WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I am hunting Submariner ND for a while now. I want my name on the card - hence want to buy it from AD - which is close to impossible right now.

Recently, I've came across Girard Peregaux Laureato 42mm (blue dial) and really like it. I understand that it is much more available than Rolex I am looking for and much cheaper.

I understand that these two models are quite different but both of them appeal to me. As I cannot afford both of them at the moment, I would appreciate if you can share your thoughts on pros and cons of each one.

Thanks GP.jpg ND.jpg

·
Registered
496 Posts
The GP is High Horology and finished to standards much above the Rolex. The quality of the GP is significant. Yes its a "Me Too" mimic of the original Royal oak but so is the Nautilus(admittedly a Genta design). GP has more history than Rolex. GP is a higher end brand without the same level of marketing and supply/demand games as a company like Rolex.

The Rolex can take more abuse and has more recognition. More of a work/tool/dive watch.

The Laureato is more sophisticated. Would not take diving but would wear with everything else from jeans to formal.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I am hunting Submariner ND for a while now.

Recently, I've came across Girard Peregaux Laureato 42mm (blue dial) and really like it.

As I cannot afford both of them at the moment, I would appreciate if you can share your thoughts on pros and cons of each one.
I own the 41mm Laureato, a LE which relaunched the line that now includes the 42mm version you have pictured, and also a Submariner Date. I'm not willing to list a whole bunch of differences, and pros and cons, but I am willing to answer specific questions if you want to ask them.

·
Registered
12,104 Posts
Rolex Submariner 114060, because, no date!

I still would recommend the Rolex Submariner, and not just because I own one.

The G.P. is nice and I hold it in higher regard in terms of brand (even though the 'average' person on the street would not know G.P.).

I assume that the G.P. would not hold its value anywhere near as well as the Submariner.

In fact, Submariners pre-owned are selling for more than brand new ones, due to the unavailability.

Reactions: Friday

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Rolex Submariner 114060, because, no date!

I still would recommend the Rolex Submariner, and not just because I own one.

The G.P. is nice and I hold it in higher regard in terms of brand (even though the 'average' person on the street would not know G.P.).

I assume that the G.P. would not hold its value anywhere near as well as the Submariner.

In fact, Submariners pre-owned are selling for more than brand new ones, due to the unavailability.
Unless you intend to sell it (while the market is a it is nowadays), why does this influence your decision?

If there are any typos in this post, I blame Tapatalk!

·
Registered
12,104 Posts
Unless you intend to sell it (while the market is a it is nowadays), why does this influence your decision?

If there are any typos in this post, I blame Tapatalk!
Resale value never used to come into calculations for me (wish it did).

I have purchased and sold dozens of Watches in the last 10 years (the majority being in the last couple of years).

When I purchase Watches, I do INTEND to keep them, but then end up falling out of love for them and want to fund new Watches afterwards.

It would be nice if I had not lost so much money over the years on the many Watches that I ended up selling.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts

I have purchased and sold dozens of Watches in the last 10 years (the majority being in the last couple of years).

When I purchase Watches, I do INTEND to keep them, but then end up falling out of love for them and want to fund new Watches afterwards.

It would be nice if I had not lost so much money over the years on the many Watches that I ended up selling.
Perhaps if you bough the watches that you unconditionally loved versus those which also have potentially good resale value, you'd fall out of love with fewer.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Perhaps if you bough the watches that you unconditionally loved versus those which also have potentially good resale value, you'd fall out of love with fewer.
Perhaps it's a vicious cycle...but watches arent human and don't need unconditional love. It's ok to buy and sell for enjoyment (personally have never sold a watch btw).

·
Registered
1,055 Posts

Do you think it was inevitable, or could the journey have been less costly if you planned differently with purchases?

·
Registered
12,104 Posts
Do you think it was inevitable, or could the journey have been less costly if you planned differently with purchases?
I think that it is a little bit of both.

I did follow my heart too often and would just spur of the moment make the purchases, and then after a few weeks or months, decide that I loved them a lot less and then started wearing them less.

However, I also feel that, without the experience that I now have with so many Watches, I might not now know what I do know.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
3Hz beat rate is noticeable to me and something I couldn’t look past when handling one. Otherwise I like the GP and would seriously consider SS bracelet and buying the OEM leather bracelet.

Comparing the two though, it’s a personal preference, as stated they are so very different.

GP can be bought new at a significant discount and if you buy well, you won’t lose a lot if a Sub comes up and your heart pulls you that way.

·
Registered
496 Posts
3Hz beat rate is noticeable to me and something I couldn’t look past when handling one. Otherwise I like the GP and would seriously consider SS bracelet and buying the OEM leather bracelet.

Comparing the two though, it’s a personal preference, as stated they are so very different.

GP can be bought new at a significant discount and if you buy well, you won’t lose a lot if a Sub comes up and your heart pulls you that way.
Nobody minded when AP Royal Oak had 3Hz beat rate.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Nobody minded when AP Royal Oak had 3Hz beat rate.
It’s 2019 R_rated.

Seems like a cop out especially compared to their other in house accomplishments.
3 Hz. Longer service intervals maybe (can’t see if they promote this however) but at the very least I’d expect a decent (Edit: increased) PR, which it hasn’t.

·
Registered
180 Posts
There was a similar thread on here about the beat rate of the Laureato, it's definitely 4hz.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Only just looked at another one in August and it had a characteristic lower beat rate. Unmistakable. Apart form that, I think I really like it, just didn’t see a 37mm (42 too big for me).

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I think that it is a little bit of both.

I did follow my heart too often and would just spur of the moment make the purchases, and then after a few weeks or months, decide that I loved them a lot less and then started wearing them less.

However, I also feel that, without the experience that I now have with so many Watches, I might not now know what I do know.
I'm in the same boat. Been through close to a hundred watches. I always bought with the intent to keep but would fall out of love with them. I thought I was pretty happy with my current lineup of four until I saw the Vacheron Constantin 1942 at the AD today. I'm trying to resist the impulse and see if I still feel the same way 6 months from now at that one would be a very big purchase for me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts