WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my fathers estate finally finalized, I was always planning on buying a Gold Rolex President Day Date with part of the money to pass down as a family heirloom ( good used ones can be found under $10,000us ) and budgeting myself ( buying in Cdn $ is a killer ) so have seen quite a few.
But then I saw this...
OMEGA SPEEDMASTER LIMITED EDITION MOONWATCH PROFESSIONAL SOLID GOLD MENS WATCH | eBay

Now I thought, if I posted on Rolex forum, they would say Rolex and of course Omega...Omega etc
So looking for some advice as this will be a keeper that I plan on passing down to my son and hopefully he will pass on etc etc

So, seriously, would a Rolex President ( white or yellow gold ) be the wiser choice, or the limited Omega Speedmaster the way to go....
Advice greatly appreciated

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Frankly, I wouldn't do either, but the Rolex at least makes some sense. The Day/Date, stodgy as it is, is a classic. There's something about a gold Speedy, particularly a Speedy Pro, that seems wrong to me. It should be stainless steel. But that's only my opinion, and my opinions are rarely universal. I'd also be suspicious picking either one up on eBay. Buy from a dealer, or one of our trusted resellers.

And, though my opinion has not been solicited on the matter, I don't think you can plan an heirloom. It only becomes one looking back from the next generation. Sonny Boy may throw it in the back of a dresser drawer, put it on 22nd Century eBay, or may wear it with great fondness and pride in the Old Man's style. Time will tell.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
I am not a gold guy, but I would probably go with the president as it is a dressy watch compared to the omega which is a sporty watch.

But I would likely go for this instead

·
Registered
392 Posts
Out of the two choices the Rolex would make a better choice. A Speedmaster in gold is not as it was intended but, a Day-Date has only ever been in precious metals. Keep in mind other brands too.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I also would go with the Rolex. It's a natural in gold, unlike the Speedy, which looks more natural in stainless steel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: castlk and McLeod

·
Premium Member
7,544 Posts
The seller of that gold Speedy you posted is a complete idiot. Don't bother with it.

"New/Old Stock" with scratches, no stickers, no papers, no original box, clearly used strap. Watch in that condition is worth closer to $5000.

Reactions: McLeod

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies.
The Gold Speedmaster ( and prob not just that one piece ) caught my eye only because of it's rarity compared to other Speedmasters models. Yes I've seen plenty of SS or even the 2-tone models but not very many solid gold. And while it's true that you can't wear it like regular SS Speedmasters it just stood out to me, and if given the choice would prefer white gold as it looks more like SS.
Will prob stick to my original plan and get a President. I thought about a Patek, but good models are a little more out of my budget. Even the Day Dates with the President band are $12-15k us which is more then I wanted to spend. Most gold Day Dates with leather bands I can find from $6k us and up.

......and just to add, my son is starting to collect his own watches now but still borrows mine from time to time, so I know whatever I decide will be in good hands.....

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,793 Posts
Between a gold Rolex Day-Date and a gold Speedy? And it's this sketchy Speedy in particular? Rolex 100%, and I'd get one on a bracelet, too. I was given a gold-PVD Rado and have come to totally enjoy the look (although any shreds of self-consciousness are tempered by knowing that it's only plated and not solid gold).

Generally, though, the question is a lot like the thread asking opinions of precious metal sport watches. Some watches like the JLCs posted earlier look "at home" in gold, and others... well, they just don't.

·
Premium Member
22,579 Posts
I agree with the general sentiment that if one is looking for a gold watch, then a dress watch seems like a natural choice, with the other exception being a Rolex Day-Date President.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You'll fit in better with a Gold Rolex vs a Gold Omega.;

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
Did you say a gold watch for family heirloom?

Neither. I'll go this route. LOL~

Lange-Saxonia-Grey-Dial-2.jpg

A gold Speedmaster really isn't THE Speedmaster to own. Precious material doesn't add the charm. You might as well stay with the steel moon watch.

Gold Rolex really has something not very attractive mentally....although number of gold Rolex I actually do like. I think this year's DD with olive dial gold is very successful creation.

day-date_40_rose_gold_7_.jpg

To be honest, a family heirloom Gold Rolex, the real answer is here:

rolex-gmt-master-ii-in-white-gold-0.jpg

·
Registered
10,730 Posts
Though the President is a little over the top for me, I would definitely go for a gold Rolex over a gold Omega, in any model or style. Rolex and gold work well together, but not true for Omega, I think.

·
Registered
31,435 Posts
OP firstly buy what you prefer!

Advice from me = Rolex is a gold watch, Speedy isn't!!

As for all gold on a bracelet= too blingy for me (And most I would suggest) However gold case and nice brown croc = classy.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
I suspect the Rolex is the way to go, especially for an heirloom. You can always point to . . . Kennedy or Eisenhower (can't remember which) who had the "President's Watch." But no astronaut took a gold Speedmaster to the moon.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts