WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Got my Hamilton Khaki Field as my daily wear. 80 hours PR is a nice touch.

6K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  307 
#1 ·

See less See more
#10 ·
Yup :) Having mostly manual winds I can just rotate any one of them and wind if needed. If I don't feel like winding any, I wear my gshock lol.

The 80hr reserve is an awesome feature. Super reasonable price too! I have this watch on my short list.
Yup! I got mine from Gnomon as there's no dealer in Australia for Hamilton. 3 business days and arrived on my door step. Tested it in my timegrapher and it just recorded a -3 to -1s/d full wind at 270 amplitude. I think if this winds down it will almost become +-0 lol.

Nice dial on that one. I also have a black dial Mechanical that I use as my daily.
BTW..... How do you like the leather nato? I have mine on a canvas Barton but was thinking about buying a leather nato.
I wanted the black dial, but eventually decided on the white one as I do strap reviews in my blog. Easier to accentuate the strap that way.
The OEM leather NATO feels a bit flimsy, but usable. I don't know if leather NATOs in general are like this as I have yet to try one. They're insanely long as well with no way to fold like your normal NATO. So if you're at the final strap hole, the strap ends will be exposed severely.

I wish I had got the Field rather than my Pilot. I like the larger size more than the Pilot.
View attachment 15413755
Your case shape is more classic though. Also can still get one down the line :)

Great choice, congrats and enjoy it.
Thanks!

I must be the only one who dislikes this. Slowing the movement from 4 to 3 Hz (part of the increase in PR) gives Hamiltons the same less-smooth seconds-hand sweep as my cheaper Seikos and Orients.
Seems fair enough. Is there a mathematical equation somewhere how much does increasing or decreasing frequency affect PR? I supposed the H-50 also have a longer hairspring? Haven't read much into it yet.

I just picked one up too. Have been eyeing it for a while now. It is a really nice piece.
Same colour?

#3 ·
The 80hr reserve is an awesome feature. Super reasonable price too! I have this watch on my short list.

#4 ·
Nice dial on that one. I also have a black dial Mechanical that I use as my daily.
BTW..... How do you like the leather nato? I have mine on a canvas Barton but was thinking about buying a leather nato.

#11 · (Edited)
Beautiful capture!

I have a black dial and agree that the 80hr power reserve is useful feature for rotating a quiver of watches, but DAMN, your photos make me wish I went with white.

@gyrotourbillon007 Have you ever had that stab of dial-color regret with this watch?

Reactions: heb
#13 ·
@gyrotourbillon007 Have you ever had that stab of dial-color regret with this watch?
Nope - It's just a watch that looks nice. Though a part of me still wants to see the PVD in real life lol. Probably weird owning two :))))

I used to own this watch and I regret selling it now that I see it on that awesome nato!
I think the leather NATO version only came out last year from what I've seen in some articles. At the same time with the upgraded movement.

#15 ·
I'm one in the minority who don't like the longer power reserve. Reason is because I like to let my watches wind down all the way, for no good logical reason. It's just what I want. With 80 hours of PR, it's hard for an aging dude like me to remember when I wound it last. So there were days I'd put it on, and I'd be at Home Depot or something and look down and it's dead, because I hadn't wound it so long. With the older ETA movement, daily winding was more habit-forming, so my watch never died on me. But I adjusted to the new H movement, because white dials are my favorite, and I had to have this one. Now I just give it like 15 to 20 cranks per day, and maybe once a month I crank it up all the way to the 80 hours just to keep things in running order.

I love the white one; I think it's my favorite 38mm KFM. I also picked up this strap for it (the Hamilton beige one) and it looks just as good on the white dial KFM as the stock green one does. And while I generally loathe all NATO straps with the infernal lambent flames of hell, the Hamilton ones are perfect: they hug the wrist but don't strangle it, no dorky loops hanging off the sides, comfortable, don't cut into the skin like the cheap Chinese knock-offs that are out there, the signed buckle is a nice touch, the leather tip is nice, and my favorite thing: I love that leather runway down the middle for the grommets. So I don't mind spending $55 for a Hamilton NATO strap for my KFMs because they look great, feel comfortable, and are subtle in appearance. I highly recommend pairing the white dial KFM with the beige strap.

My son has the new blacked out PVD Vietnam-looking one, and it's pretty cool, but I thought the PVD coating on it wasn't as buffed as I expected; there's almost some shine to it. Kind of strange. But he loves it, and it does look like something from the 60s.

#27 · (Edited)
I'm one in the minority who don't like the longer power reserve. Reason is because I like to let my watches wind down all the way, for no good logical reason. It's just what I want. With 80 hours of PR, it's hard for an aging dude like me to remember when I wound it last. So there were days I'd put it on, and I'd be at Home Depot or something and look down and it's dead, because I hadn't wound it so long. With the older ETA movement, daily winding was more habit-forming, so my watch never died on me. But I adjusted to the new H movement, because white dials are my favorite, and I had to have this one. Now I just give it like 15 to 20 cranks per day, and maybe once a month I crank it up all the way to the 80 hours just to keep things in running order.
This is why I do not see the extended PR on a hand wind to be that much of a benefit. On an auto yes.

Having said that its not a deal breaker and I really do like the white dial version of this watch...so tempted but I have enough watches :rolleyes:

Reactions: Dan T.
#19 ·
Congrats. With the power reserve and the fact that it's a strap monster, it truly is a great daily wearer.
If I were forced to trim the collection to just one watch, this would be it.
I'm wearing mine right now.

#21 ·
Just want to share what the Hamilton looks like in different straps lol.
Thanks for sharing. Probably my favourite of the nine would be the third one in the middle row for this model.

One question, the tweed(?) strap shown as the third in the top row, could you tell me the strap's brand. The reason I am asking is that I am trying to find just the right tweed strap, or something similar to tweed, for my Intra-Matic auto. Thanks.

#23 ·
I have the black and now the white; just got it last week and am currently wearing it. The white gives a totally different affect vs. the black dial version. It still has a military vibe, but more like a watch issued to military medical corps members. After 7 days of continuous wear, it has NO deviation. Not great for a just out of the box watch because it won't be too long before it strays into the "-". I purchased the black dial version two years ago directly from Hamilton, just after it was released. Ironically, it has the ETA movement with a 48 hr +/- 5% power reserve and 28.8k beat rate. They must have used up their last inventory of same with the first production models. I wear the black dial model on a Forstner bracelet; the kind NASA made the early astronauts use with their Speedmasters. That combination, in a word, ludicrous. Two different metal finishes and the bracelet is only 15.5 mm wide. It looks like a combo a non-watch person would wear, real low brow if you will. But that's the look I was going for; nailed it.

#26 ·
It looks like a combo a non-watch person would wear, real low brow if you will. But that's the look I was going for; nailed it.
Will the bracelet fit this hamilton?

Do you think you're able to get the full 80 hours PR? I'm tempted to rebuy this watch, but feeling unsure still.
I think I do. I can leave it on friday night and still be running by monday lunch time. Accuracy for it not being wounded is also astonishing. Everything is marked as worn, but I can pretty much tell which one I didn't wind for one day and which ones more than that.

Anything that's losing time to +0.5 is full wound to 24 hours. Anything 0.5 to +1.5 is one day to two and anything more than that is more than 2 days lol.

I have the black and love the flexibility as far as looks. May need to add the white dial. Nice choice!
You won't be disappointed :)

Reactions: Liuserr
#29 ·
I wound my black one to full wind, set it on a table, and it finally stopped after 87 hours. I also have another hamilton with that movement and had similar results. I assume this has been done and reported repeatedly before on the forum, but there you go...

#30 ·
He guys, noob here. I have bin looking at this watch (actually the black one) and I have a couple of questions. And being new to this forum and not getting the search parameters wright I thought of juist asking them in here. (sorry for cluttering your board.)
1 I have read a couple of people claim they prefer the older movement over the H50. Why is that?
2 how long should a service interval be?
3 on some reviews people say that it has a clean dial. But the thing is the watch face is full of markers. What do they mean with clean dial.
4 it has a 50m water rating and I here people say this means it can just handle a little rain and others claim you can go for a swim (pool) no problem. Which is it.
5 were I to look on the used market what should I look out for (red flags)?
6 And what is a decent price for a 2-8y old watch with few marks (it is a tool watch so I don’t sweat a couple of dinks).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.