WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I have a SBGA031 that I wear daily for the last 2 years. The bezel is sticking pretty badly right now and difficult to turn. I am not sending it in for this. I tried using body wash in the shower so if it was dirt or grim it should have been clean by now but its done no good and still sticking when you try to turn the bezel.

I believe theres probably rods under spring pressure or a ratchet type turn device under the bezel that normally has silicone grease on it that may be gone and in need of re lubing? I have all the proper watchmakers tools for removing the bezel and I am a knifemaker and work with all sorts of metal including titanium on a regular basis.

So my question is this. Have any of you had the bezel of a Grand Seiko off for cleaning or repair? Any surprises along the way or is it as easy as tapeing off the surfaces and using a pry tool to pop the bezel off with a clean and re lube before popping it back on?

Inquiring minds gotta know. :)

Thanks in advance, Jim

·
Registered
29 Posts
Would love to hear from people who managed to pry of their bezels. I tried but failed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well after 2 weeks with no responses that have experience removing a Grand Seiko Bezel I decided to not try to remove the bezel just yet. I have a hand held watchmakers tool for bezel removal and have done a few on cheaper watches and also a few Rolexs years ago. I would also pop to buy one of those bezel removers on Ebay if they would work well. But for now I took the easy way out and just used a drop of silicone spray on a toothpick on the top and bottom of the bezel at the joint. Spun it around about 40 times and it seems good as new. I really doubt there was any dirt or junk under the bezel anyway.

I feel under the bezel there's either a spring steel compression type ring with a one way cut on it or a few ball bearings under spring pressure. I also think since I clean my watch about once a month with the tooth brush and body wash in the shower I probably have depleted the silicone grease around a seal or spring if there even is a seal on the inside of the bezel.

Maybe in time a video will surface to show whats really under a Grand Seiko Diver bezel and how to remove it. But for now were going to be happy and enjoy a free wheeling bezel once again. ;-)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Man I wish someone had answered you. I have the same issue. I’m afraid to pop that sucker off and find out it is way more complex than how they show guys doing it on Rolex’. Or that somehow how grand seiko do it is different.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Man I wish someone had answered you. I have the same issue. I’m afraid to pop that sucker off and find out it is way more complex than how they show guys doing it on Rolex’. Or that somehow how grand seiko do it is different.
Before trying to pry off the bezel, I’d get a small bowl of warm water (~37C) and a dash of dish soap. Soak it in the water, work it all in with your hands while turning the bezel under the warm water. The bezel should start to free up, give a rinse under clean water, and you’re done.

...don’t forget to make sure that the crown is screwed down tightly... :)

Cheers,
Noel

Reactions: ledoov

·
Registered
130 Posts
My SBGX115 bezel gets very sticky too. Rubbing under warm water always fixes the problem, but only for a day or two. I guess there's no harm in trying the silicon grease under the bezel trick, huh?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts