WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
You raise a good point, at least one that I've wrestled with. I may have personally topped out in terms of sports watches at around that 10k range. Nothing Breguet excites me too much, but I think street prices on the FF and Polo S go around 10-12k, right? And I guess an argument could be made those watches may give me the step up I'm looking for without going all the way to 20k+ with the Overseas.

And the White Birch (or the identical watches with different dials sure to come) are probably 7-8k watches once the initial hype/demand drops off and they go for the usual GS discount.

So yea, good points, I actually agree with most of what you are saying.
As I have said in the past, I don't really go for high end sports watches. So I'm not the best to ask about these. But just a few years ago I was offered a Bathyscape for 7.5k at an AD. I declined because I really couldn't stomach spending that much on a diver, even if it was one of the few I didn't like. Piagets strike me as easy to get good deals based on my experience with Altiplanos, but I suspect Genta steels like the Polo probably are hard to get since everyone throwing money at Patek seems to not understand that putting your money back in your pocket is an option so they throw it at the next Genta steel.

Heck, if you want above GS level fit and finishing and don't mind a third party movement, go Minase (come on, who didn't think I would bring them up sooner or later). The Divido even has a slight Genta vibe. And it's cheaper. And has a great subtle and expressive dial.

Personally, if I were to go for a steel sports at the 10-20k range, I'd probably go Speedmaster 321. If I had to go Genta, probably Piaget. Piagets are quite well finished, if a bit large feeling (their current catalog at least). Maybe a Sky Dweller.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
How about the Bulgari Octo?

·
Premium Member
2,323 Posts
🍿🍿
Had seen other posts comparing GS to Rolex and Omega.......choosing against a trinity, will be interesting!!

Personally, I think VC is better - although I will probably never be able to afford one. I contemplated swapping my Skyflake to WB but was advised not to from "well wishers".
But in the 10-20K range, I would look at HMC and Czapek for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
🍿🍿
Had seen other posts comparing GS to Rolex and Omega.......choosing against a trinity, will be interesting!!

Personally, I think VC is better - although I will probably never be able to afford one. I contemplated swapping my Skyflake to WB but was advised not to from "well wishers".
But in the 10-20K range, I would look at HMC and Czapek for sure.
IMO, Trinity is overrated. AP has one watch. An amazing, historic watch, but people only talk about the RO. VC has the Overseas. Again, a crisp, beautiful watch with great finish, especially beautiful in blue...but the Overseas is VC, right? Patek, while I can see why people like them, their big fish has never really appealed to me on a personal level.

This isn't about dogging the Trinity at all, or the people who have them. Buy what you love I say, but for me, on a personal level, while i can appreciate they are great watch brands, I'd pick many ALS over them without even blinking. Maybe that make me a fool, or not a real watch guy, but if I'm dropping five figures on a watch, it's A. Lange & Sohne for me.

Reactions: iddaka

·
Premium Member
2,323 Posts
This isn't about dogging the Trinity at all, or the people who have them. Buy what you love I say, but for me, on a personal level, while i can appreciate they are great watch brands, I'd pick many ALS over them without even blinking. Maybe that make me a fool, or not a real watch guy, but if I'm dropping five figures on a watch, it's A. Lange & Sohne for me.
There have been a few posts that say ALS should replace VC or AP in the trinity. While I personally love the Zeitwerk, those watches are "out of syllabus" for my wallet. But I agree, ALS is a great option from the mainstream brands.
Hope you get your retirement ALS as per your plan!!

Reactions: JLittle

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
There have been a few posts that say ALS should replace VC or AP in the trinity. While I personally love the Zeitwerk, those watches are "out of syllabus" for my wallet. But I agree, ALS is a great option from the mainstream brands.
Hope you get your retirement ALS as per your plan!!
Thanks!

P.S., I LOVE to look at Czapek, but pricewise, they are mostly out of my league. My favorite one is like 160k. I could buy every ALS I want for that much :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Edit: I was thinking of another watch from another brand, so I take back what I said about prices of Czapek. My bad. I'd consider them and ALS. Still prefer ALS.

This one is cool and less than 20K, but they only made 10 and they are sold out.

This is my favorite:

Reactions: iddaka and Mediocre

·
Registered
144 Posts
If you’re going to play in the $20k range check out used ALS Lange 1 along with the VC. The Lange 1 isn’t a sport watch but you can dress it down and it’s a beauty. The VC Overseas is definitely more of a sport watch

if you’re more comfortable in the $10k range and want a sports watch, check out the Fifty Fathoms. You can get some beautiful used models around $10k.

·
Premium Member
14,621 Posts
You raise a good point, at least one that I've wrestled with. I may have personally topped out in terms of sports watches at around that 10k range. Nothing Breguet excites me too much, but I think street prices on the FF and Polo S go around 10-12k, right? And I guess an argument could be made those watches may give me the step up I'm looking for without going all the way to 20k+ with the Overseas.

And the White Birch (or the identical watches with different dials sure to come) are probably 7-8k watches once the initial hype/demand drops off and they go for the usual GS discount.

So yea, good points, I actually agree with most of what you are saying.
Sport watches in the $10k range to potentially consider (that I have not seen listed so far), not an exhaustive list...

Octo (Finissimo)
Laureato
Polo S
Tonda GT
Multiple GO, especially Sea Q
Polaris
UN Divers
If you really want a hot one right now, Zenith Chronomaster

·
Registered
167 Posts
As others have suggested, why not explore Czapek? Or even Moser?

Between the WB and VC, I’ll pick VC. Looks like a classic in the making and you already have a few GS, but no VC which is definitely the upgrade you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Sport watches in the $10k range to potentially consider (that I have not seen listed so far), not an exhaustive list...

Octo (Finissimo)
Laureato
Polo S
Tonda GT
Multiple GO, especially Sea Q
Polaris
UN Divers
If you really want a hot one right now, Zenith Chronomaster
Lol, you get me. I like at least 5-6 watches on that list.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
I would definitely not make any decision until you have handled them in person.

My other piece of advice is that if you did decide on the $20k VC route, take a step back and look at the $20k field thoroughly before proceeding.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
I would definitely not make any decision until you have handled them in person.

My other piece of advice is that if you did decide on the $20k VC route, take a step back and look at the $20k field thoroughly before proceeding.
Definitely ALL of this!

·
Premium Member
13,195 Posts
Lol, you get me. I like at least 5-6 watches on that list.
Once you go up to $15k there are a LOT of choices, and to be frank GSs really don't cut it, not compared to offerings in that price point.

GO, ALS, GP, JLC...just a few off the top of my head.

And if you want to stay around $10k, the Laureato and the Alpine Eagle are stupidly good for the money. The dial on the Chopard is mesmerizing to look at.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Once you go up to $15k there are a LOT of choices, and to be frank GSs really don't cut it, not compared to offerings in that price point.

And if you want to stay around $10k, the Laureato and the Alpine Eagle are stupidly good for the money. The dial on the Chopard is mesmerizing to look at.

View attachment 15934252
I agree about GS. I mean, they are GREAT value in the 4-7K range, punching well about their price point, but once you starting thinking about spending 12K or more, I would look elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

View attachment 15934252
Strangely, I've liked the Piaget Polo S for a while for a watch around that 10k level. Seems to get a lot of hate around the forums, but I've strangely liked it. I was thinking of checking it out at the AD never time I visit.

Reactions: mui.richard

·
Premium Member
13,195 Posts
Strangely, I've liked the Piaget Polo S for a while for a watch around that 10k level. Seems to get a lot of hate around the forums, but I've strangely liked it. I was thinking of checking it out at the AD never time I visit.
Oh don't get me wrong I don't hate the Polo at all. But it's a crowded playground around that price point and personally I simply prefer the aesthetics of Laureato and the Alpine Eagle*.

The original Polo, was a VERY nice design. Somehow I feel the current incarnation is a little too vanilla and lack a defining character.

Ultimately I decided on the Laureato instead of the Alpine Eagle due to the movement, more specifically how it looks. The way the GP movement is finished is simply more appealing to me.

·
Premium Member
5,020 Posts
Where the white birches at?!?!

·
Registered
440 Posts

View attachment 15934252
Yeah, I am really warming to the Alpine Eagle which is surprising as I did not care for it initially. The two tone version (also surprisingly) is very striking as well. I would like to see one in the flesh one of these days.

21 - 40 of 116 Posts