GoS proudly presents Aurora, a strictly limited edition watch inspired by the Northern Lights of Lapland. The Northern Lights or Aurora Borealis, named after a Roman goddess, is a natural phenomenon where colorful lights swirl around the sky in a dramatic dance, leaving different patterns and shapes. Sometimes the shapes appear as fold upon fold of luminous draperies that majestically move across the sky. Other times they are like gigantic flaming swords furiously slashing at the heavens.
Aurora’s Damascus steel dial has been tempered to a blue-green color and the flowing colored lines are framed by bright streaks. The white gold dial details and hands match the highlights on the dial.
The damascus steel cases are individually finished in a process Patrik initially developed for Nordic Seasons and Winter Nights. It involves two etching procedures in hot acid and refinishing in between. It is only the visible parts of the case that are exposed to the acid to ensure that the case will have the same water protection as before the treatment.
The hands of the Aurora are made in solid white gold and have the GoS sword shape that once premiered in the Stockholm model. All hands and index rings are hand finished with polished bevels and satinized top. These handmade GoS Nubuck straps are fitted with screwed lugs and are paired with a stainless steel GoS buckle.
Northern Lights during the winter of 2013
Scientists predict a solar peak that will boost the chances of witnessing the Northern Lights during the the winter of 2013. Although seeing Northern Lights can't be guaranteed, this winter will provide the best conditions for seeing the Northern Lights in the next decade. With the second peak now coming at the end of this year, strong sightings will continue during this winter and into the winter of 2014.
GoS recommends the Swedish settlements of Abisko and Björkliden, 190 kilometers north of the Arctic Circle in northern Sweden, as good spots for lights-viewings as both are located within a rain/snow shadow and away from any detracting artificial lights.
Specifications - GoS Aurora
Watch series - Aurora
● Case: Stainless steel and stainless damascus steel 44/45mmx10mm (10ATM)
● Lug width: 22mm
● Glass: Flat sapphire glass with AR coating
● Movement: Swiss manual ETA 6498
● Movement refinement: Refinished and improved to chronometre grade by the swiss company Soprod.
● Movement customization: Bridges made from one piece of solid damascus steel.
● Dial: Damascus steel tempered to a blue/green color
● Index ring/rehaut: Solid white gold, shaped and polished by hand
● Hands: Solid white gold shaped and polished by hand
● Crown: 9mm in finegrained stainless damascus stainless steel, double gasket crown inset
● Case finishing: Stainless damascus steel, high gloss polished with GoS logo engraved on case side.
● Strap: Handcrafted soft nubuck leather, fitted with GoS stainless steel buckle
● Limitation: 5 pieces
● Individually crafted box in svepask technique of birch wood
● Colored with natural pigments mixed in linseed oil
● Covered with high grade natural wax and polished to a deep finish
● Two year guarantee
Aurora No1 of 5 is available for purchase while the remaining pieces will be produced during the first half of 2014.
Main Aurora photo by photographer Björn Dahlgren - More information at www.goswatches.com