·
Registered
180 Posts
Reactions: nivka

·
Registered
124 Posts
Back to OPs question...

The two watches are so different that I don't think one can be said to be at all a substitute for the other for someone who is into watches.

The GP is the high horology piece. You would get it if you enjoy admiring the craftsmanship of the case finish, the dial, and the movement.

The Rolex is the iconic tool watch that will make a bold public statement on your wrist. Somewhat more "practical" for this reason - in the sense that making a positive impression on others is a practical end - and also edge on functionality with a timing bezel.

Frankly, I would enjoy being seen by others with the SM, but I would also enjoy being able to see myself a GP on my wrist.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
My take on it is if you commit to the GP but aren't sure you want it, you will lose quite a bit of money when you go to resell it. If you change your mind on the Sub you shouldn't take much of a loss if any. If you are going for the GP I'd recommend looking for one on the secondary market.

·
Registered
495 Posts
you will lose quite a bit of money when you go to resell it.
I disagree with this mindset and it's a larger conundrum than this singular post. Just buy a used ____ whatever watch and buy at the depreciated price and the whole discussion of resale value is mitigated. I'd also like to think people aren't paying 5 figures for a watch they don't love and intend to keep.

Warning: Fan Boy alert... The other option is a VC Overseas. The first and second Gen are going relatively cheap now and although they don't have the in house movement or some of the other things of the 3rd Gen - It is an iconic watch in its own right and a member of the holy trinity. If attention is what you want from watch people then get this. If you want lay people attention then get the roller. If you want a used bargain on a very high quality piece get the Laureato.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I disagree with this mindset and it's a larger conundrum than this singular post. Just buy a used ____ whatever watch and buy at the depreciated price and the whole discussion of resale value is mitigated.
My first ‘serious’ watch was baught at about 65% of the official retail value, through the grey market. When after a while I found out it wasn’t my thing I lost about 400 eur. Mitigated, yes, but still not funny at all. So I understand the concern of resale value. Buy as low as possible, and think and fit before buying. Then think again....

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I disagree with this mindset and it's a larger conundrum than this singular post. Just buy a used ____ whatever watch and buy at the depreciated price and the whole discussion of resale value is mitigated. I'd also like to think people aren't paying 5 figures for a watch they don't love and intend to keep.

Warning: Fan Boy alert... The other option is a VC Overseas. The first and second Gen are going relatively cheap now and although they don't have the in house movement or some of the other things of the 3rd Gen - It is an iconic watch in its own right and a member of the holy trinity. If attention is what you want from watch people then get this. If you want lay people attention then get the roller. If you want a used bargain on a very high quality piece get the Laureato.
How do you know if you love a watch until you've owned it for a bit? It's like dating IMO. Sure the watch looks nice at the store and you think you will like it, but you never know until you move in together and spend some time with it. At the store and in pictures it's usually just lust.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My first ‘serious’ watch was baught at about 65% of the official retail value, through the grey market. When after a while I found out it wasn’t my thing I lost about 400 eur. Mitigated, yes, but still not funny at all. So I understand the concern of resale value. Buy as low as possible, and think and fit before buying. Then think again....

Can I know how much percent 400 was? Like 50% or 5%?

EUR 400 Is still 400 and can buy some nice watches but if you bought it for 20,000 Eur then 400 after say 1-2 years seems like good rental value for most watches

·
Registered
214 Posts
Can I know how much percent 400 was? Like 50% or 5%?

EUR 400 Is still 400 and can buy some nice watches but if you bought it for 20,000 Eur then 400 after say 1-2 years seems like good rental value for most watches
Sure. Bought it for 1,100 eur. So it was a sizeable write-off relatively speaking.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sure. Bought it for 1,100 eur. So it was a sizeable write-off relatively speaking.

Yikes, really sorry to hear that.

Totally agree with you. It's an expensive hobby. But doesn't need to be more expensive than it is...

21 - 32 of 32 Posts