WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Something not seen too often:
A Tochmekh Type 2 !!!

The dial was damaged by moisture, but remains of Gostrest Tochmekh signature are still seen!

The screw down caseback has Tochmekh logo:

And here - the unfinished hampden Viking movement that came to Moscow in 1930, completed and sold by Tochmekh. notice the groove for the precision regulator on the balance cock...

That's... damn scarce :)

And last picture of a type 2 next to type 1 - slightly smaller :)

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
And a Type 3 finally!
Needs some parst, but not bad at all :)

The movement is a Hampden 5/0size model, a scarcer version with Russian marings on the plates.
The double serial numbers (1GChZ and Hampden's) I found on the bottom side of the plates support my theory, that Russians only made these until they used all the parts that arrived from USA...
I also believe there were not as few of them as it seems looki ng on the small amounts found now - I just think many (like this one) were just dumped in watchmakers' trash bins, as with a broken sleeve they were almost irrepairable (some makers managed to install a setting button, though).

Now I just need a Type 4 to have all of them :)

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Wszystkiego najlepsziego!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thank you for sharing, pmwas. They are both rare and stunning pieces, testimony of the dawn of soviet-era watchmaking.
Type_3-a.jpg
According to the old 1GChZ catalogue published in 1932, your Type 3 is actually a Type 3-a because of its 7-jewel movement. It was advertised as a 12''' (french lignes) so it should be a 4/0 or a tad over 27 mm. Have you measured it already?
// ocram

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Oh, the sizes. Some of the Type 3 watches made with American made movements are in fact marked 5-0, so it is nominally a 5-0s movement, but I agree, it might be close to 4-0. It definitely is smaller than 3-0 and bigger than 6-0, I don't have others to compare...
Picture from Mark Gordon's site:

Oh, and BTW ,I've disassembled the type 2 and reoiled the movement. Runs great! And (oddly) I've not found any traces of rust inside...
The dial - well - nothing can be done here. The dirt will come off with the paint :(
And the crown and stem - I've locked the sleeve in the pndant (striped thread, but I managed), modified the non original crown to fit and corrected the length of the stem's thread. I've tried to fit a new crown in, but it's not easy to find a matching crown for this case...

Won't get any better, but it already a bit better than before...

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yes, well - it's very good it's unfinished, otherwise it would be suspicious ;). From what I've seen - the 12 and 16 size movements seen in Russian made watches seem to have S/Ns around 36x.xxx and later. Looks like they were gradually finishing and selling the watches, and many dating much earlier had not been sold or even released before bankrupcy. However, a completely finished hampden movements are always suspicious, as it's very easy to swap the movement, if only there is the thread in the pendant. Mark has this i his collection:

A 33x,xxx movement, but it has lower jewel count than it should, plain plates finish (I'm not sure what it exactly should be, though) and no traces of black paint (or can I see smal amounts still remaining???), so it might actually be original. Or a good forgery including certain refinishing to mae it look credible, which I doubt myself...

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Now here's something that surely would win any 'ugliest watch in the worls' contest :) .
It is a Type 3 (believe me or not) that a friend once bought and had no idea what to do with it.
Inside there is a rusty No 400 Hampden's stock movement...

Initially the dial was much darker, almost entirely balck, with much paint misssing as seen. I planned to remove all the paint and have the dial refinished professionally, but when I took some solvent to remove the pian - it turned much nicer. Looks like it's damn good paint, resistant to nail lacquer remover, and the blue circle around the dial actually turned blue ;) Also the numbers became visible. OK - i could see there used to be numbers before, but now they have become much more visible. Anyway - here it is :)

It's... terrible, I know, but I just don;t want to destroy it. Someone tried really hard to make this watch show time again and even though you can hardly call that good job... it's an antique not-so-good job ;).
What I did is replaced the new, shiny winding gears I've already installed back with the old rusty ones (looked ridiculous...) and found a well worn open ended strap in my trash bin. I also installed a balance and it works a bit. Not too well , as the mainspring broke during tests and I really don't want to start all over again right now...

A lovely piece of trash. I have to admit - it's cute in a way...

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Comrade pmwas, I quite like it (but then again I like Fiat Polski too; I recently drove one in Warsaw!)! It is (to my eyes) beautiful. Just look at the pictures without judgment Comrades! It has tons of character a shiny new watch will never have. It goes utterly against the consumerist blingy shiny aesthetic promoted by lifestyle magazines! I once did something similar to a franken-dial type 1. The result was so terrribly "distressed" that it was actually interesting. Wear it and see what comments you get!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wszystkiego najlepsziego!!!
This is... unbelievable! In December I would "kill" for a Type 2 or a Type 3, and now I have a Type 2, two Type 3s and furthermore...
Two Type 4s are incoming! They have just one original dial, but I'll try to rescue both nonetheless.
Next week should be exciting for me - one surely will arrive till tuesday (!)
I'll post pictures of a Type 4 as soon as I have some, I don't think many of them had been shown here before b-)

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's the first type 4 I have:

It has been fitted with a Dueber Hampden dial. It's the style Tochmekh used for T4, only somewhat older. The original dial...

...was irrepairable (in fact printed foil glued to the original dial plate).

A 8-0 Hampden movement, Mary Jane grade.
Nice piece...

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The second Type 4 has arrived from Ukraine!
It was a bit of a mess, but I've managed to put it back together, using some original Hampden spares...

If you look closely, there are remains of the tochmekh signature.
Sadly, like most of them, the dial has faded...

This watch must have broken shortly after being made - there is almost no wear at all...

And the movement. Telling by the brass settings - this movement must have been almost entirely finished in USA. That also explains the early Tochmekh signature - the Russians cased what was already done first, obviously.

The winding gears are replaced, but with identical to the original ones.
Nice piece, despite the fading of the dial paint...

And the entire family of early GosChasZavods...
Not impressive look, but historically interesting. A bit like archeology - one has to believe this pile of rubble is interesting and worth keeping ;)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Paul,
I have to disagree! That last photo is very impressive.
In my opinion there is not only horological but also historical significance in that photo. Your watches were a marriage of parts from two countries that would 30 years later bring the world to the brink of nuclear disaster.
I hope you will document the watches and their history.
Very well done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts