WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, anyone can recommend to me which series of Grand Seiko watch is hot picked item now. I wish to buy it as present.

Thanks

·
Registered
GS SBGA373
1,109 Posts
Hi, anyone can recommend to me which series of Grand Seiko watch is hot picked item now. I wish to buy it as present.

Thanks
I don't think there is any single GS model that has sold more units than the Snowflake (current reference number SBGA211). I think it is the iconic Grand Seiko for now.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Depends on who you’re buying for of course. If they’re not a WIS, most people would be perfectly happy with a quartz GS for much less than the SD snowflake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think there is any single GS model that has sold more units than the Snowflake (current reference number SBGA211). I think it is the iconic Grand Seiko for now.
Wow, this is nice. Thanks for the suggestion, is there any other series?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Depends on who you’re buying for of course. If they’re not a WIS, most people would be perfectly happy with a quartz GS for much less than the SD snowflake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am buying for my husband as a birthday present. Any series will you recommend?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am buying for my husband as a birthday present. Any series will you recommend?
Sbga211 snowflake, it is the most iconic recent GS Model, very versatile and light to use daily

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts

Thanks
Edit - I see you asked the same question in the Seiko forum and mentioned your budget is $500. You will not be able to get a Grand Seiko for that price, you need to spend much more.

It might help us if you could tell us a little about your husband:

• What is his wrist size (the Snowflake is a relatively large watch)?
  • What other watches does he own (so we have an idea about his style) - does he prefer leather straps or metal bracelets?
  • What color watch faces does he like?
  • Where is he going to wear the watch - an office or physical labor (mechanical watches are not so good for heavy labor)?
  • How much do you want to spend - Grand Seikos run from US$2500 to US$10000, roughly. If you want precious metal like gold you can spend even more.
Very thoughtful wife, he is lucky!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Oops! with a 500$ budget, Grand Seiko's are definitely going to be out of reach. You could always look for a nice Seiko instead!

Very nice present for sure, I'm excited for him lol.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'd hate it if my wife bought me an expensive watch - or actually any watch - as it would almost certainly not be what I'd choose myself and I'd have to pretend to like it and wear it in preference to my other watches.

Take him with you and let him choose.

If you want to surprise him with something that he will like - I'd be happy to make some suggestions.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I'd hate it if my wife bought me an expensive watch - or actually any watch - as it would almost certainly not be what I'd choose myself and I'd have to pretend to like it and wear it in preference to my other watches.

Take him with you and let him choose.

If you want to surprise him with something that he will like - I'd be happy to make some suggestions.

Ideally, they'll pick something you'd have really wanted. But it is definitely a problem when buying something for somebody who's really into any particular hobby that you know very little about. Eg, don't buy golf clubs or balls for a golfer unless you really know what they like.

We know nothing about this recipient; how into watches he is, or if he cares about the movement type (quartz vs mechanical).....

The thought counts! But, still this can be an honest issue depending on how much of a watch guy he is.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
24,485 Posts
Ideally, they'll pick something you'd have really wanted. But it is definitely a problem when buying something for somebody who's really into any particular hobby that you know very little about. Eg, don't buy golf clubs or balls for a golfer unless you really know what they like.

We know nothing about this recipient; how into watches he is, or if he cares about the movement type (quartz vs mechanical).....

The thought counts! But, still this can be an honest issue depending on how much of a watch guy he is.
Yes, exactly. And it also depends on what kind of person he is.

Here's my anecdote. Two disparate reactions in the same family (okay, three, now that I think about it) --

I received a watch as a surprise present from my godfather. The only thing about it that I would have liked if I saw it at a store was that it's got a mechanical movement; otherwise, it's gold-plated, edge-to-edge sapphire crystal, diamond hour markers, and gold hands on a gold dial (making it a little hard to read sometimes). He emailed and explained the brand to me, so I began to respect why he chose it. Now, three years later, it's my most-worn automatic -- it's just more fun to wear than my more conventional watches.

Second story, in two parts: We bought a pair of watches for my parents for their 50th wedding anniversary. They're from another Swiss brand, not commonly known, but an independent, and they're actually pretty good-looking. We got a black-dial automatic for Dad. His reaction was, "Wow, thanks! You know, I was starting to think that I'd really like a nice Swiss watch sometime soon. This is great!" He totally digs it.

My mom, on the other hand, didn't know what to make of hers. When she looked at her new Swiss quartz, on a nice bracelet with a very pretty silver textured dial, she read the brand name and said, "... Uh, ok?" Never mind that it was five hundred bucks. But she knows Seiko, so I think she would've been happier with a decent Seiko as long as it was more waterproof than the cheap dime-store shiny watch she was wearing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts