WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Which watch: SBGY003 or SBGM235

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the SBGM235 and have been waiting for the SBGY003. I got the call and frankly was underwhelmed when I saw it. If the 003 was to be my first GS, I would have bought it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,865 Posts
Looks wise, I think it's a stunner. Would I pay £7500 for it? Very doubtful.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I got mine earlier this week! I went into a local dealer to see if they had a SBGR407 (I think it was). The assistant didn't have one of those, but passed me the SBY003 to look at and passed me a loupe. That was a mistake! I wound up buying it. At first glance it is indeed underwhelming, but the closer you look, the more there is to see. The sunburst rays for example are mostly invisible further in than the index markers - until you look closer and/or in better light. What was a simple white dial, is revealed as something more complex. The lines actually converge right in the centre, but they are quite hard to see at that point without very good light, and a fairly powerful loupe. The view in the back is also quite a picture. (On a par with the finishing in my Pateks in fact.) This is actually my fourth GS and my third spring drive. Not a tool watch, or really a dress watch either. And not something that will get noticed much on your wrist. Although that is one of the attractions for me. I have seen some people question the reliability of spring drives, and all I can say is that I have never had a Seiko, or Grand Seiko in for service or repair (my oldest spring drive is now 12). With no mechanical escapement, no rotor, and no battery, I think this watch should outlast civilization. ��

·
Registered
188 Posts
It's everything I'm looking for except for the dial. Would be very interested if they did some dial variations with the same case design in the future.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Sorry, I can't warm to the movement on the SBGY003, it's a big flat brushed plate with some beveled holes for jewels. And that doesn't look to me like Patek-level finishing to me.

This is how a hand-wound Spring Drive should be finished, note the nice anglage:

IMG_2048A.jpg

At first I was set to love the SBGY003. But I find polished hands on a silver dial to be tricky to see. When I finally was able to handle one I realized the radial dial patterning made it even harder, so I passed. So, to answer OP, I'd opt for the lovely SBGM235 - but WUS won't let me change my poll vote :-( .

·
Registered
31,461 Posts
SBGM235 get my vote. I have seen one in person and it is stunning.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I saw a prototype at a GS event. It's nice and slim and looks great. I wish most of the dressier GS spring drive watches were this thin. Also, I wouldn't mind a bracelet option and an automatic... and cheaper.

Those things aside, I think it's a beautiful watch and a move in the right direction for GS.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Sorry, I can't warm to the movement on the SBGY003, it's a big flat brushed plate with some beveled holes for jewels. And that doesn't look to me like Patek-level finishing to me.

This is how a hand-wound Spring Drive should be finished, note the nice anglage:

View attachment 14394889

At first I was set to love the SBGY003. But I find polished hands on a silver dial to be tricky to see. When I finally was able to handle one I realized the radial dial patterning made it even harder, so I passed. So, to answer OP, I'd opt for the lovely SBGM235 - but WUS won't let me change my poll vote :-( .

Curious, looked the 9R31 up.
Grand-Seiko-Spring-Drive-SBGY003.010.jpg

Leave's one wanting for more, especially in a limited edition...

Charlie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts