WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello dear Seikopaths,

I've been recently looking into Grand Seiko. I'm feeling more drawn to their watches and would like to learn more. GS comes in many flavors. I was curious as to which GS models are most popular/ in demand, and which models retain the most resell value on the used market and are easily resold. Is there such a thing as The GS signature watch? I'm looking forward to hear your expert opinions on the subject.

I thank you in advance for your contribution.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
There's only about 100 men's models, so it's not that hard to choose, LOL :p

If you're not sure you'll love a GS, instead of buying new and thinking of selling later, I'd buy second-hand upfront. The GS 'signature watch' is probably the SBGH001. Even Seiko thinks it should get the number '001' so that's saying something in itself ;)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Like Domo said, SBGH001 hi-beat or SBGA011 spring drive. It comes down to whether ou want mechanical vs hybrid.

If you like divers, SBGA031 is quite nice.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Divers are Always easy to sell,
but I don't Think any GS Seiko is easy to sell in Euro.

They are unic watches but not Many knows that in our part of they World.

If you Think on resale value even before you bought the watch, don't get a GS.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you Think on resale value even before you bought the watch, don't get a GS.
I would tend to agree if you are buying new and intending to flip.

However, certain models in high (relative) demand such as the Snowflake, Diver or GMT if bought used appear to be good investments. There is low used price volatility and demand over recent years has remained relatively strong.

An argument to so your research before pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I wouldn't be buying a GS if your concerned about re-sale value. Only buy it if you love the watch.

Do some research, see what you like.

Auto, Spring Drive, High Beat, quartz - theres something for everyone

·
Registered
765 Posts
I would say that the "work horse" of the GS are the divers, SBGA029/31. Tough, Clear dial and hands, excellent lume.
among the elegant is the SBGH001.
But lately I can see a tendency toward GMT's.
Confuse? it always a dilemma when you have to choose between the GS and that is because they are all so wonderful watches.

Reactions: T1meout

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
hardly seen anyone could make a profit by selling their GS.,..go for Rolex divers instead
You won't make a profit flipping a rolex either. You won't lose as much but if you're buying new you'll take a hit on resale.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hello dear Seikopaths,

I've been recently looking into Grand Seiko. I'm feeling more drawn to their watches and would like to learn more. GS comes in many flavors. I was curious as to which GS models are most popular/ in demand, and which models retain the most resell value on the used market and are easily resold. Is there such a thing as The GS signature watch? I'm looking forward to hear your expert opinions on the subject.

I thank you in advance for your contribution.
If you look on the Arizona Fine Time website (one of the forum sponsors( you will see all of the current models. You have the choice of hi-beat, spring drive and quartz but it is difficult to say which model will hold popularity in the future as they are still so new to the market. There have been some limited edition models and chrono24 has a diver spring drive with the blue face (only 300 made?). That has been for sale for several weeks but I believe that the asking price is over the original rrp but that might be because the guy had to pay import taxes?

As these limited editions are still very rare on the market and sold out fairly quickly then maybe that is an indication that there is not a massive used market yet. Maybe at that price point buyers feel safer with the `Rolex' etc.

If resale value is very important then maybe the GS is not for you. I have on and hope to add another but I love the quality of the GS and take a view that if i paid say $6000 for a spring-drive and keep it for 10 years then it works out at about $1.64 per day (if it just gets thrown away). Loads of people spend more than that every day on a cup of coffee and I reckon a GS will give me more pleasure than those coffees.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Other wise get a lim.ed grand Seiko diver,
they are a Real lim.ed watch and has the DNA to be a good investment.

But watches as a investment is never good when we talk about the kind of watches we talk about,
maybe you just have to buy a Rolex put in a box and wait for the normal Price Raise every year,
and then sell it after 20 years, not much fun.

I Would buy something Else...

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I echo the general sentiment about GS and resale value. But will add that I think your best bet in that area would be to get a current limited edition piece. Of the current models, the blue SBGA105 and the green SBGJ005 will likely suffer the least depreciation and be of decent demand after a couple years.

As for the separate point of The GS signature watch, I'm convinced after watching this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iML7VPvh1mQ
that, that watch may have claim as the signature GS in its greatest market share, Japan. Seems to be SBGR053. It's a watch I've seen in the wild on a Japanese tourist, and I would bet that on the streets and offices of Tokyo, that could be the most commonly sported modern GS. The case size of 37 mm would work well for myself and the general population in Japan, but would tend to stifle it in the international market. However it wouldn't wear very small because of the high polish sides and 13+mm thickness. It contains the standard high quality workhorse Grand Seiko automatic movement rather than specialized Hi-Beat or Spring Drive, so you're talking over $2,000 cheaper. So if money and resale is a concern for you, consider that you'll pay less for the watch initially, and if depreciated as a percentage of original cost, you should take a smaller over all hit on that end as well. I'd agree in the Western market, SBGA011 and SBGH001 are the most popular models, but I think SBGR053 and white SBGR051 would be up there domestically as signature GS pieces.

Reactions: T1meout and Domo

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I would like to thank everyone for their contribution.

I perform thorough research before buying a watch. I own several mid range brands and generally don't flip, except for a seiko black Monster which I sold only because the offer was to good to refuse. The guy loved the watch and bought it from me on the spot.

I don't consider watches an investment, and generally buy what I like as long as I can justify the cost.

Having researched GS I have come to the conclusion that if anything, they are absolutely undervalued.

Domo, having read many of your posts on the forum, I'm not surprised you were the first to reply.:-d

I know GS don't tend to hold value, but I'm still interested in the brand. I like the look of the SBGH001, but am mostly fond of the SBGW047 and the SBGR083. Yes, I have been doing quite some research on the subject! So, I looked for a dealer in my area on the Seiko website and low and behold I found one just a few blocks from where I work.

Today I went in to have a look at their stock and to my surprise they didn't have any. Apparently they only recently became GS dealers and stock hasn't arrived yet. Much to my surprise the salesman told me that they were even getting a few limited editions, like the SBGJ005 and the R083, but unfortunately not the W047.

Feels like it's destined.

I left him my details and requested they give me a call once the watches arrive. I had a nice talk with the knowledgable gentleman, a true WIS.

So there you have it. Work in progress! I'm so excited. Can't wait to try them on.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
SBGR083 is excellent, and recently it seemingly has entered the realm of generally sold out and hard to find (brand new) LE pieces. Surprising to hear a new store has secured one, if it is new and unused. Scoop it up if everything falls in alignment for you with that one!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts