WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Favorite GS chrono design

• Ceramic/Titanium race cars.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey WUS,

I want to talk about GS chronos a bit. I've been on the hunt for weeks for my next watch. After narrowing down to chronographs, I further focused in on GS' spring drive chronos. To me, a perfectly smooth chronograph seconds hand afforded by the spring drive is the perfect combination.

There has, to my knowledge anyways, been 4 basic designs with 3 different movements. Pics taken from plus9time.

1. The original SBGC001, including all its other color/strap variations.
  • Introduced all the way back in 2007. It still lives on today in the SBGC201 with the new branding.
  • Usually employs 9R86 for a +/-15 sec/month, with some LEs using 9R96 at +/-10 sec/month.
  • 43.5mm diameter, 16.1mm thick, 50.8mm lug to lug, and 21mm lug width. Surprisingly this is one of the smaller chronograph GS offers.
  • Iconic large, screwed down pushers. You either love them or hate them. There's also a new and unique LE variant SBGC240 that does away with the screw down pushers and adds a tachymeter bezel too.
2. The chronograph-only, non-GMT SBGB001 and SBGB003.
  • Introduced in 2013. The only GS Chrono to not also have a GMT complication. Seems to be discontinued since it never made the leap to the new branding. Shame really.
  • 9R84 movement, basically the 9R86 w/o the GMT complication. Also rated at +/- 15 sec/month.
  • 44mm diameter, 14.7mm thick, 50.6mm lug to lug, and 20mm lug width. I believe this is the smallest chronograph GS ever offered.
  • Key differentiators include no GMT, sapphire capped bezel, and crown guards.
3. The bold ceramic + titanium chronographs.
  • First introduced in 2016. There are two primary variants. The pre-GS branding non-lumed version and the post-GS branding lumed versions. Seems they don't make the pre-GS branding versions anymore, which makes sense since the newer version is quite similar.
  • 9R86 or 9R96 movements.
  • 46.4mm diameter, 16.4mm thick, 52.4mm lug to lug, and 23mm lug width. A large watch even by todays standards.
  • Unlike anything GS has put out before. Looks like a race car. Unique running seconds design looks like a race track.
  • Without considering PM or LE pieces, these are the most expensive GS chronos.
4. The recent, LE only models.
  • Introduced in 2019 to commemorate the 20th of spring drives. The latest design for GS chronos. Only available as LEs so far.
  • 9R96 only, given these are limited editions only.
  • 44.5mm diameter, 17.1mm thick, 49.9mm lug to lug, and 23mm lug width. Thicc.
  • Very generous lume. Lumed sapphire capped bezel.

So there you have it. Some additional thoughts:
  • I'm excited for the sportier direction of the more recent models. I like that GS doesn't directly compete with the speedy or the daytona, but instead opts to do its own unique thing. I do hope they can find a way to make them more reasonably sized though!
  • I wonder why they discontinued the 9R84 models? Is there really no demand for a chrono-only GS? I would certainly be interested as that would surely come with smaller dimensions.
  • Will the most recent design become a regular production model? The design does not seem like one that would have mass appeal, but who knows.
  • I believe the movements are modular and based on the popular 9R65. Now that we have a thinner 9RA5, I'm excited to see what a new GS chrono built on that would look like. Here's praying for flybacks...馃槺
  • Off centered logo at 11 oclock is a little odd, but I don't really mind it. In a way it balances out the two subdials on the right side a little better.
  • Screwed down pushers...feels like a chore to me.

What do you think of the current lineup? Do you like what GS has put out? What would you like to see in the future? Interested to hear what the community's thoughts are :) Thanks.

Premium Member
Was considering the Nissan GTR if my wife gifted me with the car. :)

i think GS makes great dress watches. Seiko makes great divers and chronographs. Not sure why i dont find any GS diver or chronograph appealing. And i am a GS fanboy.

Premium Member
i think GS makes great dress watches. Seiko makes great divers and chronographs. Not sure why i dont find any GS diver or chronograph appealing. And i am a GS fanboy.
Feel the same way.

Registered
Nice write up regarding the GS chronos.

I can easily say my favourite interpretation is the recent design with the boxy lugs

It only took them forever but they finally got the spring drive GS chrono right.
If you look at the history of the SD chrono movement with its pretty silly layout, it's obvious it was never intended for a dressy conservative watch (SD international collection, galante, ananta, spacewalk, Izul, etc). The "classic" GS chrono (which I still like) always looked like it was designed around the movement, not the other way around so-to-speak. A few years ago when GS started designing new watches which substituted the standard pointy dauphine hands and battons for the geometric truncated styles I was initially hesitant on the 3 handers but they've come into their own with this new chrono case, which mirrors the dial furnishings.
The latest two-tone classic model with the dodecahedral bezel and regular pushers is definitely a step in the right direction for the "classic" style, but they didn't fully embrace it. The case needs to be sharpened up a bit, and remove some of the roundy-ness that remains from the original design.

Premium Member
Hold on to your hats because while I love GS 3 handers and GMTs I鈥檓 not overly fond of their chronos. It鈥檚 something about the pushers I think.

Registered
SBGC231 is fantastic except 2 things that stopping me from jumping on it.
It's f*g thick, and even more important - to be perfect it should have chronograph minutes and hours on one dial, like this.
Thank you for your picture. Just realised the most usefull function for today鈥檚 chronos: you can use it as a GMT. Just a bit of work to start the chrono at the exact 12.00 on that other time zone.

Will now start my hunt with this Speedy Racing dial and you鈥檙e the one to blaim!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Member
Thank you for putting together such a nice summary!
So far, GS have not yet put out a chrono design that I find completely compelling. Perhaps one day.

Registered
I like the boxy lugs of the most recent LEs, the shape is homage to the vintage 6139 Seiko Chrono case design.

Registered
Nice write up regarding the GS chronos.

I can easily say my favourite interpretation is the recent design with the boxy lugs
View attachment 15859627
It only took them forever but they finally got the spring drive GS chrono right.
Agree

This one is magnificent in person and while the numbers seem massive on paper it鈥檚 light and comfortable on wrist. Marie I was it was a couple of mm thinner and smaller but it鈥檚 awesome all the same. Shame is so pricy, I just wouldn鈥檛 be able to wear it the way it鈥檚 supposed to be worn ie as a daily.

鈥⑩ sent by two turn tables and a microphone 鈥⑩

1 - 13 of 13 Posts