WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it would be fair to say that the GMT Master II Pepsi and the Black/White face Daytona’s are a grail for many enthusiasts.

How many owners acquired theirs through stumbling upon one during a trip to the AD and what was your feeling when you saw it? I’d imagine most get the call but I know some ADs prefer to operate on a first come first serve basis.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I’ve never been on a list for a watch, but my AD generally knows what I like and calls me to announce they have certain watches like the specific models you mentioned.

·
Registered
257 Posts
For years I've been on the hunt for steel sports at ADs all over the US. I've been to a total of 49 ADs across 14 states, I've been 10s of times to many of them over time.

This is the list of stainless steel professional models I've seen in person in AD watch cases in the last 3 years:

- Rolex Explorer I
- Rolex Explorer II (black and white dial)
- Rolex Milgauss (black dial with green zapire crystal)
- Yachtmaster I (in all the dial colors that have come out in the last 5 years)
- Yachtmaster II
- Submariner Date (black dial)
- Sea-Dweller

I have not seen even one professional Rolex watch in stainless steel in the last 8 months at any AD. Professional Rolex watches have become quite scarce in the last couple of years and it feels to me personally that it is getting way worse.

I have only gotten professional models via AD call but never getting lucky at the AD in person... sad!

·
Registered
365 Posts
I think it would be fair to say that the GMT Master II Pepsi and the Black/White face Daytona’s are a grail for many enthusiasts.

How many owners acquired theirs through stumbling upon one during a trip to the AD and what was your feeling when you saw it? I’d imagine most get the call but I know some ADs prefer to operate on a first come first serve basis.
Never have stumbled across sought after SS models at AD. My AD has always called me to come pick up the watches:

BLRO
Daytona white
Daytona black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I have access to ten AD locations within a 2 hour driving radius, and the only models I haven't had on-the-spot access to by simply walking in and asking are the polar Explorer II, blue Skydweller, and Pepsa GMT Master II. FWIW, I have no interest in the last two.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have access to ten AD locations within a 2 hour driving radius, and the only model I haven't had on-the-spot acces to by simply walking in and asking are the polar Explorer II, blue Slydweller, and Pepsa GMT Master II. FWIW, I have no interest in the last two.
Personally I would love have the Pepsi GMT Master II as my first Rolex but I think it’s going to be quite a task finding one at an AD. I have one AD here in Buffalo and there are 2 towards Syracuse and Ithaca. I’d definitely make the drive to Pittsburgh if one came up but I think I’ll end up going with an OP or a DJ

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
In the fall of 2017 my AD had almost everything in the sport models: Hulk, BLNR, GMTII, Explorer 1 and 2(both colors), Bluesy SuB, Sub date and no date, YM, Seadweller DS and 4K, and Air King. All at MSRP. They even had a gold with black dial Daytona. The all gold Daytona was used and just had a full factory service(a prerequisite for consignment sale at this AD) , and it was being offered at 10K. Of course, at that time I didn't realize the value and history of the watch. I could have purchased a Hulk and a gold Daytona for under 20K! Two months later, the AD only a had 4K SD, explorers, GMT, and YM. Bought the Sea-Dweller and Explorer 1. The Ad stopped their Rolex connection shortly after that.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Ceramic Pepsis and Daytonas have never been in the cases.

I still entertain the fantasy of finding a Panda at Costco, for some reason. lol

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Ceramic Pepsis and Daytonas have never been in the cases.

I still entertain the fantasy of finding a Panda at Costco, for some reason. lol
They'll be appearing in windows a couple of weeks before an asteroid is due to destroy Earth. Actually come to think of it, not even then - if you're going out with a bang, why not with a hot unicorn on each wrist, what else are you going to do with the money?

I can't actually envisage any situation in the life of this planet in which grail/investment pieces ever appear in a shop window. Even the ongoing elimination of up to 15% of the planet's wealth is having no effect.

·
Registered
42 Posts

I set a pretty low bar for myself, but my grail was a 14060M, and nobody wanted them back then, so it was a pretty straightforward transaction 🙂

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I set a pretty low bar for myself, but my grail was a 14060M, and nobody wanted them back then, so it was a pretty straightforward transaction 🙂
That’s not a low bar at all. To me, the sub is classic Rolex next to the DJ. My AD had two Subs around Christmas, one date and one no date. Missed them by a couple of days, not that I would have purchased

·
Registered
5 Posts
TBH it's not unheard of to walk into some AD and find some Rolex sport watches you'd like, especially US ADs. A local AD had an Everose Gold Daytona with Oysterflex few months ago and goddamn my hands were itchy. I sat on it for too long and now it's gone. I asked if I could be on the list via another AD that I have a closer relationship with, and they said they might not be able to get one of those for quite a while. :(

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TBH it's not unheard of to walk into some AD and find some Rolex sport watches you'd like, especially US ADs. A local AD had an Everose Gold Daytona with Oysterflex few months ago and goddamn my hands were itchy. I sat on it for too long and now it's gone. I asked if I could be on the list via another AD that I have a closer relationship with, and they said they might not be able to get one of those for quite a while. :(
I just know that’s going to happen to me. I thought I would be ready to buy my first next year but I know realistically it will probably be 2-3 years away (if I elect not to get an OP). With my luck I’ll end up walking in and see the GMT Master II Pepsi

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had this in another thread - but here is the situation I see - this is straight from the horses mouth an AD I know - and frankly, a personal connection of mine!

"Rolex has been closed in Switzerland and domestically since March. No shipping of watches at all and no manufacture of watches. We anticipate starting to see some new inventory although we did get boxes right before we shut down. I would love to see you get into a Daytona or a GMT at some point, those are usually watches that go to our existing collectors and clients. I think that’s the case with most stores as you begin to build a relationship and those special time pieces appear. It’s not that we don’t get them in, it’s just that they tend to go very quickly to people that have expressed intrastate and have shopped with us previously"

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Never have stumbled across sought after SS models at AD. My AD has always called me to come pick up the watches:

BLRO
Daytona white
Daytona black

This thread needs some pics!!!

Awesome pic! Decided I’m going to start saving for an OP, DJ, or GMT Pepsi. I REALLY want the Pepsi the most out of the 3 but I think it’s going to be very difficult to find for retail. Nonetheless I’m not going to rush into purchasing the other two (which I like very much) because you never know what will pop up

·
Registered
24 Posts
My biggest thing is that I have bought tons of tudors... all from an AD that doesnt represent Rolex as well. Totally drives me nuts, because, id be a prime customer for a Daytona or Pepsi. If presented to me, id pull the trigger immediately.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts