WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got my first Orient watch yesterday and it's what I consider to be my first quality automatic watch. I had a Kenneth Cole skeleton automatic watch a number of years back, but it was a cheap one. It did the job though and wasn't a bad piece by any stretch, but I think I left it overseas while visiting some relatives, haha.

Anyway, back to the watch I got yesterday. As the title says, I got a blue Orient Ray yesterday. I ordered it from Amazon and Amazon was the seller. I didn't see a stamp on the papers or anything like that, but all the appropriate documentation appeared to be there. I'm still fairly new to the whole watch scene so I'm still learning about that stuff.

I won't make this a long review since many others have posted their thoughts on this watch. This will be more about my experience as a new watch fanatic.

Pictures never come close to conveying the detail that these watches have, so I was immediately impressed by the watch's appearance when I opened the box. The watch was heavier than expected, but that's not a bad thing in this case. It's the kind of weight that communicates quality, if you ask me.
20150714_220029510_iOS.jpg

I immediately went to re-size the bracelet, which was my first time doing so, and it was easier than I thought it'd be. I used a tool kit I ordered from Amazon: Amazon.com: SE JT6218 Watch Band Link Remover, 5-Piece: Watches

I then wanted to try the NATO strap I ordered from Ague Trading Co. and it came out a LOT better than I thought it would in terms of appearance. I wasn't concerned about the quality of the strap, but for some reason I wished that I had ordered a plain navy blue strap instead. I'm glad I didn't though, because I think the red/white/blue looks really good! Pics:
20150714_220732919_iOS.jpg
20150714_220754832_iOS.jpg
20150714_220858693_iOS.jpg
The strap is very comfortable and easy to adjust. I picked it up primarily because I didn't want to expose the metal bracelet to too much salt water during the trip to Hawaii that is planned later this year. However, it ended up looking so good that I'll probably end up wearing it with the NATO strap more than the metal bracelet! I actually decided to put the metal bracelet back on though just for some practice on swapping it back and that's where things got a bit frustrating.

The metal bracelet has what I'd describe as brackets that give the bracelet an appearance of sitting flush with the watch body itself. The first one wasn't so bad to get on, but the second one is more difficult since the first one being attached limits the range of movement you have with the bracelet. Perhaps I don't know of a proper technique for doing this more easily, but man I fidgeted with the little pry bar tool and the spring lugs for a while trying to get the dang things in! I eventually succeeded though, but I can't say I'm looking forward to putting the bracelet back on after having the NATO strap on it, haha. Any tips there would be appreciated!

Overall, I'm beyond thrilled with this watch especially with the NATO strap on it and I'm looking forward to learning more about watches in general with this new hobby of mine.

Cheers! :-!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Congratulations! It looks phenomenal! Wear it in good health!
I almost got a Blue Ray, but I figured Black was a more sensible choice for my first real watch. It's a great piece for the money though! Love the NATO on it!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Reactions: norsairius

·
Banned
844 Posts
It's funny but when I was reading your original post, the pic with the NATO strap was only partially displayed and I was thinking I didn't care for it until I scrolled down more and the second hand was visible. That tiny bit of red on the watch tied it all together for me and it looks great. I have a Ray and it is a wonderful watch. Congrats on your purchase.

·
Registered
14,905 Posts
Stunning blue on that dial and perfect watch to buy as a first good quality affordable auto, well chosen and congrats.
Looks fantastic on the nato, my makos blow my Seiko 007 away for accuracy, they are such accurate, reliable and easy to fire up watches, 3 shakes and they are ready to go, not to mention they really do punch above their weight in the looks department, the finishing on these orients is top shelf for the price paid.
Im sure there will be lots more orients in your watch box in the future,
cheers

·
Registered
14,905 Posts
Forgot to Add, give the bracelet links/pins a good oil with some very light oil like sewing machine oil, or fishing reel oil, you dont want to use vegetable based oil thats thick, just find something thin.
Give every moving link in the bracelet a drop and clasp etc, work it in and wipe off, you might have to wipe it a few times to clean it up but this will get rid of heaps of the noise in it,
cheers

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Really nice, enjoy it! I think you can safely edit your thread title from saying "likely not the last" to "DEFINITLEY not the last". Orient makes some damn good stuff, at prices that allow many of us to enjoy that good stuff.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I then wanted to try the NATO strap I ordered from Ague Trading Co. and it came out a LOT better than I thought it would in terms of appearance. I wasn't concerned about the quality of the strap, but for some reason I wished that I had ordered a plain navy blue strap instead. I'm glad I didn't though, because I think the red/white/blue looks really good! Pics:
View attachment 4656762
View attachment 4656714
View attachment 4656722
Congratulations. That is an excellent blue Ray and Nato strap combo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts