WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gentleman, im happy to report that after a 15 year search for the right watch @ the right price i acquired 1of 2 grail watches yesterday. A 1973 Pulsar LED. This watch was a big deal in 73 with a retail of $390 or the same as a steel submariner. Additionally it's also a James bond watch appearing with Roger Moor in Live & let die in 73 & the 1st mass production LED watch:)

It's complete with the built in magnet to adjust the watch "no box / papers", with very minor wear. This is 1 of 3 watches that started me down the watch road were on. As a child I tried it on, wanted it but couldn't afford it. Downside is since then I've only seen it in pictures & my hands have grown so I can't even get it on! Lol.. :( Back to searching for extra bracelet links:)

Hand Body jewelry Sleeve Finger Sunglasses
Watch Hand Wood Gesture Finger
Watch Car alarm Hand Finger Communication Device

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Gentleman, im happy to report that after a 15 year search for the right watch @ the right price i acquired 1of 2 grail watches yesterday. A 1973 Pulsar LED. This watch was a big in 73 with a retail of $390 or the same as a steel submariner. Additionally it's also a James bond watch appearing with Roger Moor in Live & let die in 73.

It's complete with the built in magnet to adjust the watch "no box / papers", with very minor wear. This is 1 of 3 watches that started me down the watch road were on. As a child I tried it on, wanted it but couldn't afford it. Downside is since then I've only seen it in pictures & my hand has grown since so I can't even get it on! :( Back to reaching for extra bracelet links:)

View attachment 16710092 View attachment 16710082 View attachment 16710085
My grandfather had one of these in the 80s and I've always thought LED watches were sort of cool. I thought about picking one up a couple of years ago and quickly found out that they are apparently collectable since the prices were way higher than I would pay. 20 years ago they were lucky to make it to a garage sale instead of the trash. Timing is everything. I wonder if Jimmy McGill wearing one in "Better Call Saul" has something to do with it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Stunning. Looks nicer than I remembered!

I also remember, however, getting into a long philosophical debate at a party once, must have been sometime in the '80s about these very Pulsars because you have to press a button to see the time...

"Time is for everyone!" someone announced, declaring that you should just be able to look at a watch-wearer's wrist to see the time without asking, and we were off to the races. (Non-traditional intoxicants played a role in the two-hour debate that ensued, I can assure you.)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My grandfather had one of these in the 80s and I've always thought LED watches were sort of cool. I thought about picking one up a couple of years ago and quickly found out that they are apparently collectable since the prices were way higher than I would pay. 20 years ago they were lucky to make it to a garage sale instead of the trash. Timing is everything. I wonder if Jimmy McGill wearing one in "Better Call Saul" has something to do with it.
Maybe but this is a Bond watch afterall:)
The general consensus is that this is best looking LED watch :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I sold a broken gold plated one for $450 a few months ago! My research showed that it's possible to buy replacement modules for some models.
With the naked eye the display on this watch looks like it's made up small dots very much unlike solid lines as appears in the above pics. I just couldn't get the dots to show in the pics. Not sure if the compatible modules have the same type of display.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Cool I didn't know that. The prices on all 70s LED watches I've seen for sale have been far too rich for my blood.
Here is a little something to start you in LCD watches:) Perfect watch to get your feet wet!
Theres a local guy selling this Texas Instruments Star Wars watch. Has historical significance & claims it just needs a battery. Sellers are asking as much as 750 for these. He's asking 30 down from 100 from a year ago! Let me know I'll connect you with him?
Rectangle Font Clock Tints and shades Automotive tire
Wood Font Musical instrument Metal Jewellery

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
o_Oo_O
I didn't expect this! After all these years when it rains, it pours! The seller of the P2
contacted me last night & said he has 2 more watches he wants to sell & would I be interested. He said ones a Tiffany & the other German! I popped over this am & this is what I saw! The other is a 80s Braun LED. The Braun was the one that didn't work so I picked this up. It's a 1 owner watch. He said he went with his mother to the Tiffany store & bought it! It's in really good condition and works perfectly. Dosent fit me either but it was a deal I couldn't pass up. o_O
Wood Gesture Finger Thumb Nail

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Finger Thumb Nail

1 - 20 of 29 Posts