WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got hold of the Citizen 800m diver I was eyeing! Love the raised numbers on the bezel! Borrowing this picture from ptolemy 'til I'm able to set up a photo shoot of my own.

The watch is in great condition considering it's almost 20 years old. The only signs of age are a bit of patina on the gold hands and some minor scratches on the crystal. However, I understand that the bezel on this model should turn only when it's pushed down. The bezel on mine turns freely ( a bit too freely actually), so I guess whatever mechanism locks the bezel in place has either been worn down or dislodged. Could anyone advise me as to whether I should have a watch repair man pop the bezel to take a look? Or is it safer keeping it as is? I won't be using this for diving in any case, but it would be nice to get the bezel operating the way it was meant to.

Pics to follow as soon as we get some sunny weather here in Manila. It's been typhoon after typhoon the past two weeks!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! Some quick lamp-lit pics:

Am loving the heft of this watch. Feels real solid for a titanium piece. Will drop by my watch repair guy tomorrow to see if there's anything he can do about the bezel locking. Would appreciate it if anyone could advise me on whether it's wise to have the bezel popped off.

As you can see it's on a Seiko wave strap, will see about getting a Citizen band tomorrow, though I never like the text on the Citizen dive band.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Cool watch!

From what I understood, the locking mechanism for the bezel is part of the case, so once it's worn down you can not replace it. I read this somewhere on this forum, I think.
But this is still a nice watch, even when it doesn't lock any more...

Cheers,
Sebastian

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool watch!

From what I understood, the locking mechanism for the bezel is part of the case, so once it's worn down you can not replace it. I read this somewhere on this forum, I think.
But this is still a nice watch, even when it doesn't lock any more...

Cheers,
Sebastian
I think you're right: http://larrybiggs.net/scwf/index.php?mod=103&action=0&id=1129375358

Don't wanna risk damaging the tiny gold screws as this watch does not seem to have ever been opened except to change the battery. Oh well, looks like the loss of the locking ability is inevitable (unless you don't use the bezel at all). Still a nice watch, and by far the rarest time piece I own.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does the bezel still click when you rotate it?
It clicks very loosely. I'd like to find a way to tighten the bezel action, but don't wanna risk damaging the case. BTW, saw your FS ad for your extra Citizen 800m, and realize I got a real bargain on mine! Even if it's not quite in mint condition. The one you have up for sale looks to be in tip-top shape!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Finally got hold of the Citizen 800m diver I was eyeing! Love the raised numbers on the bezel! Borrowing this picture from ptolemy 'til I'm able to set up a photo shoot of my own.

The watch is in great condition considering it's almost 20 years old. The only signs of age are a bit of patina on the gold hands and some minor scratches on the crystal. However, I understand that the bezel on this model should turn only when it's pushed down. The bezel on mine turns freely ( a bit too freely actually), so I guess whatever mechanism locks the bezel in place has either been worn down or dislodged. Could anyone advise me as to whether I should have a watch repair man pop the bezel to take a look? Or is it safer keeping it as is? I won't be using this for diving in any case, but it would be nice to get the bezel operating the way it was meant to.

Pics to follow as soon as we get some sunny weather here in Manila. It's been typhoon after typhoon the past two weeks!
congratulations again gerry on your new watch, by the way, of all the seikos i have, at least i have 1 citizen, and its this exact same watch, love the 8 o'clock placement of the crown, rarest watch? how bout my 6309 gerry?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Mel! Now why don't you post some pics of your dive beauties? Will probably wait at least a month before the next watch purchase. Every Seiko nut needs a 6309, so I may still grab yours, especially since it's in original condition.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Sensational!!!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^^^Thanks Garrett, it is my understanding that this model is a direct descendant of the 'Zillas. I've had a couple of opportunities to acquire an Eco-zilla, but simply could not get over the strap-to-case attachment which makes it impossible to replace the band if it ever breaks. And anyhow, a massive 'Zilla would probably look downright silly on my puny sub-7-inch wrist!

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
^^^Thanks Garrett, it is my understanding that this model is a direct descendant of the 'Zillas. I've had a couple of opportunities to acquire an Eco-zilla, but simply could not get over the strap-to-case attachment which makes it impossible to replace the band if it ever breaks. And anyhow, a massive 'Zilla would probably look downright silly on my puny sub-7-inch wrist!
Yeah, I hear ya on that one...I was thinking about picking up a set of strap adapters for the Zilla, but I noticed in a few pics that there is an unsightly gap (or at least I found the gap to be unsightly) left when they are being used.

Being that I plan to keep my Zilla pretty much until she dies, I guess I'll just have to source a couple of spare OEM straps to keep around for when the time comes.

Getting back on topic: I can kind of see how your new 800m diver bears resemblance to the Zilla...when was this model made, and what about your specific example?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, I hear ya on that one...I was thinking about picking up a set of strap adapters for the Zilla, but I noticed in a few pics that there is an unsightly gap (or at least I found the gap to be unsightly) left when they are being used.

Being that I plan to keep my Zilla pretty much until she dies, I guess I'll just have to source a couple of spare OEM straps to keep around for when the time comes.

Getting back on topic: I can kind of see how your new 800m diver bears resemblance to the Zilla...when was this model made, and what about your specific example?
I think it was released in the early to mid 1990s. More and much better detailed info here: http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/index.php?mod=103&action=1&id=1187193771

1 - 20 of 22 Posts