WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Very close to ordering the SBGA211G, just after some encouragement :)

I’ve a few watches in my collection, Rolex, Omega, Doxa and Sinn but I’m intrigued by this watch.

It looks simply stunning, I think the Seiko badge is clouding my thoughts at that price.

Any experiences/thoughts welcome?

Best regards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Congratulations! I don’t own a snowflake, but have held one, and I can say it’s unlike any other watch.

·
Registered
578 Posts
There should be an official forum solely dedicated to the Snowflake, that's my thought.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, it was a bit outside my usual comfort zone but I’ve debated it for so long I just decided to go for it.

Your pictures look amazing

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ordered Will be here tomorrow.

Please post some photos and what your initial impressions are once you get it. It'll be a great vicarious experience for a lot of us who want a Snowflake but aren't there just yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
GSs are in a weird place. The details are amazing, but overall, they just don't have anything really distinctive from say 6 feet away. When I was in art school, they used to say a piece should be interesting at 1', 6' and 30'. That different design elements should engage at varying distances. And they cautioned us to constantly to get up and walk away from our piece and look at it again to see if it only held up at close range. Grand Siekos, I feel are really bad this way. The details are of spectacular workmanship, but at 10 feet, you'd never even notice them. Contrasting with say a P.P. Calatrava, an original Accutron Spaceview or even an Omega Seamaster from the mid 1950's that just packed a WOW factor that make people walk up and ask what "watch is that". GSs are near-sighted goodness to be sure, but really need some new designer's eyes in the mix.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
^^ I think GS don't really care about that. The pieces are for the owners, not for the world at large to admire. They're time pieces first. Maybe other brands are not putting as much effort in that category and care more about the look/bling/wow factor.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
GSs are in a weird place. The details are amazing, but overall, they just don't have anything really distinctive from say 6 feet away.... GSs are near-sighted goodness to be sure, but really need some new designer's eyes in the mix.
Yes, lots of other watches have this GS44 case design, which can't be seen unless you are 1' or less away (joking).
Not my photo.

·
Registered
12 Posts
^^ I think GS don't really care about that. The pieces are for the owners, not for the world at large to admire. They're time pieces first. Maybe other brands are not putting as much effort in that category and care more about the look/bling/wow factor.
And there's NOTHING wrong with that, but that is a choice. So when you see the ENDLESS apologetics videos "oh no really Grand Sieko is just as good as Rolex" they have only themselves to blame for myopia.

·
Registered
578 Posts
And there's NOTHING wrong with that, but that is a choice. So when you see the ENDLESS apologetics videos "oh no really Grand Sieko is just as good as Rolex" they have only themselves to blame for myopia.
You're preaching to the wrong choir bud.

Reactions: artphotodude

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, lots of other watches have this GS44 case design, which can't be seen unless you are 1' or less away (joking).
Not my photo.

View attachment 15374165
But this much flash, can simply dissolve into noise. There is a reason why the Royal Oak has hung in there as well as it has. Design is tough, and great design all the more so, and often the MUST be greater than the sum of the parts.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Grand Seiko are not saying those things. Owners do.

Those that disagree are free to have that opinion as well. Doesn't take anything away from the GS quality.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Grand Seiko are not saying those things. Owners do.

Those that disagree are free to have that opinion as well. Doesn't take anything away from the GS quality.
TruDat. The "BetaMax" of watches!! Maybe that is one thing that is good about the tribe-first nature of people today. Someone who sports a Vostok and one wearing a Grand Sieko can both be equally convinced of the superiority of their purchase over all others. The VR-generation self-defined standard. Maybe this is the ultimate existentialism.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts