WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently had to send in my Grand Seiko for warranty. What has been everyone's experience here?
Just some thoughts:
-Duration the watch was gone
-Was the issue fixed?
-How up to date were you kept on the process or location of the watch?

·
Registered
765 Posts
So no one at WUS has had to send their Grand Seiko in for maintenance or warranty??
That is an interest question.
Does any owner of GS need to repair his watch?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
It is possible that there is just not much experience yet...? I often forget that, even though there is so much history with GS, the modern versions have not been around that long. You see this question come up about the long term reliability of the Spring Drive since they have only been prevalent for, what, 10 years? Isn't the modern high beat only 5 years on the market?

(I still buy them...)

·
Registered
765 Posts
It is possible that there is just not much experience yet...? I often forget that, even though there is so much history with GS, the modern versions have not been around that long. You see this question come up about the long term reliability of the Spring Drive since they have only been prevalent for, what, 10 years? Isn't the modern high beat only 5 years on the market?

(I still buy them...)
Actually, The King Seiko 45, 36,000 Hi Beat movement, produced from the late 60s.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Word is "modern" .... not the vintage one.

On a separate note, the Spring Drive has been around for a little over 15 years now.

Haven't heard much about maintenance / servicing complaints though.

Either that or those guys don't frequent message board/ forums much.

·
Premium Member
Omega AT Day Date SS, Omega De Ville Trésor YG
4,026 Posts
I know that everyone is sick of of the car analogy, still I think that GS is similar to Lexus: absolutely reliable.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
I know that everyone is sick of of the car analogy, still I think that GS is similar to Lexus: absolutely reliable.

I wonder which is cheaper to get serviced, the Lexus or the Grand Seiko. :think: ;-)

Reactions: adamcb

·
Registered
765 Posts
I wonder which is cheaper to get serviced, the Lexus or the Grand Seiko. :think: ;-)
At least you don't have to wait two month with the Lexus.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Word is "modern" .... not the vintage one.
If the King Seiko are ticking to these days, No reason the 9S85 won't last, At least, To the same time.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I can tell you my own experience of GS warranty claim. I have GS which exceeds 10s/d after having been sitting on my testing bench for several months. I called COSERV and the harsh woman said they cannot answer any question unless I mail the watch to them. I contacted YSERV and the Japanese sent me a long email said I got 10s/d because I could not test the watch in THEIR way. He told me 10s/d is within GS specification and it is ABSOLUTELY normal. He also refused my warranty claim and threaten to close my ****zone forum account if I told the story to any other members.

Hi all,

I recently had to send in my Grand Seiko for warranty. What has been everyone's experience here?
Just some thoughts:
-Duration the watch was gone
-Was the issue fixed?
-How up to date were you kept on the process or location of the watch?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
If the King Seiko are ticking to these days, No reason the 9S85 won't last, At least, To the same time.
Actually, there is a reason - the fact that it has only been mass produced for 5 years means that we just don't have experience. I realize that there is a strong history of reliability that speaks well for the brand, just not sure how much that relates to the "reboot" of GS over the last few years. I am not trying to sound negative about GS, but it seems a bit short sighted to me to say that the new ones will not need maintenance because the ones from the 60s are still running. Again, I still have a 9S85 on my short list.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
At least you don't have to wait two month with the Lexus.
I could live with two months.
I've been informed that when I send my DSSD away for service, it will be away for..........four months! :roll:

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I sent my Spring Drive direct to Seiko Japan before, took a month to get it back and it worked.

Charged nil within the warranty and you need to show the card.

·
Premium Member
17,815 Posts
I can tell you my own experience of GS warranty claim. I have GS which exceeds 10s/d after having been sitting on my testing bench for several months. I called COSERV and the harsh woman said they cannot answer any question unless I mail the watch to them. I contacted YSERV and the Japanese sent me a long email said I got 10s/d because I could not test the watch in THEIR way. He told me 10s/d is within GS specification and it is ABSOLUTELY normal. He also refused my warranty claim and threaten to close my ****zone forum account if I told the story to any other members.
Wow. Not the way to build customer loyalty if you're trying to build a brand here. Hope that was just a guy having a bad day...

However, not sure how they could close your forum account. Prevail on the zone mods to delete your post? Maybe. Sounds like hot air...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I ask because my experience has been less than pleasant.
I had a SBGH001 performing at +90 seconds a day that fell within the warranty period. The watch has only seen office wear and was purchased brand new.

I sent it in and was not made aware of when it reached Japan. All I was told is that it sometimes can take months. Seiko Japan will take 20 days to diagnose/fix the watch and then another 17 to retest the watch. Once fixed it then has to go to Seiko US, and then to the very reputable dealer whom I purchased the watch from and then finally back to me. There is no phone number that can be called for an update nor any website. As for my luxary watch experience, I find it abysmal. I defintely bought all of the Grand Seiko hype and regret it somewhat now that I've gone without my watch since mid March.

·
Premium Member
Omega AT Day Date SS, Omega De Ville Trésor YG
4,026 Posts
GS goes to Japan. It's not different from GO which goes to Germany and any Swiss watch that has no SC in specific country..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts