WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see the term Grail used a lot, and wonder what WIS' consider a grail. To me it is a watch that is out of my price range and I'd have to save for a long time to afford. Either that or win the Lotto. :-d I see many watches that I'd love to own, but I don't have a need for a lot of watches, so I pass on buying them. But there are a few that I would love to have and pass on to my sons.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
For me "Grail" watch should be something that I can NOT attain in my lifetime/or unless I go insane.

Thus, my current "Grail" watch is: JLC Reverso Gyrotourbillon. ($350K)

My previous "Grail" was UN Freak, but after seeing it for $40K on TZ Showcase, I had to move my "Grail" higher because even though I know I won't spend $40K on a watch in reasonable time, I probably CAN (In reasonable time) and may actually get TEMPTED. (Can not happen if I want to keep my marriage - maybe I can convince my wife that it would be good thing for my 40th birthday. - which is quite a bit off, but it gives her time to prepare.. ha ha!)

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I'd say any watch you like a lot, but cannot afford immediately and would take some time to save for. Also rarity plays a part in it too some ultra rare watch you can afford but can't find for sale could be a "grail".

i.e. for me right now it's a chronoswiss delphis

Reactions: MH434

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's the one watch you've always wanted since the first time you saw it and haven't been able to get it for whatever reason, be it price, rarity, a father who refuses to die or any other...

·
Registered
801 Posts
to me a Grail watch is a watch that is out of your immediate price range. One that if you bought, would mean you would be sleeping on the couch for a considerably long time.

But also, the grail watch should be one that is attainable maybe as a retirement present.

My grail watch is the Vacheron Constantine Patrimony Bi-retrograde. It's about $30,000. Can I afford it now? absolutely... will I have to sleep on the couch, absolutely.

Everyone has their own definition I guess.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Affordable Grail: Dino Zei San Marco, Anonimo Professionale Chrono

Not So affordable Grail: Glashutte Original Panomatich Chrono in Platinum.

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
Grail, in terms of watches, to me isn't necessarily something unattainable, but rather something perfect, or so near it you wouldn't notice any imperfections. Something that suits your/my personal preference and specific tastes to a "T". I used to think like you, that it was something that I can't currently, nor in the foreseeable future, afford. That has changed though, as my desires have simplified. For me the important things are feel, aesthetic appeal, and accuracy (within reason of course). Feel is simply comfort, and I've come to learn that it can be achieved by merely finding the right strap for the watch. The looks of a watch... well, that's easy to please me, just make it a large dive watch, and there's an abundance of those sprouting up everywhere. Finally, the accuracy, which can be had with a simple tinkering by either myself of a jeweler... if I get frustrated and give up.

I don't desire names, that means nothing to me as I'd much rather have something lesser known to the average-Joe than some overpriced and over-marketed top-dog watch. Intimacy is so much better; being able to contact the owner of the company when I need new springbars or have QC issues... rather than some customer service representative that hates their job like the rest of us and just wants to get rid of me so they shine me on and I don't hear back from the, let alone get the watch back, for over two months. Grail has definitely changed for me, and I'm hoping that it stays where it is, because it's really easy to be happy with a purchase right now!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
To me, a grail is a stretch. Something that takes some work and savings and maybe some sacrifice. A watch, that may be one that will stop you from needing to buy others. I thought the Rolex I just bought may be my grail but within a week I am already thinking of other Rolex and an IWC. Nicest watch I have owned but maybe not my grail.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Grail, in terms of watches, to me isn't necessarily something unattainable, but rather something perfect, or so near it you wouldn't notice any imperfections. Something that suits your/my personal preference and specific tastes to a "T". I used to think like you, that it was something that I can't currently, nor in the foreseeable future, afford. That has changed though, as my desires have simplified. For me the important things are feel, aesthetic appeal, and accuracy (within reason of course). Feel is simply comfort, and I've come to learn that it can be achieved by merely finding the right strap for the watch. The looks of a watch... well, that's easy to please me, just make it a large dive watch, and there's an abundance of those sprouting up everywhere. Finally, the accuracy, which can be had with a simple tinkering by either myself of a jeweler... if I get frustrated and give up.

I don't desire names, that means nothing to me as I'd much rather have something lesser known to the average-Joe than some overpriced and over-marketed top-dog watch. Intimacy is so much better; being able to contact the owner of the company when I need new springbars or have QC issues... rather than some customer service representative that hates their job like the rest of us and just wants to get rid of me so they shine me on and I don't hear back from the, let alone get the watch back, for over two months. Grail has definitely changed for me, and I'm hoping that it stays where it is, because it's really easy to be happy with a purchase right now!
The grail changing is very true. I wish it was fixed but it seems to be a moving target for many of us.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Would you be willing to sell off everything else in your watch box, if necessary, to fund the purchase? Then it's your grail.

·
Registered
69 Posts

I think this (^^) is the lens through which I will understand "grail" from here on out---great post!

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
The Grail is the Chalice of the Last Supper, or it can be: the Eucharistic chalice, the dish of the Paschal Lamb, the basin in which Pilate washed his hands, and the cup in which Joseph of Arimathea received Christ's blood.

Like its Holy counter-part, watch grails are likewise defined by the searcher, worth more to certian individuals that others and often, when actually, discovered, found to be false.....

·
Registered
35,399 Posts
Just a watch you find desirable, but for some reason or another you cannot attain yet. Does not necessarily have to be financial.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'd say any watch you like a lot, but cannot afford immediately and would take some time to save for. Also rarity plays a part in it too some ultra rare watch you can afford but can't find for sale could be a "grail".
+1 to this. I would also think a grail is a watch that would make your search come to an end... But that might be stretching it a bit, based on how the term gets used generally...

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
For me, it is the ultimate, virtually unobtainable watch.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Personally, it is a watch that is basically out of reach unless now, but I could get with a some saving/selling other watches in the future.
For me it is the Patek 5960P:
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

cheers.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I've always believed that, in addition to a "grail" being a watch you have to save for (and in some cases, never own), that the term also signified a feeling of this is it; this is THE watch I've always wanted, and if I get it, the enjoyment of this will never be matched. I think in some cases, a grail doesn't necessarily have to be an expensive piece, but rather a rare, long out-of-print, or unique piece that somehow "speaks" to its owner like no other watch possibly could.

But what do I know.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts