WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Got my first Orient! It's a ray in blue!!

4K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Rocat 
#1 ·
I received my first Orient Ray in Blue yesterday. I ordered the one with rubber strap after reading not so positive things about the metal bracelet.
Just after wearing it as it is, I hated the look of the rubber strap and quickly switched it with another 22mm spare strap that I have! The combination looks okay, it at least looks better than the original strap IMO!
I love how the watch feels and performs, my biggest gripe is that I find it to be a little small on my wrist. I don't have huge wrists, my wrist size is about 7".
Now, I'm looking to get some good leather straps for my Ray! Any suggestions are much appreciated!

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Congrats on a great choice! I don`t think it looks to small on your wrist . I have 7.5" wrist and mine looks fine to me and says hi to yours. No problem with the stainless steel bracelet either.

Attachments

Reactions: Cobia
#6 ·
Hi mate lovely watch, looks a perfect size on you but if you want bigger grab the mako XL aswell, stunning watch, very different to the ray/mako, its stunning in blue, the bracelets not to bad, ive had it on for months and its performing fine, one orients never enough and for these sort of prices we can have more than one :)
cheers

#11 ·
Congrats! I love my Blue Ray - the bracelet is actually ok for the price. Way better than the jubilee that came with my SKX009 for example. It does wear small as you found out but it looks alright on a reddish brown strap - makes it look a tiny bit bigger.

Sent from my [redacted] using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Hi folks! I just have a quick question. I've been testing out the watch since a couple of days now and each day after wearing it for 6-8 hours on my wrist, the watch stops after 12 hours of idle time! I thought that the power reserve is about 40 hours on this one, is this normal? Did I receive a defective piece? Please comment. Thanks!

#13 ·
I ordered the one with rubber strap after reading not so positive things about the metal bracelet.
I recently got a Blue Ray as my first Orient (well, first Orient wristwatch) and one of the things that struck me is the high quality of the bracelet - very chunky solid links with nice polished lines on the centre links, and Orient-branded clasp with 'stop-lever' (I don't know what its real name is!). Really surprising to see on a watch that cost me around £100 new. The only downside is that it has hollow end-links, but that's not at all surprising at this price point.

Perhaps Rays in the past came with sub-standard bracelets?

#14 ·
I'm also celebrating the arrival of my new blue Ray. When I started to look for another diver, I found these forums very helpful in my decision making so I want to share my first impressions in the hope it'll help someone else. (By the way, the other diver is an Orange Monster).

I had to decide between blue and black on the Ray and I'm glad I chose the blue. Indoors it looks black, but get it outside or under bright lights and the deep blue color takes over. I was worried that it might look sort of cheesy (you know, like a cheap fashion watch) but nothing could be further from the truth. In my opinion, the rich color is just right .... very tasteful. Other users have been split over the issue of the second crown and stem for the date pusher and it is a bit quirky. For me, it adds a little bit more visual interest so I sort of like it.

In fit and feel it wears much smaller and lighter than the Seiko (which I find a bit heavy but still love). It has far less of a "tool" appearance and looks a bit more "formal" then the Seiko. With the right strap (I've ordered a Hirsch Liberty) it would be fine under a dress shirt. I bought it with the OEM Orient rubber strap and while I'd be happier without the sharks swimming on the band, I have to say it is pretty comfortable. I'm not sure the Seiko would even fit under a long sleeved dress shirt with buttoned cuffs.

The lume charges very quickly in sunlight and remains visible for quite a while. I started to compare it (in a very un-scientific side to side comparison) to the Seiko but I'm ashamed to say I fell asleep long before either watch faded significantly. On a purely subjective note, without my glasses on, I do find the Orient a bit easier to read at a glance both in daylight and under lume.

I can't speak to long term accuracy or longevity at this point although I can say that I've had the Seiko for a while and it has shown itself to be incredibly accurate. When I'm not wearing it lives on a winder and I haven't had to reset it yet. Hope the Orient compares favorably.

Anyway, I'm really happy with both watches. For anyone considering either, all I can say is since they're both affordable, I wound up with both! They each have very distinctive characteristics and are different enough from each other to merit both being in a collection. Now I know that there are far more expensive divers out there but even if I could afford them, I'm really happy with what I've got. I'm not a diver and have no need for the enhanced capabilities of more expensive diving watches. It is nice to know, though, that I don't have to take it off to wash the car or aggravate myself if I'm thrown into a pool or fall out of a rowboat. By the way, I've not attached pictures 'cause it's absolutely stock out of the box and you all know what that looks like.

#15 ·
I just received my first Orient today as well. The Blue Ray. I personally love the size of it, but I have noticed I like the smaller cases. I'm testing the power reserve and the accuracy over the net couple of days. I've had a Seiko SKX-781 since 2007 and that watch is spot on accurate. It does not get worn much anymore but I dusted it off and ran a power reserve test on it the other day and it ran for 45 hours. Not to bad.

I will see what the Ray can do. And yes, the lume is very good and charges in a matter of seconds. It's already on a black Nato until I put on my Hirsch Liberty.
Watch Analog watch Wrist Cobalt blue Watch accessory

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.