WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, over the past week and a bit i've been doing some diving (taking my doxa back to its native enviroment :) )

and just wondering has anyone on here done any diving in madeira??

Where is your favourite place to dive ever?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Greetings from Southern Calfornia

I have never had the priviledge of diving in madeira. Would love to see some pics.

So far my forvorite place to dive is the Channel Islands off the California coast. Catalina in particular is awesome! Thats looking up from 57' on the back side of Santa Cruz last Feb. Kelp forrest are a blast to swim through! b-)

Catalina Dive Park Dec 05, at Jacques Cousteau's Memorial plaque. Excuse the free flowing regulator, I was still newbie diver.

·
14,572 Posts
Re: Greetings from Southern Calfornia

My favorite place (although I haven't been tons of different places) is Bonaire N.A. A couple shots from my diving trip in Aug '07

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Wow what are the fish in first picture?

i've taken some pictures today of my diving, so hopefully i should be able to load them up today.

·
14,572 Posts

Wow what are the fish in first picture?

Those are Caribbean Reef Squid. This was on our last dive right before we exited the water in about 15-20 ft. There was a school of about 30 squid. They measured about 1 foot in length. They were the darker color, but if you notice the two in the middle they are lighter. If you got too close to these little critters they would become this "blanched" lighter color. I agree with Subkrawler, Octopus are probably one of my favorite creatures of the sea, but these little squid are probably second.

·
Registered
11,823 Posts

Those are Caribbean Reef Squid. This was on our last dive right before we exited the water in about 15-20 ft. There was a school of about 30 squid. They measured about 1 foot in length. They were the darker color, but if you notice the two in the middle they are lighter. If you got too close to these little critters they would become this "blanched" lighter color. I agree with Subkrawler, Octopus are probably one of my favorite creatures of the sea, but these little squid are probably second.
That's at night?? Wow, seems like a lot of light for a night dive. b-)

I see a lot of geometric shapes in the third pic, so I assume it's a wreck? (Either that or the Deity was playing some very funny tricks with the sea floor! :-d).

·
14,572 Posts

The dive was during the day. I am not sure where you got the idea it was at night.

The last picture is the Hilma Hooker. It was a drug ship that sank right off the beach in the '80s

·
Registered
11,823 Posts
The dive was during the day. I am not sure where you got the idea it was at night.
Simple. I wrong it read! :-d

"...our last dive right before we left the water...." somehow in my mind read "...our last night dive before we left....".
Hmm... maybe I'm dyslexic? That would explain a lot of things..... :-d. Hey. I gotta go, look at the time. It's three after ten! ;-)

BTW, Will, my favorite diving to date would probably be off Isle Royale in Lake Superior. Yeah, it's colder than the witch's britches, but it is some superb wreck diving (at least it was before the advent of the Zebra Mussel to the Great Lakes, I stopped diving right about that time). Also, I only have 4 logged ocean dives (out of a total of over 300) so, I obviously have some exploring left to do!

Jason, I recall the 'Hooker, I was very active in diving about that time. Wouldn't mind seeing it some day! The only ocean wreck I've been on was the Mercedes, off Ft. Lauderdale. First time was the year after they put 'er down, the next was around 5 years later.

·
14,572 Posts
Simple. I wrong it read! :-d

"...our last dive right before we left the water...." somehow in my mind read "...our last night dive before we left....".
Hmm... maybe I'm dyslexic? That would explain a lot of things..... :-d
You can't understand how many times I have done that same exact thing. I try to read faster than my brain can process the information. I end up making a mess of things:oops::oops:

·
14,572 Posts
Jason, I recall the 'Hooker, I was very active in diving about that time. Wouldn't mind seeing it some day! The only ocean wreck I've been on was the Mercedes, off Ft. Lauderdale. First time was the year after they put 'er down, the next was around 5 years later.
On the list of things to see for me is the Oriskany, (aircraft carrier off Pensacola FLA.) or "the big O" as they call it.

My favorite wreck to date has been the Stavronikita. It is a 365 foot wreck in about 140ft right off the coast of Barbados. Several years ago, a diver could penetrate it quite a bit, but now it is unsafe to do so. Very cool wreck though.

·
DOXA Forum Moderator
5,729 Posts
On the list of things to see for me is the Oriskany, (aircraft carrier off Pensacola FLA.) or "the big O" as they call it.

My favorite wreck to date has been the Stavronikita. It is a 365 foot wreck in about 140ft right off the coast of Barbados. Several years ago, a diver could penetrate it quite a bit, but now it is unsafe to do so. Very cool wreck though.

My favorite place right now is Grand Cayman...but I'm guessing you already knew that.;-)

A close second for me is Destin, FL. The marine life there is large and varied. There aren't any real reefs or wrecks but when it come to the local inhabitants, you never know what you'll see. I've seen 500lb Jewfish, packs of 8ft bullsharks, 5ft barracuda, schools of 12-16" moon jellyfish, so thick you couldn't see the bottom. On one of my last dives there was a massive Jellyfish, either a Lion's Mane or a Medusa, that had filaments 15 feet long.

As far as visibility goes, it isn't anything like the Caribbean but if you hit it right, the marine life more than makes up for it.:-!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts