WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title says. Received the watch as a gift and want to make the best use of it. Any tips or tricks are appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Moderator German Watches Forum
6,011 Posts
We have an Apple Watch forum, where I think you might get more replies.
I will move your post there.

Thanks,
rationaltime

·
Registered
17,885 Posts
Today, I used the Alarm app to wake myself up.* I checked the weather forecast to decide which jacket to bring, and I skimmed over some news during my "morning meditation" (ahem). It counted my walk to school as my exercise for the day, then tapped me when my wife texted to ask if I had made it safely. I passed along a couple texts during the morning, and got a Slack message from my group during lunch. I saw an incoming phone call (my phone is dead silent, because I've turned its vibrations off) and knew to not bother answering. On my way home, it tapped me about my wife calling, and she had me pick up some items from the corner grocery store. After getting home, I took it into the shower**, rinsed it off, then dried it and put it on the charger.

Let's see -- third-party apps I've added and use at least semi-regularly include...
- RadarScope and Dark Sky: weather info, in many versions -- RS for great radar and DS for timeline-style forecasts;
- Slack and KakaoTalk: different messaging apps);
- Clear: companion for the iOS to-do-list app -- pretty good, but I also have Bring! to try someday, and I may try Reminders Nano for slicker integration with iOS's native Reminders app;
- ESPN ScoreCenter: scores, of course;
- News360: News aggregator which displays reasonable snippets of stories, better than NYT's or Washington Post's AW apps;
- Rules!, Alien Invasion, and Lifeline: games;

Others I've either only used a couple times or have yet to seriously try include Mango Health (medication reminder), LoseIt! (companion for favorite calorie-tracking app), My Aspics/Nike+/UA Record/SWorkit/Your Gym/etc (workouts), and more.

Of Apple's stock apps, I don't use Stocks, and I rarely use Photos. All the others find their way into usage at various times. I use Apple Pay whenever I can, too. Getting directions via Maps is pretty cool, and because it automatically shows only basic info for an upcoming turn (scrolling through the route is an option), it's easier to read quickly.

My complications usually consist of Timer, Alarm, Weather, and Date, sometimes with Activity just for kicks. Not all third-party apps come with complications (I see only 6 available out of my list), but not all of Apple's apps come with complications, either.

Force Touch: Try it, get used to it, and enjoy it. If a developer deems it to be useful, it's like adding up to four buttons to the sides of the case, except they're all labeled and context-aware.

For my workout style, the stock Workout app is fine. It's easy to read and doesn't crash (a problem I had with the Nike+ app). I keep telling myself I should try one of the apps with guided workouts displayed on the watch, but I usually just fire up a video on the computer or AppleTV and follow along instead. Ease of use beats granular configurability in my book. I also found an app called Heart Analyzer, which reads all my collected HR data from Apple Health and graphs it out.

One key setting to try for yourself is in General -> Wake Screen. I have mine set to Show Watch Face, mainly because I think it's useful to see the time. Other users set it to Resume Last Activity, which helps them access their last-used app even more quickly; and because Apple prevents developers from removing the small time display in the upper right corner, they can still see the time of day. Try both settings for a couple weeks and see what you like.

* About using it to wake myself in the morning: Yup, I wear it into bed. I usually finish the day with between 30-50% battery, and I drop it on the charger late in the evening when my wife and I have our dessert. It's fully charged by bedtime, so I put it on, switch the face to Modular with all-red lettering, and go to sleep. The "taptic engine" has been so good at waking me up, I don't use anything else. Just in case, though, I've set a few alarms to go off every weekday morning as backups for each other.

** Yes, it's waterproof enough to wash regularly. I've taken it into a swimming pool, too. I have an older iPod Nano which I wouldn't comfortably use as a watch because it's not waterproof. I think Apple learned to not make the same mistake twice, so the AW's water resistance is better than people would expect. When word got out prior to launch that Tim Cook stated he wore his AW in the shower all the time, I felt much more confident in getting one for myself.

Anyway.. How's that for a brief primer?

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,356 Posts
Today, I used the Alarm app to wake myself up.* I checked the weather forecast to decide which jacket to bring, and I skimmed over some news during my "morning meditation" (ahem). It counted my walk to school as my exercise for the day, then tapped me when my wife texted to ask if I had made it safely. I passed along a couple texts during the morning, and got a Slack message from my group during lunch. I saw an incoming phone call (my phone is dead silent, because I've turned its vibrations off) and knew to not bother answering. On my way home, it tapped me about my wife calling, and she had me pick up some items from the corner grocery store. After getting home, I took it into the shower**, rinsed it off, then dried it and put it on the charger.

Let's see -- third-party apps I've added and use at least semi-regularly include...
- RadarScope and Dark Sky: weather info, in many versions -- RS for great radar and DS for timeline-style forecasts;
- Clear: companion for the iOS to-do-list app -- pretty good, but I also have Bring! to try someday, and I may try Reminders Nano for slicker integration with iOS's native Reminders app;
- News360: News aggregator which displays reasonable snippets of stories, better than NYT's or Washington Post's AW apps;

Others I've either only used a couple times or have yet to seriously try include Mango Health (medication reminder), LoseIt! (companion for favorite calorie-tracking app), My Aspics/Nike+/UA Record/SWorkit/Your Gym/etc (workouts), and more.

Of Apple's stock apps, I don't use Stocks, and I rarely use Photos. All the others find their way into usage at various times. I use Apple Pay whenever I can, too. Getting directions via Maps is pretty cool, and because it automatically shows only basic info for an upcoming turn (scrolling through the route is an option), it's easier to read quickly.

My complications usually consist of Timer, Alarm, Weather, and Date, sometimes with Activity just for kicks. Not all third-party apps come with complications (I see only 6 available out of my list), but not all of Apple's apps come with complications, either.

Force Touch: Try it, get used to it, and enjoy it. If a developer deems it to be useful, it's like adding up to four buttons to the sides of the case, except they're all labeled and context-aware.

For my workout style, the stock Workout app is fine. It's easy to read and doesn't crash (a problem I had with the Nike+ app). I keep telling myself I should try one of the apps with guided workouts displayed on the watch, but I usually just fire up a video on the computer or AppleTV and follow along instead. Ease of use beats granular configurability in my book. I also found an app called Heart Analyzer, which reads all my collected HR data from Apple Health and graphs it out.

One key setting to try for yourself is in General -> Wake Screen. I have mine set to Show Watch Face, mainly because I think it's useful to see the time. Other users set it to Resume Last Activity, which helps them access their last-used app even more quickly; and because Apple prevents developers from removing the small time display in the upper right corner, they can still see the time of day. Try both settings for a couple weeks and see what you like.

* About using it to wake myself in the morning: Yup, I wear it into bed. I usually finish the day with between 30-50% battery, and I drop it on the charger late in the evening when my wife and I have our dessert. It's fully charged by bedtime, so I put it on, switch the face to Modular with all-red lettering, and go to sleep. The "taptic engine" has been so good at waking me up, I don't use anything else. Just in case, though, I've set a few alarms to go off every weekday morning as backups for each other.

** Yes, it's waterproof enough to wash regularly. I've taken it into a swimming pool, too. I have an older iPod Nano which I wouldn't comfortably use as a watch because it's not waterproof. I think Apple learned to not make the same mistake twice, so the AW's water resistance is better than people would expect. When word got out prior to launch that Tim Cook stated he wore his AW in the shower all the time, I felt much more confident in getting one for myself.

Third party apps from where?

·
Registered
17,885 Posts
I thought third party apps come from a non Apple app?
Nope. Apple only makes a few core apps. Other developers make the rest and post them for sale via the App Store.

Anyone can be a developer, too. Get a Mac, download Xcode and the associated tools from Apple, and open a developer account to start working on apps. The account is free until you decide to send in apps for the store.

There isn't an authorized way to "side load" apps onto Apple devices, if that's what you're thinking of, without jailbreaking.

·
Registered
163 Posts

Thanks for the detailed post.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts