WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently received my new Seiko SBDW005 Prospex Landmaster from Higuchi. I can't say enough good about Higuchi, everything was done quickly, efficiently and professionally. I would highly recommend him to anyone considering a high end Seiko purchase.

The LM itself is an interesting watch. I was drawn to it, as I was looking for a unique, rugged GMT piece that would spark the imagination as well as being sensible, enduring and functional.

I liked the idea of a kinetic; no batteries, and able to take a few day's downtime without winding out. I had heard that some of the earlier LM kinetics had some capacitor problems, so I headed towards the 5M65 movement for the reported longevity and durability. I also do not have a titanium watch, so this would also be a new thing for me.

I received the watch from Higuchi the same week I ordered it. I had read an excellent review on another watch forum site of the LM, and was not suprised to find that the dial is a black-red fibre weave affair, which really comes to life in natural sunlight.

It seems to almost shimmer with an irridescence that I find most appealing. This is a well-executed piece, with interesting small details. For example, the GMT hand has an arrow-like point on the small end, like the arrow on a compass dial. Interesting, because if you point the GMT hand at the sun in the northern hemisphere, the opposite end (with the above-mentioend small arrow) is now pointing north. This can be used with the compass-graduated bezel as a rough directional indicator, complete with directional gradations (N, NW, numerical degrees).

The bezel itself is a wonder, understated yet rich in a way that a two-colour palette of stately grey and black can be. When you turn the bezel, it moves smoothly, as though it were mounted on thick, absorbent silocone, but it does not move easily (i.e. accidentally).

The hands are easy to read at a glance, the dial carries a date, and the rear caseback has the LM crest; appropriately as an explorer's watch, a globe with longitudinal lines and a very cool braided rope motif around the globe. It harkens to the old 1960's era National Geographic logos, with all of the sense of adventure discovery that era seemed to evoke in me as a young boy. It even has the spaces for the wearer's name, blood type and country of origin to be engraved, which indicates to me that the designers at Seiko intend for the wearer to be bonded to his explorer's watch 'till death do them part.

The crown is screw in and the watch is rated waterproof to 200 meters.

The titanium is what I've seen in other watches; grey, brushed and muted. Its much lighter than I'm used to, which is very comfortable but which oddly lacks the authority and heft of a steel watch.

The band is titanium with a very nicely executed diver's extention on the clasp.

The extention is operated by depressing a metal stop and allowing the clasp to ride on the extention, with the ability to lock on any of the rungs of the extention. I've found this comes in handy even for on-the-spot small adjsutments for daily comfort, i.e. after exercise, the, or my wrist swells a bit, and I can use this feature to loosen off the band just a bit for comfort. The clasp also has a safety lock.

Overall, this is a light, legible and very functional watch, with the accuracy you'd expect in a high end Seiko. I'm happy with it to date and would recommend it to anyone who is in the market for a very functional GMT timepiece for daily or expedition use.

Thanks,

S18

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I too had an idea about quartz, owning several fine Swiss mechanicals. But, since I appreciate the precision and high mechanical skill that results in a nice mechanical, why would I not appreciate the same effort in watchmaking even though the piece is quartz? I'll go where quality meets design in a way that enages my senses, and in this case, it was a quartz Seiko with an interesting explorer's lineage.

Here is the dial in sunlight:
Copy (2) of dial 2 (2).jpg

A bit of the detail of the bezel edge
Copy of bezel edge.JPG

On the wrist
Copy of on wrist.JPG

Clasp with diver's extention
Copy of clasp.JPG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts