WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Graf Zeppelin Black Line Aviator Chronograph 7286M-2

I traded into my first Graf Zeppelin recently and was pleasantly surprised. As you may know, Graf Zeppelin watches are made in Germany, typically with Swiss quartz movements, though some Poljot, ETA, and Valjoux automatic movements are available.

My Graf is an ETA G10.211 quartz chronometer. It is part of the company's Black Line and looks a good bit like an Omega Speedmaster. It features a domed mineral crystal, fixed black aluminum tachymetre bezel, a date window at 4:00, three guilloche subdials with red hands, lumed stick indices, and very well lumed hour and minute hands. In fact, the hands are have some of the best lume I've seen outside a good dive watch. They glow a nice blue (similar to a Citizen watch in color, but brighter) and the illumination last all night.

The 7286M-2 model comes on a very good metal bracelet and has been discontinued in favor of the 72862-2, which comes on a black leather band. Some of my photos below show an aftermarket DiModell watchband. The last street price I can find on the 7286M-2 was $369. The 72862-2 is currently available for $315 or so.

The case of the 7286M-2 is well finished and brightly polished. One comment you often read about Graf Zeppelin watches is that they look like they are more expensive than they are. I would agree. The bracelet, for example, is crafted from solid steel links (including fitted end links) and alternates brushed and polished surfaces. The spring bars have adjustment levers that protrude into a recessed slot in the end links for easy bracelet changes. The clasp isn't up to the level of the overall bracelet, though. It is sturdy, but unsigned and generic-looking.

The case back isn't up to the level of top level watches, either. The engraving is shallow and the metal seems to scratch easily. The back of mine shows wear from wearing the watch a few times on a Nato strap. Water resistance is rated at 100 meters.

As one would expect, the quartz movement seems to keep good time. The chronometer is accurate, though the subdials are a tick ahead of where they should be when reset.

Overall, I have been very happy with the watch. It looks and feels great. It's a good value and feels like the watchmaker chose to spend money in the right places with things like a great dial and lume and to keep costs low by skimping on less important details like the case back. Since acquiring my first Graf, I have actually purchased a second one -- a Big Date Chrono.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice review and fine watch, especially considering the price! I just got today from Germany my own Black Line Zeppelin 7286-2 - which is the quartz Speedmaster homage version, with white hands and black leather band. It was interesting to notice that tachymeter scale is not like one that can be seen in pictures (which has BASE 1000 marking and reads TACHYMETRE but it is actually similar to your 7286M-2, so they have developed this model a bit. Also I noticed that this has also crown protector like 7286M-2. This was also my second Zep...

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One edit to my original review: The chrono hands now reset perfectly. It was user error on my part and a member here set me straight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts