WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm the proud owner of a new Seiko SKX007J and had a question... I am an avid golfer and was wondering if golfing with my watch on ruin the movement of the watch?

thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
The 7S26 is said to be quite durable and made to take a beating! ;-) I'd keep wearing while golfing. Who knows, the extra weight might give a bit of extra distance, lol! :)

Reactions: Robinoz

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
Ask yourself the following:

1. What did people wear to the golf course before quartz watches came along?

2. How much did I pay for my 007?

I wouldn't go playing rugby with it, but for that watch I would have no problem playing golf with it. Now if it was a [much] more expensive piece I would think differently.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have an SKX173 200m diver (Singapore movement), bought from the local Seiko company store in Northern Virginia about three years ago that I use for mostly all of my sports activities. It came on a straight vent rubber diver strap and I have since changed it over to a Seiko oyster bracelet.

Probably the most "shocking thing" that I do with this watch is handgun target shooting. For those who are unfamiliar, firearms impart significant recoil (or kick) when discharged. I can't possibly tell you how many rounds I have fired with guns in .45 ACP, 40 S&W, 380 ACP, and 9MM calibers. There have been no ill effects to the watch doing this and, IMHO, I would think this would present more shock to the watch than the strike of a golf ball.

The next most torturous thing I subject the watch to is road bicycling. I wear it for 2-3 hours at a time of riding on all types of roads, on bikes with zero suspension, ultra stiff racing frame and wheel construction, and training tires inflated to at least 125 psi. I normally average about 3500 miles per year of this riding, and it can be a very tough on a watch. Sometimes the road vibrations coming up through the front fork can cause the watch and bracelet to rattle on my wrist so loud the noise can actually be annoying, and I have to stuff the watch in my riding glove a little to try and stop the noise. Again, no ill effects to the watch whatsoever.

I also use the watch for timing myself swimming laps in a pool. I make sure the crown is tight and in I go. I swim for about 30-45 minutes minimum, and the watch being thrashed around and mostly underwater all of that time, several occasions per week. No problems.

In my opinion, Seiko divers are very tough watches and they are probably tougher that you are. My rule of thumb with this 173 is, "If I can take the shock, the watch can". I am sure there are tons of similar stories with 007s, 009s, 779s etc.

I don't think golfing is going to hurt it at all. Wear it and go for it, and probably the worst thing that will happen to it is it will get sweaty and dirty. Take a soft toothbrush, some mild hand soap, scrub it down, and ta-daaaa, it will be as good as new.

You will also be able to record the exact time of that "Hole-in-One". :-!

Have fun,

Dave

·
Registered
110 Posts
With the sedentary nature of so many Americans these days, offices at home, and so forth, I'd imagine most automatic watches (if they could do so) would express gratitude for the additional wrist and arm movement that golfing provides.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I've always found it ironic that so many golfers have watch sponsorships but don't actually play with them on. In fact, very few actually play with a watch. (I know Phil does.) But if you look at Sergio (Omega) and Tiger (Tag) the only pictures of them wearing a watch on the golf course is during trophy presentations or press conferences. So it makes me wonder if there is someone there to remind them to put it on for the photo opportunity.

·
Registered
78 Posts
So it makes me wonder if there is someone there to remind them to put it on for the photo opportunity.
or someone there to remind the golfers to take them off before actually swinging a club.... :-d I wear my watches while golfing, cycling, etc with no problems so far. I do remove my watch before drumming though... That just seems like torture.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I've put my 7s26 through alot of inavertant punishment, no snags so far, but now I would be more careful. Golfing? - probably ok with that tough little movement.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I go for long runs with my SKX009 on or my Citizen with a Miyota 8203, I think you'll be alright.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
I've put my 7s26 through alot of inavertant punishment, no snags so far, but now I would be more careful. Golfing? - probably ok with that tough little movement.
Don't put your head in the lion's mouth...Don't put your head in the lion's mouth...Don't put your head in the lion's mouth!

Ignoring warnings nearly always ends in disaster.

Seiko even says right in it's manuals that the watch should not be worn during golfing.

The dynamics of hitting a golf ball will eventually destroy a mechanical watch. Just because it hasn't happened yet is no guarantee it won't.

Not understanding how a watch works and what's inside doesn't make the wearer immune to damaging it :roll:

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
I go for long runs with my SKX009 on or my Citizen with a Miyota 8203, I think you'll be alright.
Long runs are excellent exercise and serve to charge up automatic watches nicely. This is a non impact exercise as far as the watch is concerned.
Golfing however, is a high impact exercise and is especially detrimental to a mechanical watch.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Long runs are excellent exercise and serve to charge up automatic watches nicely. This is a non impact exercise as far as the watch is concerned.
Golfing however, is a high impact exercise and is especially detrimental to a mechanical watch.

They are!! Are you a runner? I notice my two divers have a smoother sweeping hand after a run. Plus they look so much cooler on a runner than a Timex or ambiguous digital sports watch.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
They are!! Are you a runner? I notice my two divers have a smoother sweeping hand after a run. Plus they look so much cooler on a runner than a Timex or ambiguous digital sports watch.
I don't run...any more; but brisk walking serves the same purpose for my body as well as my automatics.
When I want to put a good wind on two or four of them, I put two on each arm and take a nice 20 minute walk :-!

I don't golf with a watch on. I learned a long time ago how much it can hurt...me, not the watch :-(
I'm not a terribly good golfer and any round of 18 holes will have me smacking the ball so badly that the vibrations go right up the shaft and to my wrist so hard that my watch would leave bruises. If there is enough force to bruise my wrist; I can only imagine the torture the balance spring and pivots must suffer.

Watches should be labeled shock resistant like water resistant instead of proof because they aren't either of those things :-d

·
Registered
516 Posts
Alpha-Getty brings up a simple reality: The manual's recommendation against it. I've been Very hard on my monster, but I like my watches too much to take any more avoidable chances.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Ask yourself the following:

1. What did people wear to the golf course before quartz watches came along?

2. How much did I pay for my 007?

I wouldn't go playing rugby with it, but for that watch I would have no problem playing golf with it. Now if it was a [much] more expensive piece I would think differently.
Exactly! And c'mon now with all this caution--it's not like you're wearing a Rolex, or Cartier Roadster. Why would we popularize the Seiko SKX779 as a "Monster" and be afraid to wear it at golf? NOT like golf is a gargantuan of a sport---not like football, rugby, or hockey.

Angelis

1 - 20 of 37 Posts