish / pink color makes it look really cheap

Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 11.32.06 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 11.32.15 AM.png

·
Registered
603 Posts
Apparently purple tarnish occurs on gold which has been alloyed with aluminium.

From yournecklace.co.uk - “To remove surface tarnishing of your gold jewellery, you can add a few drops of mild, non-phosphate dishwashing liquid to warm water and wipe the tarnished part with the mixture using your fingers or a cotton swab. Do not use toothpaste or baking soda as they are too abrasive. Dry your jewellery with a soft cotton cloth or allow it to lie flat and air dry completely even if it takes overnight and then once dry, you may polish it with a soft cotton cloth or a jewellery polishing cloth for shine.”

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Try a local jewellery store and buy a jewellers rouge cloth. Meant for hand polishing gold items. Two sided. Polishing compound on one side and final finish on the other.

If they don't have. Google jewellers supplies in your area

DON

·
Registered
768 Posts
You do not need polish to remove oxidisation. You do need antioxidisation paste. What I do use is a paste that is used as soap with water. Brushed away with old toothbrush. Googling brings several products. In prosess you need to take movement out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts