WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have stopped at this little antique store a few towns over several times, but they have never been open. I am usually in a bit of a hurry, so I dont call the "If were not here call" number. So today, I call the number on the door, and wait for the lady to come into town to open up.

Lots of handtools, typical hammers, squares, saws, etc. I ask what she has for watch tools and watches. Wow. She starts pulling out drawer after drawer of watches and tools.

The first watch I pulled out was a Wittnauer 2000. Never had one, so I laid it aside. Then a cool Benrus ladies black face that has radium looking hands. Then a neat Bulova from the 40s that has a blue crystal in it. Not a hint of blue, but BLUE. Again, it went off to the side.
Then I pull out a LeCoultre Futurematic, missing a second hand... Never being one that had a JLC, or even seen one, I laid it aside, knowing at least that it was a good watch.
I also pulled a nice hand pulling tool, as I didnt have one yet.
So I take it all up to the lady and ask how much. 50 she says. I say 40, and she says ok.

So, when I get home, I start messing with them a little more. The Bulova runs and keeps good time. I will give it a cleaning one of these winter days.
The Benrus has a broken staff or jewel. Wobbly balance anyway... Probably wont fix it, but it will look cool with my other Benruses.
The Wittnauer would not run at first, but is now keeping pretty good time. Too bad its missing a few of the original band links, as its waay too small for my wrist.
The JLC needs a hand and a cleaning. I peeked inside, and the balance looks good, and the rest looks pretty good as well.

So, between the Witt and the JLC, which should I keep and which should go on Ebay?? The Witt is just not my stule of watch, and from what I have read, the JLC is expensive to repair...
RipT (who really wants to take the lady up on the "what will you give me for all the watch stuff" offer)

·
Registered
248 Posts
JLC might be expensive to repair if you're missing parts, but could be worth a pretty penny.. Could you post pictures? :)

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
Is it a Jaeger LeCoultre or just LeCoultre? I'd like to see a picture of it.

.... and yes, they can be expensive to repair, especially if done at the factory.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It is just marked LeCoultre on the face.

I will try to get some pics done up sometime soon. I need to take some more Ebay pics anyway, and my little mobile studio is not set up right now.

I forgot, I also got a book there by George Townsend. Its "Almost Everything You Wanted to Know about American Watches and Didnt Know Who to Ask". Its a nice little yellow covered book with some nice illustrations and family trees of the watch companies in the US. It has lots of line drawings of pocket watch movements in it and ID info.
DM

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
My advice: keep what you like!

The Townsend book is a 1971 private printing by Townsend. The inside cover shows mine to be 136 (with the author's autograph). It is a wonderful compilation of information on American pocket watches prior to 1900 and seems to have been used as the source of data for a number of current websites... but the book has more info than can be found online. There are a number of copies available online as no one ever seems to throw this one out :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Is it a Jaeger LeCoultre or just LeCoultre? I'd like to see a picture of it.

.... and yes, they can be expensive to repair, especially if done at the factory.
Yeah, the geared wheel should go real nice with the sundial. Maybe you could create a "lazy susan" for mounting and calibrating the sundial...:roll:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, if all works right, here is a pic of the LeCoultre. I am going to take it to my repair lady and see what she says. I have an Omega to take in to her anyway..

I have been wearing the Witt almost everyday since I got it, and it runs great. I threw it on the 'Bay tonite though, as its just not my cup of tea. I prefer my elegant watches more I guess.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I sold the Witt, and paid for everything I bought with the proceeds of that.

Tonite I looked at the JLC a little bit more. The end of the hack that contacts the balance wheel is broken. I have the piece though, it was laying inside the rotor area. After I took that out, I gave the jewels a dot or two of oil for a "lets see what happens" moment, and to my suprise, it has been keeping good time for the last hour now.
I know, I know, dont mess, but....

We will see if it runs all night. If it does, I will send it to my watch lady to get it cleaned, then wear it for awhile.
Do you think the hack part can be soldered? It broke right at the squarish hole in the center of it.
Also, any idea of a hand? Its going to have to be made I assume?
Thanks.
RipT

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats the plan... a dot of oil or two on the jewels shouldnt hurt to see if its gonna run... If it didnt run, I would sell it for parts. Now that I know that it is not broken, I will send it to my watch lady.
RipT

1 - 13 of 13 Posts